Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 20-05-2009 , 08:23 AM #1
Olivino

Default Raised beds for veg etc

Hi folks,
I'm wondering if anyone here can point me in the right direction, i'm looking to make raised beds to grow firstly a few vegetable and herbs. The kids are mad to start except I haven't the foggiest idea on where to start. Or has anybody got any other suggestions on other places to grow then in. Also what vegetables etc. are easiest grown?
Thanks ever so much in advance.
Olivino is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 20-05-2009 , 08:35 AM #2
thepallasbull

Default herbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivino
Hi folks,
I'm wondering if anyone here can point me in the right direction, i'm looking to make raised beds to grow firstly a few vegetable and herbs. The kids are mad to start except I haven't the foggiest idea on where to start. Or has anybody got any other suggestions on other places to grow then in. Also what vegetables etc. are easiest grown?
Thanks ever so much in advance.
Hi I used to grow a lot 1 time and if you get your self a few of the large plastic barells you can fill these with soil almost to the top .
you can plant you herbs up on top and if you cut circular 2inch holes all around the barrell staggered you can stick in strawberry plants .
hope this is of some help
thepallasbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-05-2009 , 09:20 AM #3
Olivino

Thanks pallasbull for that idea. I'll keep an eye out for some. Just goes to prove if i didn't ask i wouldn't have found out that.
Any one else have more ideas?
Old Posted: 20-05-2009 , 09:23 AM #4
bandit

TOM thumb or tom thumbler mini tomatoes in hanging baskets loads of little tomatoes from each plant,
bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-05-2009 , 07:29 PM #5
Olivino

Thank bandit, love tomatoes.. Yum. What fabulous ideas are out there.
Old Posted: 20-05-2009 , 08:46 PM #6
AKO5

You could buy Grow bags , and plant lettuces, scallions and radishes in them- All really easy to grow -and NO Digging.
Peas are great for Kids - but you have to stake them - but they are really easy and you normaly get a bumper crop and added benefit ,crop some early and use as mange tout-

Great to send child out to the garden to get fresh peas for dinner and takes them ages to shell them- great value to keep them occupied,-and whats more they eat them too.

Potatoes can be grown in anything at all- like a bucket./ flower pot.

Just get one that has sprouted _ big white tuber thing from side- IYKWIM or put an old one in the hot press - it'll sprout in time- split it lengthways and plant it. After a few months you'll have lovely fresh spuds- Be aware though that they only take about 10 mins to cook straight from the garden.
Hope this helps.
AKO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-05-2009 , 08:56 PM #7
Bawnie

Default Veg!

Get some free fish boxes, sometimes washed ashore, or often shops have large containers of mayonnaise, mayonnaise buckets! :) These are excellent for growing in. A playschool i know has different coloured buckets for each child and they have lettuce, tomatoe plant and scallions in each bucket, a salad on the go ! I think its great! ;) Something easy is what you want, but progress needs to be seen too! Peas yes, as they climb up themselves and are amazing, stick in a long branch for support and up they go! ;) For you, Sweet pea, it does the same, it climbs and the smell....mmm! All the best! Siobhan
Bawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-05-2009 , 09:18 PM #8
bandit

Grew peas last year and staked them with twigs, not one of them made the cooker as we ate them all after shelling them lol
Old Posted: 20-05-2009 , 10:56 PM #9
Olivino

I remember years ago my dad grew them (peas) and used to go mad at us for eating them all from the garden. Can't wait to get started, gonna round up some stuff thats been mentioned. Can you just use compost to plant them in?? Sorry but i'm a total novice.
Old Posted: 21-05-2009 , 12:04 AM #10
bandit

you can use whatever you like but i use earth and manure, horse or cow manure easily got for me because i live in the country, but if you just use compost it would work out expensive and if by any chance we do get a warm summer it would dry out very quickly,
Old Posted: 21-05-2009 , 08:13 PM #11
MrsWalton

If you are interested in growing your own, the very best web site, especially the forums can be found at www.chat.allotment.org.uk

Can't recommend it enough.
MrsWalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-05-2009 , 09:51 PM #12
dublindy

Default Planning a veggie garden

Here's a useful source of info - http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1161.html
dublindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-05-2009 , 02:08 PM #13
Olivino

Going to check out them sites now. Thanks for the links.