JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 10-12-2013 , 10:52 AM #1
ClaraHawk

Default Query re: self leveling compound

Would anyone have an idea how self leveling compound works and is it easy for a Diyer to use ? need to get my workshop floor sorted . All advice gladly accepted :)
ClaraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 27-01-2015 , 11:58 PM #2
Oscar15

Default Self levelling compound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraHawk
Would anyone have an idea how self leveling compound works and is it easy for a Diyer to use ? need to get my workshop floor sorted . All advice gladly accepted :)
What is wrong with your floor?? there are 2 types of compound. One is water based, mixed to a runny plaster consistency using a mixing handle or drill agitator and is used to smooth a slightly rough or gritty floor, the other is of an acrylic base which is purchased with the compound and is used to build up the floor to a height. The water based takes longer to dry so both need to be fully dry ( turned completely white) before you can walk or lay any flooring on top. Both will need a little help to spread with a trowel and may need sanding to smooth down any trowel marks left when dry.You will need to put some form of flooring on top because the compound will break up if walked on if not covered when dry.
Oscar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 28-01-2015 , 05:32 PM #3
Anfearisfearr

Default Floored

As stated neither is suitable as a workable finish as they will break up. Perhaps you need to dig out existing floor and relay a concrete slab. This can then be painted with floor paint to leave a durable workable surface.
Anfearisfearr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-05-2016 , 10:58 PM #4
patrickmossy

Default Floor Leveling Compound

It depends on why you want it level ie..... to tile or just to make it level.
If it is very uneven it may use a lot of SLC , this stuff is dearer than gold in Ireland !!! If its bad you may be able to either dig it out or screed over it depending on how you are fixed for having a decent thickness of screed , you may need to consider insulation. Do you currently have high heat loss through the floor or dampness or wet coming up? It sounds complex but like most diagnosis knowing more detail would be helpful and would decide the depth of the problem if you pardon the pun.
patrickmossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-06-2016 , 11:48 AM #5
mario40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraHawk
Self levelling compound is used by tillers and floor layers to address dips and levels on floors prior to laying top surfaces. It is mixed with water to create a runny mixture which will find its own level, but may require a little trowel work. Mix thoroughly to ensure there are no air bubbles in the mix and be careful not to mix too thickly or too over water the mix. Usually there will be instructions on the bag you buy which will recommend the amount of water to use. It is suitable to correct a level up too 2mm at a time. If there is a larger discrepancy then 2mm then more then one mix will be required. When I tiled my kitchen floor, I had to use 3 layers of compound on one section to correct the dip
mario40 is offline   Reply With Quote