Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 10-03-2009 , 08:58 PM #1
The Mammy

Default Support Earth Hour 2009

Hi All.
All our family took part in earth hour last year, I heard it advertised today and I Thought I'd give it a mention here....
All you have to do is turn off all unnecessary lights for 1 little hour at 8.30pm on March 28th.

''Make your future bright (!) and turn off that light, and support Earth Hour 28th March at 8.30pm!

First begun by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) in Sydney, Australia, in 2007 as a way of raising awareness of the impact an individual can have on energy consumption. Last year the idea went global and 50 million people dimmed their lights.

Last year's Earth Hour was both successful and fun for those who took part. Callers to radio stations around Ireland in the days afterwards expresssed genuine dissapointment that they had not heard of the event. Even so, Eirgrid reported reductions of 50 megawatts - enough electricity to power 32,500 homes.

This year, Earth Hour will take place at 8.30pm on 28th March.

Cheers
The Mammy

For more info check out www.earthhour.org

http://www.earthhour.org/about/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00YWw17I61Q

http://friendsoftheirishenvironment.net/?id=26
The Mammy is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 10-03-2009 , 09:12 PM #2
nanonano

Your very good for posting this. We did it last year as well. Although my kids were going around the house ....Why????......
nanonano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-03-2009 , 09:18 PM #3
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mammy
This year, Earth Hour will take place at 8.30pm on 28th March.
Thanks for the reminder, Mammy.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-03-2009 , 12:30 AM #4
colmsmum

I don't listen to the radio much & missed it last year too, I was so disappointed. Thanks for reminding us Mammy, I'll definitely do it this year, sure whats an hour!
colmsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-03-2009 , 12:02 PM #5
unapam

Default dimming the lights

Will do!
unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-03-2009 , 09:30 PM #6
The Mammy

Default 3 Days to go.....

Bumpin' as a Reminder
Cheers
Old Posted: 25-03-2009 , 10:04 PM #7
louisec

Default earth hour

I'll do it and I'll say it at work too.
Thanks
louisec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-03-2009 , 11:59 PM #8
brummiegirl

Default earth hour

I did this last year...I think I was the only person in my street though... there's not enough press about it for such an important event, esp when you see the effort other countries make. I think we need it to be rammed down our throats before any attention is taken lol :-)
brummiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-03-2009 , 12:30 AM #9
nono

Default Ditto Brummiegirl

I agree with above poster, I also was the only person on my street. Nobody else had heard about it til afterwards. Hopefully it will get more advertising this year BEFORE the fact.

Best Wishes, Nono
nono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-03-2009 , 10:03 AM #10
TheBear

Get people you work with involved. I work in a university, and they release a ton of GHG no a typical evening between 8.30 and 9.30. They've told everyone about Earth Hour, and are seeing how much they can cut it down by. Looking at the amount of the reduction will help to drive home the point that small actions make a huge difference. There's no need for a thousand computers or printers (or whatever) to be left on over the weekend!
TheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-03-2009 , 12:37 PM #11
mrsl

I did my own personal email campaign on this last year. I sent out an email to everyone in my contacts list and asked them to forward it on to their contacts.

I got replies from people I didn't know in USA, Belgium, Africa and Australia!They had been forwarded my email by someone else.

I've already sent out an email this year and will be sending a reminder before Saturday.

I also sent texts to everyone on my mobile phone contacts. (I get free online texts) I got lots of texts from people at 8.30pm that night telling me they were sitting in the dark, having meals by candle light etc.

I felt great knowing that I managed to turn out lights and appliances in more than just in my house.
mrsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-03-2009 , 09:33 AM #12
Moeby

Default Lights out

Hi, this is actually the first I heard of this event, is it just lights or complete power out for the hour? I know my kids love when there is a power cut we usually make toast at the open fire with bread on the end of a fork and if we have marshmallows we toast them too. The kids think it's great. I had actually thought of having an odd evening when we pulled the trip switch for a couple of hours just to cut back on costs, maybe we could all try this. Kind regards.
Moeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-03-2009 , 10:57 AM #13
mrsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeby
Hi, this is actually the first I heard of this event, is it just lights or complete power out for the hour? I know my kids love when there is a power cut we usually make toast at the open fire with bread on the end of a fork and if we have marshmallows we toast them too. The kids think it's great. I had actually thought of having an odd evening when we pulled the trip switch for a couple of hours just to cut back on costs, maybe we could all try this. Kind regards.

Moeby, tutn off anything that is not absolutely necessary...tv...lights, computer, heaters, etc...turn anything that is on standby off too...microwave, dvd player, cd player etc.

Have fun!
mrsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-03-2009 , 11:24 PM #14
nono

Default Earth Hour - Dont Forget

DONT FORGET EARTH HOUR TOMORROW NIGHT (saturday) @ 8.30
nono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-03-2009 , 11:34 PM #15
The Mammy

Default Media Release for earth hour

Hi All

Getting closer now to Earth hour 2009 .....
I copied this from the Earth hour site

''''''MEDIA RELEASE: EARTH HOUR 2009 – WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?

Celebrating Earth Hour
March 28, 2009: Cuddling up with your loved ones and admiring the stars in the night sky or organising a treasure hunt in the dark? At 8:30pm on Saturday 28 March, people from all corners of the world will turn off their lights for one hour - Earth Hour - and cast their vote for action on climate change. Anybody can participate and join together with millions of people across the globe celebrating Earth Hour.

Earth Hour is about taking simple steps everyday that collectively reduce carbon emissions – from businesses turning off their lights when their offices are empty to households turning off appliances rather than leaving them on standby.

Here are 10 different ways to spend Earth Hour and reduce your carbon footprint:

1. Attend a local Earth Hour event or organise your own by throwing an Earth Hour street party with your neighbours
2. Gather family & friends for a night picnic in your local park and look at the stars
3. Enjoy a family dinner by candlelight
4. Organise a treasure hunt in the dark
5. Take the dog for a night walk
6. Have a candle-lit bath
7. Sit in the dark and share stories
8. Organise a family night playing board games
9. Share a romantic night in with your loved one
10. Upload your ‘on the night’ photos and videos to flickr and YouTube respectively, and then add them to the respective Earth Hour flickr group (http://www.flickr.com/groups/earthhour2009global/) and the global YouTube Group (http://www.youtube.com/group/earthhourglobal).

Earth Hour Executive Director, Andy Ridley, is encouraging people to participate in whatever way they choose and to think beyond the hour.

“There are no hard and fast rules surrounding participation in Earth Hour. We only ask that you flick that switch and have fun doing whatever you choose to do during that time.

Make Earth Hour work for you. Families with young children should feel free to turn their lights off earlier than 8:30pm and for those having too much fun in the dark during the hour, don’t feel you have to limit yourself to one hour and switch back on at 9:30pm.”

To find out more about Earth Hour, visit the official website www.earthhour.org, sign up and join millions of people in more than 1,400 cities and towns in 80 countries throughout the world by turning off your lights for one hour at 8:30pm on Saturday 28 March.

Enjoy and spread the word, have fun
Cheers
The Mammy