JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 15-06-2009 , 12:13 AM #76
cheepwedding

Instead of having flowers in the church I had candles. Family and friends donated candle holders and stands for the day and everyone comented on how beautiful the church was. The people who got married the day before had so many flowers to go to the hotel they got left in the confessional booths and nobody noticed!!! Is there a need?!
cheepwedding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-06-2009 , 02:15 PM #77
kila2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheepwedding
Instead of having flowers in the church I had candles. Family and friends donated candle holders and stands for the day and everyone comented on how beautiful the church was. The people who got married the day before had so many flowers to go to the hotel they got left in the confessional booths and nobody noticed!!! Is there a need?!

I have noticed that a lot of weddings in my local church lately are using plain cream/ivory pillar candles with ivy (free from the garden) on the windows and they look beautiful and you can get pillar candles cheaply in a lot of pound (sorry euro) shops. Also, if time is one your side, keep an eye out in Lidl coming up to xmas as they usually do packs of ivory/cream candles in different shapes/sizes and packs of pillar candles and usually they are quite reasonable in price.
kila2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-06-2009 , 04:03 PM #78
kincorababe

Default savings all the way

Just a couple of saving ideas for you.....without losing attention to detail.

Invitations - buy the cream cards and envelopes - approx 50 in a box for 9.99. (Art and Hobbie Store) Print the information on white paper and glue to the inside. Get indian cotton paper to match your colour scheme and rip it into uneven squares (use 2 colours and overlap them). Put a gold sticker on top. Get gold stickers that say Wedding Invitation and put in the bottom corner. In total - for 150 invitations - it was €52 and everyone comments on how unusual and beautiful they are. If I have any left, I will take a photo and put up.

Photographer - Try asking a graduating art student to do the photos. Many want to increase their portfolio and are a fraction of the cost. Get them to put on a disc and print as you want them - not the €30 for each photo I paid!!!

PArty favors - only give to women. Men do not appreciate them. Alternatively - on ebay you could get candles in tins that have your names, date and picture on them for the women and match books to match for the gentlemen. I think my wedding favors were approx €60.

Another option - and I think it is one that everyone should consider - is get family members to buy something towards the wedding - like the cake or favors or maybe several contribute towards one thing.

Will post more ideas when I get a chance
kincorababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-08-2009 , 10:14 PM #79
pink sparkles

Hey all, i'm not getting married but i think this could be an interested money saving tip for ye! I found a site called swapshop
http://www.swopshop.ie/gallery.php
You swap your old clothes that you dont wear anymore (and i know us ladies have loads of those that just hang in the wardrobe lol) in exchange for other clothes (some designer) there are some lovely things like dresses, maybe they could be useful for bridesmaid dresses, they have hangbags and shoes also.
The shop is in dublin so just though it may be a useful thing to know for money saving!

Best of luck with everyone's wedding :)

Rose.
pink sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-08-2009 , 09:53 PM #80
cdnmum

Default flowers/table favours

Hi, I got married on a really tight budget, as we were paying for our own wedding and my husband was still in school. I was the only one with a job so I paid for the whole wedding. It was in early October in Canada, which is when sunflowers bloom and when Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving. It's a time of year when everything seems to be ready to harvest so, in keeping with the season, I did my table decorations in a harvest theme. I planned ahead and bought three little terracotta pots for each table, some soil, and a few envelopes of mixed miniature sunflower seeds and planted them on the date recommended on the envelope. Now I'm no genius, but sunflowers are pretty easy to grow and they all came up and bloomed in time for the wedding. They looked great on the tables and since there were 6 people at each table every couple got to take one pot home... so there was no need for table favours. Total cost of flowers: $40. Also, I bought a mixture of small autumn produce items like apples, pears, mini squash etc. and put on on each person's plate with a little name tag pinned on the front that I had made myself using a calligraphy font on my computer at home. That cost around $15. I had lots of seeds left over and sprinkled them on the tablecloths with some red leaves and voila, the tables looked quite pretty. I know that it is different here in Ireland but I'm sure you could adapt these ideas to suit a season here, for example have a spring wedding and do potted bulbs or something... anyway, that's my two cent worth. Best of luck!
cdnmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-10-2009 , 12:05 AM #81
shaunamona

Default Video student/Music student wanted

Hi,

I am getting married in Castletown Geoghegan but am not from the area. I was wondering if anyone would know any music students, that can sing and maybe play an instument at the wedding. Also a videographer student.

