Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 18-03-2009 , 02:15 PM #1
livinglightly1

Default Raised beds

Hi All

I need some help. We are currently making a new tv series called 'Living lightly'. We have found a wonderful family from longford who have agreed to live lightly for the next few months.

One of the challenges we have set the family is to start to grow there own veg. The soil in the garden isn't great so we are now going to do raised beds.

We need to try and organise quite a bit to get the garden up and running. One thing I am trying to source is the wood.

I have been given wood measurement of 8ft by 5ft and it needs to be 10 inches high and 2 inches deep. I need it to be untreated does anyone know what type I should be looking for? or if there is anywhere I can find it? I have phone quite a few places at this stage and I'm having no luck.

Also I am trying to source compost in the Longford area. Does anyone know of anywhere localy that gives away free compost?

I also need some good topsoil does anyone know where I can find that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

replies to thread please
livinglightly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 18-03-2009 , 02:33 PM #2
el_loco_blanco

Default Sleepers

Hi. In my garden when I moved in the soil was really bad so we had to do raised beds. We got pine sleepers from our local garden centre. The were basically big planks of pine in the same sizes and shapes of the traditional sleepers. They worked a treat!If you pm me I can give you details of the garcden centre. It is outside Drogheda. You could ring them and find out who their supplier is. The supplier could tell you then if there is anyone near you selling them!
el_loco_blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-03-2009 , 02:43 PM #3
nanonano

I made my raised beds from scaffolding planks. You can find them everywhere at building sites. Just ask nicely.
nanonano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-03-2009 , 02:50 PM #4
livinglightly1

Default Raised beds

Thanks for the tips

Are the scoffolding boards untreated? I was told for veggies you need to get untreated wood.

Someone mentioned larch wood but I can't get that in the measurements I need
Old Posted: 18-03-2009 , 02:57 PM #5
nanonano

As far as I know they are untreated. If you do a search on gardenplansireland.com/forum you'll find loads more info.
http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/
nanonano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-03-2009 , 08:12 PM #6
Knecht

Default Raised beds

Hi, I have also used scaffolding planks for raised beds, they were not treated. I have read somewhere that you should line them with the weedguard stuff before you fill them, not sure why, but I didn't do it. Maybe if you have stables near you they would let you have some manure or a local farm?
Knecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-03-2009 , 09:54 PM #7
jennie

for the compost ask nicely to the peat factory in Rathowen!
jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-03-2009 , 11:18 PM #8
livinglightly1

Default raised beds

Hi All

Thanks so much for your help. I have managed to get the wood we need and i'll start chasing up the compost tomorrow

Cheers for all the help
Old Posted: 18-03-2009 , 11:18 PM #9
sidhe.eire

Default Compost

if anyone is going by the beach grab some seaweed its full of nutrients for your soil.
sidhe.eire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-03-2009 , 07:57 AM #10
hannahbanana

Hi LivingLightly1,

I am looking for wood to start my raised beds too. