JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 13-01-2009 , 03:15 PM #1
MandyD

Default Repurposing a Glass Block wall - any ideas?

When my friend bought his house, he immediately went about fixing it up and putting his own stamp on it. So he took down the bathroom wall facing the landing, and built it back up with glass blocks...not the best idea for a bathroom wall, if you ask me, especially since they were clear and not frosted (haha). He's recently been making sounds about getting rid of the blocks and just building the wall back up normally.
Instead of throwing them out, I said I'd take them - they're really expensive and it would break my heart to see them go in a skip!
During this Spring and Summer I want to try and get something done with my garden, as in the four years I've been living here, I've not done much else than cut the grass when it got so high you could get lost in it....hmmm
So I'm thinking of building a deck to my own design.
I want it to be roughly 10x10 - can't have it any bigger as my garden is quite small, and I want to build a rectangular shaped fish pond in the middle of it, that I can put some steel mesh over for safety.
I want to enclose it all using bamboo fencing and put a removable roof on it, also using bamboo with canvas underneath.
But here's the thing, I want to build a bar using those glass blocks..only, with such a small deck, I can't think of a way to fit it in - I can't see there being much room after the furniture and such goes in.
I really don't want to see those blocks go in the skip and would appreciate any ideas you guys have...such a creative force here....I'm sure someone will come up with something!

Thanks...and...um....may the (creative) force be with you lol

Mandy
Attached Images

MandyD is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 13-01-2009 , 06:21 PM #2
d.edlee

Default glass blocks

I think they would be lovely placed flat around your pond with some pot plants on them???
d.edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-01-2009 , 06:29 PM #3
mems

Default glass blocks

doesnt sound like ull have room for everthing u are mentioning but if u decide to NOT to use the blocks please contact me please. my son is also builing a half wall in his house!!!!!!!!! thank u and do post ur pics when ur projects finished. good luck!
mems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-01-2009 , 06:30 PM #4
upthedubs

Default Glass Blocks

Hi i also would love ideas i have blue glass blocks i bought them to go around a water fountain but they didnt look right so now every time i go out my back there just sitting there begging to be put to use so any ideas would be great or if anyone already done something in there gardenwith glass blocks i would love to see some photos so i can rob your ideas lol .sorry for useing your thread mandyd
upthedubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-01-2009 , 09:34 PM #5
AKO5

Default Glass Blocks

Hiya Mandy,
Love your idea - 10 x10 is small for all you want to fit in- So I would suggest to dump the pond and build the bar.
The pond will drive you nuts anyway, it'll freeze in winter and smell in summer the fish will die and even with the mesh over it, you'll still worry about kids- and they will drop little pebbles in it. NOT to mention you getting your heels stuck in the mesh when you are dancing on your decking after having a little drink from your beautiful glass block bar.
could you build a little curve to the side of the decking and put in a water feature- opposite the bar.
Well its a suggestion anyhow- I so love the glass block bar idea.
AKO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-01-2009 , 10:19 PM #6
angling mad

Default glass blocks

Maybe this will give you an idea Going to try and build something like this myself this year
angling mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-01-2009 , 10:19 PM #7
salandsorcha

Default glass block bar

They would look prety cool with lights behind them to light up the deck. maybe you could build a sort of glowing bench from them too. (solar powered of course to keep the eco heads happy). Or if you got a path you could build a low wall along it with them. Or if you got steps you could use them as risers and light the steps. That would look cool me thinks! Can you tell i like lights!
salandsorcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-01-2009 , 10:48 PM #8
Fries-With-That

Default Glass blocks

When you build your deck you'll have to take into account the fact that you want a bar in the area.

You can't build glass blocks directly onto a timber deck.
For safety reasons the glass blocks will have to be supported on at least one side by a wall and will have to be set onto a solid foundation.

You said you want a 10X10 deck design and as someone mentioned earlier a pond would take up a lot of your seating area , you'll also have to have room around the bar for it to be used.

I'd scrap the pond idea and go for a small wall mounted water feature or something small and unusual in one corner.

Below are a few floor plans for different deck sizes, if you calculate what size the furniture is you should be able to see what exactly you can fit onto the deck.

I used these plans because each one gives you an area ( smaller measurement) that you can put in a solid foundation for the bar.

Fries.
Attached Images

Fries-With-That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-01-2009 , 08:17 AM #9
MandyD

Some really great ideas here, guys...keep em coming!
MandyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-11-2009 , 07:41 PM #10
mw100860

Default re glass blocks

Hi mandy, just wondering if you ever made use of those glass blocks? If you didn't or have any left over I would love them. Trying to put a shower in an attic with a sloping roof and have decided to build one wall with glass blocks and put a curtain across the front as I cannot get a cubicle to fit unless specially made and you would'nt believe how expensive that is!
mw100860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-11-2009 , 06:19 PM #11
Reann

Default glass block wall

I would have them as the back part of thebar and placesome coloured lights behind themgiving it a really nice atmosphere or you could try have tham made into the two side pilars at each end or what about using them as the bar top again with lights.
Just a a thought,,makesure and keep us posted good luck
Reann is offline   Reply With Quote