JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 26-02-2009 , 12:51 AM #1
Moeby

Default Why are printers cheaper than cartridges?

Hi everyone, I went today to replace my ink cartridges for my printer (homework again, wonder how we managed without computers), Well I have a Cannon MP460 printer with scanner and all that, but when I wen to Aros to replace the cartridges, I discovered it was costing me almost E53 to replace, but there was another printer with exactly the same cartridges for E39.99. How does this make sense? It would be cheaper for me to but the completly new printer for E13 less and throw away the rest of the printer than to buy 2 new cartridges for my own printer. How does this make ecological sense???????? Am I just raving or does anyone else find the same.?? I paid more to replace my cartridges than a new printer would cost, check out the Argos catelogue.
Moeby is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 26-02-2009 , 12:59 AM #2
jenniferalan

Hi Moeby, I've noticed this before, it is scandulous and complete robbery!

Don't buy new cardridges but get the old ones re-filled! I live in Galway and have heard of a good few places that do this so there should be a few up ur way too. Think it's only 10e a cardridge and u are helping the environment!
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-02-2009 , 10:42 AM #3
TheBear

I presume it's because most people won't actually buy the new printer each time they want the cartridges, and people will have to keep on buying the consumables once they have the hardware.

Cynical? Me?
TheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-02-2009 , 12:57 PM #4
smokeyeyes

Completely agree with you. This drives me mad!! Price of refill cartridges approx €35 each = €70.........New printer €39.95. Makes no sense. Used to refill my own with kit from Tesco, but unfortunately it doesn't always work.

Jenniferalan, as regards getting cartridges refilled, i priced them in Cartridgeworld - they were only charging a few euros less than new cartridges!! Also not all printers will let you use refills in them. Next time I buy a printer I will definitely be buying one that lets you change just the colour that is missing. The problem with one colour cartridge refills is once one colour is gone the cartridge is no use, which is a complete waste.
smokeyeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-02-2009 , 01:50 PM #5
adio

Default cheap cartridges

Hi there I saw your thread and i also have a canon and buy all my cartridges from the uk on e bay some actual cannon make and also cannon compatibile which are just as good,try it it saves a fortune best regards Adi
adio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-02-2009 , 06:15 PM #6
Moeby

Default printer cartridges

Thanks adio must look into this. I did use refil cartridges on an old printer once and didn't find them very good. Maybe I was just unlucky.
Old Posted: 26-02-2009 , 09:15 PM #7
Big A

Default Printer ink

Try 7dayshop.com I find them very reasonable
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-02-2009 , 10:12 PM #8
tasmin

Default hi

i totally agree with you!
i had to get cartriges for my printer and was disgusted to find that they were almost the same price as i paided for the printer.

J.A, i never realised you could have these cartriges refilled!!!
but i will certainly be looking into it!

tas
tasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-02-2009 , 10:53 PM #9
Moeby

Default Printer cartridges

Thanks Big A, never heard of this before, will try next time I am in need of cartridges.
Old Posted: 27-02-2009 , 12:08 AM #10
xmillyx2007

Default cartridges and printers

I have a printer but never use it don't need to at the minute...
But i am going to be doing a course soon and am glad i seen this tread as i didn't know cartridges were more expencive than printers but i'll sure be shopping around now...
thanks for the heads up...
xmillyx2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-02-2009 , 02:13 PM #11
Bubbles2

I was curious about the prices of printers in relation to the cost of the cartridges also and I found out that (a) the cartridge which comes with the printer when you buy it first does not last very long as compared with the cartridges which you buy afterwards and (b) if you notice that the more expensive printers when it comes to replace the toners for them they work out much cheaper - so I came to the conclusion that the manufacturers sells the unit cheap but get their money back on the cartridges and if the unit is expensive they are satisfied then to sell the toners cheaply!!! Thats only my opinion though - others might not agree!!
B2
Bubbles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-02-2009 , 02:44 PM #12
nanonano

I remember reading somewhere that the average printer is around 100 euro and cartridges around 1500 euro for the lifetime of the printer.
That's the way companies make their money.
I buy my cartridges on Ebay, 10 euro compared to 25 in tesco.
I'm sure, if googled there must be a best value for money printer website somewhere.
nanonano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 02-03-2009 , 01:48 AM #13
seanp

Default Re Printer

This might not be very green, but what I have heard of 'other people' doing is in Argos when you buy a printer you take out the insurance offered. When the printer stops working for you and DOES NOT PRINT you bring it back and they replace it no questions asked. Now you as a lay person who knows nothing about printers and computers need not concern yourself with why this happened you just know 'MY PRINTER DOES NOT WORK'.
Cheers
Sean
seanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 02-03-2009 , 11:01 PM #14
orca

I like they way you think on that one.

I have a freind who does this with her christmas decorations for outside she gets them in argos with insurance and amazingly whenever her insurance is nearly up her lights always stop working or bits of them blow and she exchanges them for new ones. How unlucky is she that this always happens her
orca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 02-03-2009 , 11:05 PM #15
gillo

Hmm, it would seem some of you on this thread are not half as green as you are cabbage looking LOL!
gillo is offline   Reply With Quote