Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Support Forum > Support Forum
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Posted: 04-12-2008 , 11:33 AM #1
wildepigge

Default observation

it seems to me jumble town is being abused, the same people are posting first time and again, how many cars, tvs, stereos and SALEABLE items does one person need? hoiw many jumbletowners with multiple id's? There is no point donating items to enrich others. not much point in looking for stuff either usually the same people (do none of them work or is this their work?) getting in first or else its some idiot looking for the hardest hard luck story to win a mental raffle s/he is having hardest getting a broken bedside lamp or a bent spoon!
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 04-12-2008 , 12:39 PM #2
misstake

Default your obesrvation

Im sorry your not happy with Jt but its up to the giver who gets what first or last Also there may be a few sellers on here but i dont think there are many Most are just ordinary folk trying to get by and helping to recycle Thats what this site is all about as to lots of cars and sterios we do not get many cars so those looking have to try each one
Now as to work well i do im just home from work and a lot of people on here are mothers with children so they are more than welcome Ihope you get whatever you are after so i wish you good luck in your search
Old Posted: 04-12-2008 , 02:52 PM #3
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildepigge
it seems to me jumble town is being abused, the same people are posting first time and again, how many cars, tvs, stereos and SALEABLE items does one person need? hoiw many jumbletowners with multiple id's? There is no point donating items to enrich others. not much point in looking for stuff either usually the same people (do none of them work or is this their work?) getting in first or else its some idiot looking for the hardest hard luck story to win a mental raffle s/he is having hardest getting a broken bedside lamp or a bent spoon!
Hi wildepigge,

In the eyes of Admin, no abuse is taking place. Since the inception of the site, our policy has been that all JumbleTowners are regarded as equal. Neither Admin nor Members have any way of determining the “neediness” or otherwise of a Taker.

Takers can be individuals who intend to use items themselves or perhaps even sell them on. The latter activity may be unpopular with some Members but it’s not against the rules of the Forum. Once an item has been collected, the Taker can do whatever they wish with the item. Neither the Giver nor Admin can dictate or determine the Taker’s activities off the Board/Forum.

One view of Takers who sell (and they are very much in the minority) is that they are are entrepreneurs of sorts. As I said above, who can tell what their circumstances are? They could be recently laid-off or struggling to pay a mortgage, and if they can make a few bob by going to the trouble of collecting an item and then HOPING to sell it, then Admin says, good luck to them. However, anyone who thinks thay can collect a lot of items and then quickly sell them on is probably in for a surprise, as furniture in particular depreciates massively in value. So, someone, somewhere, may have a sitting-room full of items they can't sell/shift. What can they do with all this stuff? Well, they could put it on JumbleTown!

Givers of items should be aware that JumbleTown is not a charity site – if it were, we would have applied for charity-status and all that that entails. The site’s raison d’etre is primarily to help people pass on unwanted items in the hope that unnecessary landfill and premature recycling will be avoided or at least deferred.

Admin’s view is that the primary concern of Givers should be the desire to free up space in their home/workplace in an environmental way that helps the community. If they specifically wish for their item not to be sold-on, they should state this on their ad, but of course, they have no way of knowing the fate of their item once Taken. If Givers want to be certain that their item goes to a charitable cause or what they may consider to be a "charity-case", then they should contact their local charities rather than post on JumbleTown.

Finally, as JumbleTowner, misstake, stated above, Givers are free to give to whomever they like, be it the first or tenth respondent. Therefore, being first to post an expression of interest does not mean that you'll receive an item.

Thank for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 04-12-2008 , 06:52 PM #4
wildepigge

Default and also,,

Hi Chris, my point is, I believe, valid,. I have both an excellent car and stereo so i need neither. looking over the site I see the same people looking for the same things over and over, some even leave thanks for getting the item and they are still looking for the same item??? If someone can sit and surf all day so as to be in first it disadvantages lots of people who work. I appreciate that people can do what they like with their property I personally find "the best cause/story/convincing tale etc" gets it somewhat tacky. I have given things and recieved things gratefully fronm this and another site. Until they wear out or I can afford new ones they stay
the site is great and i'm sure more than me found things we needed.
thanks PK
Old Posted: 04-12-2008 , 07:57 PM #5
cavalin

