JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 31-08-2009 , 11:56 PM #1
minnie pal

Default seriously worried about raspberry transplants

sorting the raspberry canes from utter chaos found in new hoose, I decided to transplant them into compost, a cane per pot and also a trough with about six canes.
I left some in the very hot area, bad idea, then told to cut them to six inches even if green still on em.
the compost has remained sodden. Moved to shade yet a place where there is less water to try and dry out the compost. they are up near the house wall and water goes to the bottom part of yard.
Nothing seems to be releasing the water fast enough.
I worry the roots will rot if the water does not dry up a bit.
Should i think of winter clouches or whatever they are called. I really, really want to save these SO badly.
xminnie pal
minnie pal is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 01-09-2009 , 12:44 PM #2
Ruthy

Default raspberry canes

Maybe move them indoors for a day or two so the warmth will dry them out a bit. At the least move them to where they can't be rained on until the compost is a bit drier!
Ruthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-09-2009 , 12:53 PM #3
reebok

and maybe put them standing on some up-turned pots, so there is air-flow underneath them, and water can drip away from the bottom of the pots. In the bath, or placed over a tray to catch the drips?

And an amateur guess.... maybe as a last resort you could VERY carefully remove the canes with any roots and surrounding soil, and re-pot them in to much dryer soil? But you would need to be very careful to not disturb the baby root growth.

good luck
Reebok
reebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-09-2009 , 12:58 PM #4
moloney2

Default raspberry transplants

Raspberry canes should survive if there is plenty of drainage at the bottom of the pots, in other words do not put a saucer under the pots, make sure that there is gravel/grit/broken pieces of plant pots/small stones{any of these would do} in the base of the trough. The canes will loose their leaves during the winter so do not panic and throw them out!Their natural environment is sunny-light shade, damp-dry soil and not too windy. If you find that the compost is sodden try to put them in a dry spot for a few days eg. by a wall or near the house- two or three days of this should solve the problem. In the spring if you decide to plant them in the garden space them roughly 18" apart in a row. They also make a good addition to a garden hedge as they will spread as well as provide fruit and flowers.
moloney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-09-2009 , 12:12 AM #5
minnie pal

Default thanks for reply Mandolin

thanks for those tips.
I am so angry that i never put broken crock at bottom of pots.
they are in now at present, but not drying out fast.
there are a few more in the raised bed too.
i would try move them again but the poor things were so immeshed in so much root muck it really wouldnt cope i dont think with further repotting.
If tomorrow is dry i will put them out and on a raised series of pots to allow air through bottom.
ditto with Mandolin's climbing cuttings.
x and thank
minnie pal
minnie pal is offline   Reply With Quote