JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 02-05-2011 , 07:33 PM #16
sparkwell

Its true times have changed. Most of the brown bin waste will be sent to compost plants which can handle all types of waste including meat. Its definitely not a good idea and illegal to feed food scraps to pigs - that is how the last foot and mouth disaster happened!
sparkwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-05-2011 , 10:53 PM #17
eco-freak

Here is a possible solution to the bad odours, fruit flies and other undesirables in your brown bin. Its called a Loofen and it dries out your food waste, reduces the weight and volume so I guess you won't have to empty it as often even.
Check out at http://www.purchase.ie/product-detail.php?id=132
eco-freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-05-2011 , 11:59 PM #18
TickTock

I checked out your link. It's electric, and costs €189.95!!!! Sorry, I'm not in that tax bracket, and I'm afraid I never will!!
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-05-2011 , 09:00 AM #19
eco-freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock
I checked out your link. It's electric, and costs €189.95!!!! Sorry, I'm not in that tax bracket, and I'm afraid I never will!!

It's electric alright but runs off just 100 Watts in full power mode and 10 Watts in power save mode. It is estimated it adds about €12 per bill to you energy costs over the course of the year if you were to use it every day.
After the initial outlay and the ongoing electricity cost the only other cost is the filter refills about once a year which is about €25 including delivery.
Alot of people that compost like the product also cause it helps them rid of fruit flies and also helps to quicken the composting process.
Its Wednesday and the Lotto doesn't care what tax bracket your in!
Old Posted: 04-05-2011 , 09:15 AM #20
TickTock

Ha! I regularly do the Lotto (once every two years!!) and I haven't won yet!!

Just noticed that you are a newbie here. Welcome to Jumbletown!!
Old Posted: 04-05-2011 , 09:42 AM #21
eco-freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock
Ha! I regularly do the Lotto (once every two years!!) and I haven't won yet!!

Just noticed that you are a newbie here. Welcome to Jumbletown!!

Thank You. Never heard of it before but Im delighted to see its got a a Green Zone section so now that Im here Im sure I will be back often!
Old Posted: 13-07-2011 , 10:55 PM #22
TickTock

Hi all. I'm nearly a year living with a brown bin and as I said earlier I decided to stop using the bin for the summer months due to the smell and wotnots that evolve in the warmer weather. Maybe come the winter I'll be brown binning again. In the meantime the bad news is we had an large infestation of mice at the front of the house in the garden close to the bins so that was the final straw. I've been baiting for a couple of weeks and the evidence is lessening thankfully. I got some advice from one of the professional rat-catchers who said that there is a lot of mouse/rat activity in the area right now. My friend who lives about a mile away has a rat problem. The professional I spoke to said the main problems are domestic composting and feeding birds. Sorry to say, I am no longer 'green' unfortunately.
Old Posted: 23-07-2013 , 10:02 AM #23
Biofinch

Default Solution to Brown Bins

The key issues with Brown Bins are well known; They omit a Bad Smell, they need to be constantly cleaned, and they attract flies & maggots.

We here at Biofinch have become the official distributor for Joraform Compost Tumblers in the UK & Ireland.

The Compost Tumblers are designed to eliminate the hassles of Brown Bins. For example, they come with a Standing or Wall-mounted platform to stop pests getting in.

On top of that, they produce mature compost within 6 weeks per chamber.

Visit us at www.Biofinch.com or Find us on Facebook
Attached Images

Biofinch is offline   Reply With Quote