But surely the idea of putting something on jt is to get rid of UNWANTED stuff.
Old Posted: 04-12-2008 , 08:13 PM #6
wildepigge

Default reply

if it's unwanted why have a voyeuristic psychological analysis of the takers needs?????
Old Posted: 04-12-2008 , 10:47 PM #7
Anfearisfearr

Default takers

All observations above deserve hearing.The choice is with the giver.It is annoying to see all the things you have stated.You are right pidge and chris is right.I look at the requesters previous post both here and on other sites,It can then be decided their merit.Dealers leave patterns and the choice to shun them or enrich them is as stated with the giver.This is one excellent site and deserves all the support of its members.If any one giving thinks they are going to be exploited by a taker then simply ignore their posts.
Old Posted: 04-12-2008 , 11:54 PM #8
kiara

Quote:
Hi Chris, my point is, I believe, valid,. I have both an excellent car and stereo so i need neither. looking over the site I see the same people looking for the same things over and over, some even leave thanks for getting the item and they are still looking for the same item??? If someone can sit and surf all day so as to be in first it disadvantages lots of people who work. I appreciate that people can do what they like with their property I personally find "the best cause/story/convincing tale etc" gets it somewhat tacky. I have given things and recieved things gratefully fronm this and another site. Until they wear out or I can afford new ones they stay
the site is great and i'm sure more than me found things we needed.
thanks PK

are you suggesting that people who do not work (outside of the home) do nothing but surf jumbletown? as a mum and student i can assure you that is not the case, also either you like jt or you dont, you receive from the site and yet you dont like how it works? i for one love jumbletown and most people here are genuine, helpful and friendly... and i am glad to be a jtowner! kiara
Old Posted: 05-12-2008 , 02:13 AM #9
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
...I personally find "the best cause/story/convincing tale etc" gets it somewhat tacky...
So does Admin -- that's why we remove such comments from Givers' ads.

By the way, it should be fairly obvious that the vast majority of Givers do not indulge in such practices. Most who do are "newbies," but they soon learn that we don't allow it.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 05-12-2008 , 07:33 AM #10
wildepigge

Default reply

With all its sham, drudgery & broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
and jumbletown is still the best site we are allowed to criticise those we love
thanks to Max Ehrmann
Old Posted: 05-12-2008 , 07:53 AM #11
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
...we are allowed to criticise those we love...
Too true, wildepigge. As D.H. lawrence said, "the proper function of a critic is to save the tale from the artist who created it."

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 09-12-2008 , 11:18 AM #12
dealga

I have a somewhat related question.

I have been giving stuff away recently and I notice that some posters seem to be first with an 'I am interested' reply within minutes, only to show no further interest and not even reply to PMs etc.

Is it possible that some people have worked out an automated reply system to get themselves first in line to give them a chance to check an item out later?

I imagine most people are, like me, working on a 'first come, first served' basis.
Old Posted: 09-12-2008 , 11:47 AM #13
wildepigge

Default and also,,

maybe, i know lots of ebay sellers have automated feedback mechanismsso its possible they would have to use keywords because they dont reply to all postings, i wonder if professor frink is on jumbletown.....
Old Posted: 09-12-2008 , 12:04 PM #14
Linn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealga
I have a somewhat related question.

I have been giving stuff away recently and I notice that some posters seem to be first with an 'I am interested' reply within minutes, only to show no further interest and not even reply to PMs etc.

Is it possible that some people have worked out an automated reply system to get themselves first in line to give them a chance to check an item out later?

I imagine most people are, like me, working on a 'first come, first served' basis.
There is no automated reply system to get people first in line. Its basically the luck of the draw to be first in line.
Also myself and most of the jumbletowners i know do not work on a first come first served basis.
My point is that people who work outside the home and does who work in the home derserve as much of a chance as the next person. Thats why i very seldom go on a first come basis. I feel that every one is equal and deserves to be treated the same.
Well thats my opinion on the mather.
Enough said.
Old Posted: 09-12-2008 , 02:48 PM #15
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealga

Dealga, it's technically possible but very unlikely. I haven't seen any evidence of this happening. In any case, Givers are free to give to whomever they like, be it the first or tenth respondent.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Closed Thread