JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 24-05-2011 , 08:00 PM #1
Marshmallow

Default Cleaning a work table

Folks, looking for help on how to strip a writing bureau. Pine timer that I need to strip and have to deal with woodworm, but don't know how to do either. Any tips would be gratefully accepted.
Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 26-05-2011 , 10:59 PM #2
amybaby

Default bureau

hi,
not sure if this will help.
i stripped and treated an old varnished writing bureau a good few years ago. i think it's oak, but the principle would still be the same i'm sure.
i used a commercial stripper for wood. can't remember the name as i was in the uk at the time, and also bought a wood worm treatment solution. you should be able to get this stuff in diy shops.
as far as i can recall, i had to apply the stripper and wait a while, then began the verrrry tedious task of stripping the old varnish off with a scraper. when it was done it had to be cleaned with spirits completely and then sanded and resanded working from course to fine sanding. working outdoors might be a good idea as it's a dirty and dusty job.
i finished the bureau with beeswax which nourished the wood and showed off the natural grain.
although it was hard work as i had never attempted anything like that, i was, and still am very happy with the outcome. it turned an ugly tacky varnished lump into a beautiful piece of furniture that is a joy to look at and still admired by everyone who sees it.
best of luck with your project. :)
amybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-05-2011 , 02:30 PM #3
Marshmallow

Default writing bureau

Many thanks for the help, I am going off to buy the type of products you listed and hope to make a start next week. Will put up photos when completed. Thank You.
Old Posted: 03-07-2012 , 08:53 PM #4
lizzyd66

A bit late on this one but if you are intending to paint it you could use annie sloan chalk paint. treat woodworm and give a light sand you could paint straight away with that paint. Some lovely colours and easy to use.
lizzyd66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-07-2012 , 11:04 PM #5
Marshmallow

Default writing bureau

thanks lizzy for the help. We completely restored the writing bureau and my daughter has used it since September last. I must put up some photos. Regards