JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 06-01-2009 , 11:28 PM #1
jenniferalan

Default how do u dry your clothes?

I have problems with drying clothes, we took the lagging jacket off the cylinder in the hot press so hot air would dry clothes but i think that it is prob just costing more because most of the heat is being lost through the air?

some people say that a good idea is to leave clothes on a clothes horse by the fire at night and they will be dry in the morning, does this work? is there a weird smell off the clothes from the fire?

how do u dry ur clothes?
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 12:14 AM #2
kiara

Clothes horse by the fire works a treat, I have a drier but I think it shrinks/mishapes clothes when you dry them from wet, so I leave them on the clothes horse in front of the fire and air them in the drier in the morning (literally takes 5 minutes), Bedclothes and towels are the only things I put straight in the drier because they're bulky and would be in my way! Oh and all my clothes smell of Comfort! :)
kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 08:31 AM #3
nanonano

I have one of those Ikea wall uprights that you screw into the wall and it has brackets with a wire racket. If you don't need it it folds flat against the wall. It hangs close to the boiler so the clothes dry in a day.
My radiators do a good job as well although it doesn't look very neat.
nanonano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 09:15 AM #4
ireneo

Hi
Wet clothes around the house and especially in or near bedrooms can cause chest infections and breathing problems especially in children. Clothes horses need to be kept away from everyday rooms.
ireneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 09:51 AM #5
HappyHunter

I have my boiler double lagged, it does not prevent heat from rising from it, but it keeps the water hot throughout the day from the few times I run the central heating during the day.

Depending on the weather I place the clothes on the airer outside in the yard for a few hours during the day. I then move the airer into the room where the wood burner is and leave it there, depending on whether I am expecting visitors or not. Because my bathroom is a wetroom, as I had the bath taken out, I place a clothes airer in there over night with clothes on it or if I have visitors and I leave the little window open a bit to help keep condensation down.
HappyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 10:04 AM #6
cabinjumbel

Default drying clothes

I use a victorian airer, u can buy them in argos. Suspended from the ceiling in the kitchen over a solid fuel stove. Clothes dry overnight when stove is lighting. I would recommend it
cabinjumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 10:46 AM #7
misstake

Default drying clothes

i agree with the last person i have a clothes line across the kitchen its pulled out at night its not very nice during the day but all the jeans are dry in the morning then just pull the clothes off
its a great saving and no the clothes dont smell even putting jeans in a dryer costs a fortune Ialso use it for bedclothes in the morning i hang them outside for an hour getting the best of both worlds
misstake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 06:19 PM #8
MandyD

Hahaha..this was a topic of much discussion in my house for the last month.
Our dryer gave up the ghost and refused to even allow us to plug it in. If I took a picture of my kitchen floor right now, after buying a new dryer yesterday, it would probably shock the socks off you!
about six square foot, two feet high.....is my washing pile....we have a clothes horse, but with the sheer volume of washing that goes on in this house, I hadn't a hope in hell of getting it done. I was hanging towels over doors, and small clothes on the backs of kitchen chairs, as well as covering the radiators, and the horse, and the banisters of the stairs lol...clothes explosion!
You don't mind so much in the summer, not having a dryer, but in winter...I don't know how my mother and grandmother did it!

*shakes head in wonder of the skills of generations past*
MandyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 07:56 PM #9
marie065

i throw my towels and sheets etc over the upstairs banister works a treat :)

cheers marie
marie065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 08:01 PM #10
triciaL

Default drying clothes

i put a clothes horse up in the kitchen at night and the clothes are dry the next morning, (except jeans they are still damp) i have clothes airers on the kitchen radiator (cheap in argos) i put the socks on the radiator and the underwear on the radiator airers and all are dry the next morning and that way i dont have clothes hanging all over the house only in the kitchen. Bed linen i spread over the rail at the top of the stairs and that is also dry the next morning and doesnt get creased. A friend throws her bed linen over the top of her kitchen door and it dries there. (dust top of door before you do it for the first time)
triciaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 08:11 PM #11
tashad

I refuse to buy a drier. We lived in a house for a while where there was one and it was soooo wasteful. I will hang things on the washing line if there is any hope of even the heavy wet off them and then we have a few clothes horse that we use to dry them off with.
Ok having enough clothes that you can wait too helps but a warm room and clothes dryer saves you a fortune
tashad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 08:49 PM #12
jeana

I only ever use the dryer in an emergency= kids football gear's not dry - usually clothes on radiators but not in the bedrooms and clothes horse inside the hotpress upstairs- those little clothes peg yokes for socks hanging in the hotpress is great--Also- stop buying millions of stuff in the sales is a good idea- lol - wear and wash and only buy when replacing something that you have given to charity...
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 09:06 PM #13
kilk

i put a few rails in the hotpress near to the ceiling and hang all my wash on them. i also have louvre ( jt ) doors on it so the air circulates. i never have to iron shirts cos they dry perfectly on hangers!
kilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 09:11 PM #14
summersun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyD
Hahaha..this was a topic of much discussion in my house for the last month.
Our dryer gave up the ghost and refused to even allow us to plug it in. If I took a picture of my kitchen floor right now, after buying a new dryer yesterday, it would probably shock the socks off you!
about six square foot, two feet high.....is my washing pile....we have a clothes horse, but with the sheer volume of washing that goes on in this house, I hadn't a hope in hell of getting it done. I was hanging towels over doors, and small clothes on the backs of kitchen chairs, as well as covering the radiators, and the horse, and the banisters of the stairs lol...clothes explosion!
You don't mind so much in the summer, not having a dryer, but in winter...I don't know how my mother and grandmother did it!

*shakes head in wonder of the skills of generations past*

Hey Mandy D.... are you looking in my windows???? you could be talking about my home... My beloved washer dryer finally gave up the ghost after years of abuse and overuse (according to my husband) and owner of Flemings warned me off getting another , should never have listened to that man.... i now have no dryer.... started hanging clothes up in husbands beloved garage took a week to dry.... so started covering all the radiators in the house instead or in front of the wood burning stove (best option i think) no bad smells from doing this... but the summer sun is coming .... But i would really love to have a trusty old dryer back, all i used to dry were towels and bedding as i say drying shrinks clothes....but i miss one so much

DOES DRYING CLOTHES ON RADIATORS REALLY CAUSE CHEST INFECTIONS? NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE.

SUMMERSUN
summersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 09:41 PM #15
jeana

My daughter has Ashma from around 4 months of age- the Doc said no carpet- no sweeping floors- wet mop and no soft toys in the bedroom and don't dry clothes on radiator- keep room aired and not too hot- that's not great either heat can dry the air too much- after all the changes she's ashma free and got 2 gold medals and a silver on sports day- she said she slowed down as she wanted to let her friend win and she already had gold so she wanted a silver- she's a little pet...
So. I'd agree with not drying clothes on radiators in bedrooms.
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote