JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Before & After (Upcycling)
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 14-09-2008 , 07:48 AM #16
Tootsie

Default Glass jars

Maybe a few layers of coloured sand to sit the tea-lights on would look cute.
Tootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-09-2008 , 08:17 PM #17
beldarin

yeah, and just today i saw how to dye sand using food colouring, you just pour it on and leave it to dry,
looked cool
beldarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-09-2008 , 07:52 PM #18
Rudai

Default christmas night lights

For the past four years I have used little baby food jars as containers for tealights - I place about 12 of them in a line on my sitting room window sill and they look really cool (make sure that there are no blinds etc in the way!!. they are then stored in the attic with the rest of the Christmas decorations until next year!!!
Rudai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-09-2008 , 08:59 PM #19
beldarin

Yeah, they do look lovely indoors...
I am aiming to have as recycled a Christmas as possible, I will not be buying any new decorations, and wont be using any mains powered lights, only a set using rechargeable batteries on the mantle. My daughter's school has it's blue flag for being super-green, so she's coming home with ideas all the time about proper recycling ( ie: where things are reused/life-cycled without the need to ship it to europe for industrial recycling)

We're currently making gift-bags from newspaper, I'll post pics when we're through, we've got a few new jars done in red gold and green to light up the rooms
And we've a few presents to make, should be busy for a while, makes it seem not so bad that the weathers atrocious, at least we'll have plenty of time indoors to work
Wish me luck
Old Posted: 18-09-2008 , 02:10 PM #20
Kernow

Default Glass Jars

Hi all, If anyone want's some glass jars, I have a sack full. I found them in an old barn I was clearing out, some old and interesting ones, but mostly standard, verious size jars, no lids. In Roscommon area. PM me.
Kernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-09-2008 , 03:13 PM #21
unapam

Default more jars

Here is my version of the jar lights. I would really prefer floating candles in matching colours. The fabric is on the outside for safety. Thanks Beldarin for givng me the idea!

I am also making Christmas decorations this year. This is what I made so far from scraps of fabric, ribbons and old buttons. I call them Rustic Country Hearts. Also here is a very simple gift for children to make for Nana or favourite aunt..a button jar. If anyone wants instructions just pm me and I will send them on.
Attached Images

unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-09-2008 , 08:11 PM #22
beldarin

They are really nice, you're quite the crafter
That's Nana sorted out, ;-)
Old Posted: 24-09-2008 , 12:17 PM #23
Tootsie

Default Wire

What type of wire did you use to hang the jars?
Tootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-09-2008 , 12:17 PM #24
Ciss

Default What a fanastic idea!

I LOVE the idea of painting the glass jars and I believe so would my 9 years old step-daughter who is craft-mad :-).

As it happens, I have a huge bag of jars and bottles gathering dust in the corner - I've been meaning to take them to the recycling centre for ages. I will def use them now.

I have 3 questions for the experts :-)
1) Would Easons have glass paints? Or are there any shops that would have them in Celbridge/Maynooth/Stillogan?
2) Should we put on a base paint first on the jars/bottles before using the glass paint? If so, what is the best type of base paint?
3) Does anyone have any tips for taking the labels off the glass jars/bottles without leaving any sticky residue behind?
Ciss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-09-2008 , 12:28 PM #25
shonastar

I found little kits of glass paint, with around 8 tubes in each for around 2 euro in World of Wonder, they're really easy to use and excellent value! They come with a tube of glue, which I've never needed to use, as they stick on perfectly without it. We usually paint onto a mirror first (as it's a flat surface). When the design is dry you just peel it off like a sticker. So you don't need to bother with base coats or anything, hope this helps.
shonastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-01-2009 , 12:45 AM #26
daire2k2

i swear every day i find a new reason to love jumbletown! i have been looking for a way to decorate my garden for my daughter's upcoming communion, as she wants a relaxed garden party... thanks so much for the inspiration...
daire2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-01-2009 , 11:44 PM #27
Linn

Isnt it amazing how something so simple can make somewhere look to wonderful.
Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-03-2009 , 12:26 PM #28
eco chick

hi there, am going to try do what you have done, look brillent. what kind of wire did you use or were did you get it
eco chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-03-2009 , 09:30 PM #29
Eily

Default RE wire for hanging jars?????

Hi Beldarin,

The jars are really lovely and I'd like to do some for my garden too - in anticipation of the lovely summer we're hoping to have.

I was wondering as well what kind or wire you used to hang them and where to get it??

Thanks
Eily
Eily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-04-2009 , 11:06 AM #30
biggles007

Very nice
biggles007 is offline   Reply With Quote