Any help would be great

Thanks
Shauna
shaunamona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 31-10-2009 , 12:00 AM #82
dee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunamona
Hi,

I am getting married in Castletown Geoghegan but am not from the area. I was wondering if anyone would know any music students, that can sing and maybe play an instument at the wedding. Also a videographer student.

Any help would be great

Thanks
Shauna

if they have a church choir you could ask a few of them,that's what we did.we got two videos taken by guests,and apart from the vows side of it .the videos were passed around for the day,supprising how much of your wedding you miss out on.

WEDDING TIPS;get most things as presents from family and close friends.

1=gave my future mother in law my measurements,only saw dress 5 days before wedding,georgous.ivory
2=my flowers were a from my mum.
3=photo album from all guests with camera,they each were asked to donate 10 photos of the day towards the album.
4=bridesmaid wanted a particular colour,told her buy her own,as a laugh,which she did and wore it to dinner dances after.
groom and co didnt want suits,so they wore trousers shirt and jackets,very smart.wore the chlothes after.
5=got our siblings to donate towards band,they also got a disco after.
6=we ordered 1 starter 1dinner 1 desert, no choice's given,we paid.
did the choir and video thing.
Had so much fun wiht friends and family,didnt go to bed till 4.20am. woke up hoarse,next morning from all the laughing and talking, didnt have a honeymoon as aussies were over.but sure we did the honeymoon bit before the wedding,,,lol,,, still had fun though.hows that for a budget....
almost forgot cake from bridesmaid.
dee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-01-2010 , 06:33 PM #83
valpal

Default wedding suggestions

1. Cut down on how many people that you have in your bridal party.

2. You could always have a smaller wedding cake and in the back room have a regular plain sheet cake to cut up for guests. Sheet cakes are a lot cheaper than a huge wedding cake.

3. Choose a better photographer and skip the videographer. How many times are you actually going to watch your wedding? You will most likely hang photos on your wall from your wedding. If you really want a videographer than get a student to do it for you.

4. Try to get family to help bake desserts ahead of time. You can skip the dessert table and serve your cake as dessert if you would like.

5.Watch what you pick for your dinner course. It doesn't have to be fancy or over the top. Sometimes simple meals that are good and filling are the best!

6. Shop around on 'where' you will hold the reception. Ask if they have centerpieces for the tables and what other items they have to offer. A coffee -tea bar would be a cool addition for the dessert table if you don't have too many desserts.

7. Buy inexpensive invites or make simple wedding invites. Most people just 'toss' them on the shelf after opening it.

8. You don't need the most expensive type of alcohol. You could have sparkling wine served to everyone instead of a champagne toast, or only serve champagne to the bridal party.

9. You could try to get a 'bridal sponsor' and tell them your wedding will be used to advertise their company. Well, it is worth a try. They may give you some freebies.. I have seen it done in the USA.

10. I would ask the church if they have a white runner for the aisle. I personally didn't spend much money decorating the church since I felt it was beautiful enough. I bought these 'pull the string bows' that were very inexpensive. They may sell them on ebay. You can decorate every 3rd or 4th pew or something.
valpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-02-2010 , 03:28 PM #84
bluecurlygirl

Well for what it's worth, I'm not married but I've been at a buffet wedding in the past and quite frankly it was the best wedding I was ever at. Everything was on a tight budget and it didn't matter one bit. The food was great, the music was mighty and the craic was ninety. A few people on here seem to have done their own weddings and stuff so maybe pm them and see how it went.
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-02-2010 , 09:57 PM #85
bluecurlygirl

