JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 29-12-2008 , 11:26 PM #1
jenniferalan

Default heating houses

The weather is getting so frosty now and my house is cold at night altho we do have the heating on, just wondering would u guys have any tips on heating a house? tips like how to stop draughts and that sort of thing would be appreciated!
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 30-12-2008 , 12:04 AM #2
shonastar

Hi Jennifer, the obvious would be to sew and stuff somes 'snakes' to stop any draughts at the bottom of any doors leading outside. Great fun for kids and if you make them yourself you can choose colours, fabric etc. Another tip I've heard is to line the back of radiators with tin foil, it reflects heat back into the room, haven't tried that one yet, but it's so inexpensive it's worth a try!
Hope to have been of help and Happy New Year x
shonastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-12-2008 , 10:10 AM #3
elbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonastar
Hi Jennifer, the obvious would be to sew and stuff somes 'snakes' to stop any draughts at the bottom of any doors leading outside. Great fun for kids and if you make them yourself you can choose colours, fabric etc. Another tip I've heard is to line the back of radiators with tin foil, it reflects heat back into the room, haven't tried that one yet, but it's so inexpensive it's worth a try!
Hope to have been of help and Happy New Year x

Hi Jennifer,
Think we all have the same problem at the moment. Our radiators are fine (if you sit right beside them), but when you turn them off the house gets very cold in no time at all. My hubby has draught excluder on doors (all doors), tinfoil at back of radiators, etc. and house is still cold. Roll on Easter.
elbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-12-2008 , 12:39 PM #4
misstake

Default heating

Another thing is your windows -- close the curtains and make sure they are lined I spend every second week at my mums she has heating also a big fire it was only after closing the curtains i really felt the warmth in the room I couldnt believe how much heat escapes out the windows
hope this helps i know it works Oh if your rads are under the window put the curtains behind the rads to keep the heat in Good luck
bernie
misstake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-12-2008 , 12:41 PM #5
kilk

if you use thermal lined curtains it certainly makes a big difference.
kilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-12-2008 , 07:19 PM #6
rccrchickie

You could hang a lined curtain over the external doors. You can buy special curtain poles that are hinged and move with the door. It makes a big difference.
rccrchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-12-2008 , 10:52 PM #7
jenniferalan

Thanks very much for all the tips! I'm going to close the curtains a bit earlier in the evenings, make some "snakes" and try the tin foil on the rads!

kilk just wonderin where i would get thermal lining for curtains?

any tips on how to stop draughts from pvc double glazed windows? should there even be a draught if they're double glazed?!
Old Posted: 01-01-2009 , 05:54 PM #8
jenniferalan

Is there such thing as a paint insulator for walls that u paint on before u put ur normal paint on?
Old Posted: 01-01-2009 , 05:56 PM #9
mammasboys

Default heating a house

There shouldn't be any draught around a double glazed window. Try moving a candle around the perimeter of the window and see if the flame moves. There could be something wrong with the seals.
Otherwise the other obvious thing is insulation in the attic. I presume you've nailed that. There is also a paint additive that increases the insulation of the surface you paint it on to. It's costs about €30 for 5 litres. Google "paint that insulates".
On the plus side, I always believe that it is unhealthy to sleep in a house that is too warm or under ventilated. In the meantime, put on another layer and get a hot water bottle! Good luck!
mammasboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-01-2009 , 12:11 AM #10
jenniferalan

Thanks for the advice Mammasboys, i have the electric blanket on and a nice fire lol. i googled the paint and i think ill be able to get it in Woodies which is down the road, many thnks again
Old Posted: 05-01-2009 , 01:16 PM #11
misstake

Default heating

just got a quote for wall insulation on a two story house ok a small semi and its 750 euro my neighbour has it done nd says its brilliant now going to check as im told there is a grant to get it done
Old Posted: 05-01-2009 , 01:19 PM #12
jenniferalan

750 euro, wow thats actually not too bad, especially if a grant is available. How old is ur house? Mine is a small semi as well, 3 bed and its about 25-30 yrs old
Old Posted: 05-01-2009 , 02:30 PM #13
IRISH_iiiis

Default Keeping jack frost away

Hi there, it sounds like you do indeed need your walls injected with insulation, also its never ant harm to add extra insulation in the attic as a lot of heat is lost this way... i would check with the local county council as some if not all do this for you. alternatively they may provide you with a grant for this and also window/ heating system up grade..... worth a try... bye for now Darren
IRISH_iiiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-01-2009 , 02:37 PM #14
misstake

Default heating

mine around the same age and three roomed will let you know but was told that will be no problem just a shame am out at mums this week so cant look into it But my neighbour said its made a huge difference to the warmth of his house and its same as mine
Old Posted: 05-01-2009 , 08:42 PM #15
4eyes

Default Keeping Warm

Invest in a few vests or fine t-shirts, they work wonders , also over the knee socks, and wear two pairs of panties at a time, no I am not joking, it is marvellous.
I am sitting here with my over the knee socks, trousers and t-shirt and a big woolleen hand knit jumper (Bought at a market stall for E4) only heat on in my computer area is the wardrobe radiator and I keep the wardrobe door open.
Look in places like TK Max or Dunnes Stores and invest in 100% wool jumpers, look at the sheep in cold weather.
Reduce your heating thermostat by a good few degrees say 10 but the secret is to leave on a little longer as it is more econimical to keep a room warm than to heat it from cold.
Good news heating oil is cheaper than it has been for years.
Save up over summer if you have a chimney and buy a little non boiler multi fuel stove for your living area, it's also great for getting rid of all those cardboard boxes, newspapers etc etc, and will also keep you warm and of course will cook your stew or heat water for a cuppa, to be ever so thrifty when water has boiled put it in a flask for the morning cuppa will boil in electric kettle in a few seconds, or even cheaper heat in a saucepan on hob. There are lots of ways to economise, given a long hard look at all we waste.
Buy 2 hot water bottles!!!
4eyes
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote