JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Posted: 11-11-2010 , 07:51 PM #1
kiwicooke

Default Best insulation for a dog kennel?

Hi All,

Just a general enquiry as to what would be the best solution to insulating a kennel for my hyperactive 7 month old cocker spaniel?

We had a smaller kennel for him as a pup and stapled a pillow onto the floor of the kennel and he just ripped it out of it, so what would be the best that you have used before or what would you recommend?

I don't want to go out spending loads of money on the likes of a doggy cushion for him to drag out of the kennel into the lashing rain to be ruined (as he has done before! lol)

Any help or advice would be much appreciated,
Thanks in advance,

Kiwicooke :)
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 11-11-2010 , 08:52 PM #2
Leo1

Default Dog bed

I use fleece blankets; they are cheap, easy to wash & very quick to dry. You should be able to get them cheaply in Penneys maybe. In the winter I put in two.
Old Posted: 12-11-2010 , 09:39 PM #3
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Default dog kennel

We tried different things and the dogs pulled them out into the rain. Finally got ordinary door mats, you know the brown hairy ones that look like they are made from coconut fibre or something and put them in at the back of the kennel. Now the dogs curl up on them out of the rain and only sit at the front opening with their noses out when it is sunny. They never tried to take the mats out. Don#t know if this is because they are too heavy or they don't like feel of them in their mouth.
Old Posted: 13-11-2010 , 09:57 AM #4
intransit

when we had a dog, I got a roll of attic insulation and a sheet of half inch plywood, I cut the plywood so It would fit the inside walls of the kennel, then lined the inside walls with the insulation, then I tacked black plastic bags to oneside of the cut plywood( stops moisture seeping through) and screwed the panels to the inside of the kennel, I tacked rubber mats to the floor and our dog was well impressed with his cosy kennel.
Old Posted: 14-11-2010 , 12:48 AM #5
mw100860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
We tried different things and the dogs pulled them out into the rain. Finally got ordinary door mats, you know the brown hairy ones that look like they are made from coconut fibre or something and put them in at the back of the kennel. Now the dogs curl up on them out of the rain and only sit at the front opening with their noses out when it is sunny. They never tried to take the mats out. Don#t know if this is because they are too heavy or they don't like feel of them in their mouth.

Don't know about that Eibhlin, my two idiots chewed up one of those mats that I had at the front door, left it in bits.
Old Posted: 16-11-2010 , 06:31 PM #6
kiwicooke

Quote:
Originally Posted by intransit
when we had a dog, I got a roll of attic insulation and a sheet of half inch plywood, I cut the plywood so It would fit the inside walls of the kennel, then lined the inside walls with the insulation, then I tacked black plastic bags to oneside of the cut plywood( stops moisture seeping through) and screwed the panels to the inside of the kennel, I tacked rubber mats to the floor and our dog was well impressed with his cosy kennel.

My dog would be smiling in at me if I done all that for him, lol, How much did it cost you to do the lot?
Old Posted: 16-11-2010 , 06:34 PM #7
kiwicooke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

My cocker is a right little brat, so i'm not sure if it would be safe to put a mat in his kennel, we were staying in my brothers a few weeks back just over night and he had pulled apart my brothers backdoor mat and had it all over the garden!
Old Posted: 16-11-2010 , 06:35 PM #8
kiwicooke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo1
I use fleece blankets; they are cheap, easy to wash & very quick to dry. You should be able to get them cheaply in Penneys maybe. In the winter I put in two.

He would probably pull it out into the rain like all the rest :( thanks for your reply :)
Old Posted: 16-11-2010 , 07:19 PM #9
intransit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwicooke
My dog would be smiling in at me if I done all that for him, lol, How much did it cost you to do the lot?
It cost me 40e, our dog is gone but that kennel is still in use keeping a friends dog warm.
Old Posted: 16-11-2010 , 09:02 PM #10
kiwicooke

Quote:
Originally Posted by intransit
It cost me 40e, our dog is gone but that kennel is still in use keeping a friends dog warm.

Not bad! will look into it, thanks! :)
Closed Thread