Well yeah it was v laidback & de fact dat most of the guests did something at the wedding the whole thing meant so much more too e.g. everyone knew there was a tight budget so when my sister & i were invited we were also asked to sing so we did that for our present & other guests knew they weren't having flowers & things like that & suspected why so they offered to do that sort of thing. So they ended up with not too many gift wrapped presents but they thoroughly enjoyed their wedding and all the little things they thought they didn't want! But the food was laid out and there were big long tables set out kinda like you'd see at a banquet a "U" shape. Great crack cos everyone could see everyone else & the fun started there. Then as soon as the tables were cleared after the meal we all got up in our gladrags & rearranged the furniture to clear the dancefloor. We all got our drinks sorted, had a chat and then the band started (who were cousins of the groom) and I think every guest got up to sing at some stage so the dancing went on for about 5 hours I think!! Well I kinda remember 5 hours anyway ;-). Good luck with it wotever you do.
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-02-2010 , 07:22 PM #86
cathyj

Default Budget Weddings

Instead of gifts for your bridesmaids, mothers etc - make tokens as an IOU. A nights babysitting/ A day gardening etc - to give as a thank you to your attendants.

Make your own Wonka Bars. Instead of expensive favours - buy a small bar of chocolate (25c) for each guest - make new wrappers on the computer, One choc has 'the golden ticket' and wins a bottle of wine/ champagne etc. A great laugh!

Flowers can be a huge expense. Hiring vases for centrepieces can be a good way to cut down on costs. Pop in your own flowers from the supermarkets. Goldfish bowls/ bubble vases/ tall vases can be hired on www.sweetpeadesigns.ie
There are also ideas of how to double the use of all your flowers. Your pew ends can easily become table centres etc.

Catherine
cathyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-03-2010 , 09:29 AM #87
lislaw

Just looking at a thread in the wanted section for budgeting tips. One jt'er suggested looking in second hand/charity shops ( or even Dunnes etc, now that I think of it) for inexpensive communion dresses to use as flowergirl dresses. And to simply add a waistband/bow in the bridesmaid colours to tie the dress in. I've also suggested adding a tulle underskirt to give the dress more volume and to add trimming to the end of the underskirt in bridesmaid colours.
lislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-03-2010 , 10:47 AM #88
Merienne

To Bubbles 747- I think buffet wedding meals are great. A lot of people would do them where I'm from. The buffet style has the advantage that everybody can choose what they want, and go back for seconds at their leisure. You just que up table by table, and then sit back down and eat, it's not like you mingle while eating or anything. Queing doesn't take any longer than serving at the tables anyway.

I have to say about the weekday weddings though- not popular with friends and family. Yes, you might save a bit, but think about the fact that everybody has to take time off from work for it. I just don't think that's fair.

I honestly had not heard of favours- to me it's a ridiculous idea. I'm sure the guests honestly couldn't give a damn.

I agree with the people who say cut down on your wedding party- I'm sure you don't need 6 bridesmaids in "Vera Wang". Maybe 2 in "Monsoon" will do.

People here spend such a HUGE amount on wedding gifts. Like so many here have pointed out- ask for parts of the wedding as a present instead, at least from family and close friends. From others you can ask for a contribution to your honeymoon- that way you don't have to worry about having enough spending money saved up.

But lastly- here's a crazy idea... how about considering whether YOU actually want to have a wedding at all. Some of us choose to just be partners, even with kids and all...
Merienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-03-2010 , 08:07 PM #89
TickTock

Default Budget Wedding Tips

http://beautifulpaper.typepad.com/oh...er-stamps.html

I was wandering around the internet and found this site which might be of interest to everyone here on the wedding thread. You may not do it exactly the same but there are some interesting ideas. Check out the invitations on the second page.
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-03-2010 , 08:22 PM #90
TickTock

Default Budget Wedding Tips

When getting married, couples consult professionals about the event, the catering, the clothes, the hairdresser, the florist, the car hire company, the estate agent, the jeweller, the religious/registrar, the list goes on.

If anyone is considering entering into a (someone please think of another word for it!) 'partnership', could I recommend you have a chat with another professional, a solicitor, regarding what really happens regarding property and children in the case of break-up, or death. I just suggest this as I've heard horror stories.
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote