User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 10-11-2009 , 03:05 PM #1
Chris P
Administrator

Default Clothes-line versus Tumble-dryer / "Green" laundry

Hi Everyone,

As I write, the tumble-dryers of Ireland are probably going like the clappers. Our lovely Irish climate means that most people see these energy-guzzlers as a necessity, especially in winter, but our leccy bills would be a lot less if we could use the humble clothes-line more often.

However, an article in the New Scientist magazine (29/10/2009) reveals some startling news:

... clothes-lines evoke a negative emotional reaction from many Americans, who view them as flags of poverty;

... clothes-pegs are no longer manufactured by American firms (they are all imported);

... property owners often fear that a clothes-line in their neighbourhood will lower the value of their house;

... the dryer is the home appliance that causes the largest number of household fires in the USA: 15,000 every year, causing tens of millions of dollars in property damage;

... 80 per cent of US households own and operate a tumble-dryer;

... tumble-dryers use over 3 per cent of all household electricity in the USA;

... however, the "Project Laundry List" organisation (which is part of the "right to dry" movement aimed at overturning clothes-line bans) estimates that most of us could save about 10 per cent on energy costs if we did our laundry the green way - cold water, line dry, no bleaching or ironing.

"Project Laundry List"...here:
http://www.laundrylist.org/

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Pic #1: The clothes-line -- a flag of poverty or one way to save the planet? (Image by Andrzej Krauze)
Pic #2: One effect of global warming?
Attached Images

Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 11-11-2009 , 09:34 AM #2
Thewanderer_ie

Default The hangout

Okay, the owner is a friend of mine, but check this out. Might save a few bob, and looks good too!

ADMIN NOTE: Link below no longer working.

http://www.thehangout.ie/
Attached Images

Thewanderer_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-11-2009 , 09:52 AM #3
moloney2

Default Solar clothes dryer

In the part of Florida that my sister lives in you can buy a Solar clothes dryer - in other words a clothes-horse that you put in your backyard, it's not permanent so it gets around the byelaws. For those of us with a glasshouse - why not put your washing on a clothes-horse in there to maximise drying...
Best wishes
moloney2
Attached Images

moloney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-11-2009 , 12:08 AM #4
TickTock

Default Odryer

I heard about the Odryer on RTE radio/TV about a year ago.

http://www.odryer.ie/

I can't find a price on the website. It may have been around the same price as a tumble dryer - a bit pricey for what it consists of, although it looks like a good idea though.
Attached Images

TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-11-2009 , 12:43 AM #5
Chris P
Administrator

Default The Invisible Clothes-line

An Australian invention, I believe...
Attached Images

Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-11-2009 , 12:08 PM #6
vfom

Default clothes drying

I agree, It really annoys me to think that some people object to washing lines. It is a sign of insecurity. It really pains me to put the tumble dryer on when the clothes would be better dried outside. I have put some up in my greenhouse but my husband is a bit of a clothes line snob also so wont put up a washing line for me.
vfom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-11-2009 , 02:51 PM #7
chucken1

Default odryer

Hi. just got price from odryer people.... 500 euro!! EDIT>> 604euro if they deliver it and stand it up for you!
chucken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-11-2009 , 04:50 PM #8
TickTock

Default Odryer -- pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucken1
Hi. just got price from odryer people.... 500 euro!!
I thought as much. The people who invented the Odryer were on The Business on RTE radio. They consulted with a professional for what to charge. When they came back to the studio they decided on a price that people "would be prepared to pay for a tumble-dryer". That kind of thinking doesn't make sense. Surely they should base it on the cost price of producing and delivering the thing and then add on a bit more for profit. But just plucking a figure out of the air because people had been paying that price for the electrical product is absolutely ridiculous! Wonder if that price includes installation?

It's a great idea and I was originally interested in getting one, but far too pricey for me. Washing-line snobs would jump at it!!! lol!

My washing line is broken at present but I will be getting it fixed. For the winter I'm thinking of setting something up in the garage.
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-11-2009 , 07:43 PM #9
flerg

Default clothes airer

I have these airers on radiators all over the house, wouldn't be without them
and they're only a few pounds!

http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/content/eb...080/234080.jpg
Attached Images

flerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-11-2009 , 08:46 PM #10
chucken1

I use a clothes horse ALL the time. Hang the washing at night on the landing,heat rises,so in the morning the clothes are practically dry. "Smalls" go over the shower rail. If needs must, a short spin in the dryer. Otherwise I pop the whole lot into a bedroom with the window open...and off we go again at next load of washing!! give the washing a good shake before hanging to cut down on ironing. All you need is a routine of doing it so you are not looking at washing during the day!
chucken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-11-2009 , 09:24 PM #11
nishead

Default dryer

I am shocked by those facts but not too surprised.
Dryers are so innecessary and energy consuming not to mention the cost.
And if you shake clothes (not delicates) hard enough they dont need ironing either.
Not very time efficient but much better on cost and the environment.
nishead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-11-2009 , 09:40 PM #12
Merienne

Default Airdried laundry

I can't believe clothes-line evoke negative emotions!

Just imagine laundry flapping in the wind on a clothes-line in the garden on a sunny summer's day. (OK, I didn't grow up in Ireland.)

Having grown up in the countryside, getting into a bed that's just been made with clean, stiff, airdried bedclothes is the essence of summer for me.

I hadn't even thought that our neighbours might object to our clothes line in the back garden! Not that we get to use it much, but we have a clothes horse up permanently in our spare room. (IKEA has a large, high, square one that is space efficient.)
We don't store linen in our hot water cupboard, we just put towels and bedclothes in there to get them extra dry before we put them away. Also works great if you need an item of clothing dried overnight.

And how about the fact that tumble driers are really harsh on fabric?
It wears out a lot quicker if it gets tumble dried.
Merienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-11-2009 , 11:09 PM #13
B_Happy

Default Andrzej Krauze - "global warning"

Hi,

That's a very apt image on line 2 - evidence of global warming by the design of the undies. Great! Made me smile at least as Im surrounded by clothes in various stages, dry, wet, damp, dirty & using a clothes horse in the hall over night which is great as a quick air in the dryer is all that's needed.
Towels are the hardest to dry I find. Oh for the long hot summer of 2010... Please no more rain..We are nearly washed away now and it has everyone stressed out.

Happy drying!!
B_Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-11-2009 , 09:37 AM #14
moloney2

Default clothes-line versus tumble-dryer

Just to let you know that when you dry clothes inside the house eg. on a radiator etc. the water stays in the house if not properly ventilated and you get damp on your walls and around windows...I did it for several years and had to treat damp in two rooms of the house because of it. Make sure that there is always a window open where ever you have wet clothes. Just a thought on the issue of towels for any one who uses a gym or leisure centre the owners might offer a towel service for a small fee- it only cost my husband 10 euro for a full year and I do not have to deal with wet and smelly towels.
best wishes
moloney2
moloney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-11-2009 , 10:30 AM #15
Mandolin

Default Clothes Line cover

My Dad puts a sheet of builders polythene over the line, just pegs it down. It costs very little and it does the job, and you can fold it away when it's not raining. Simples!
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote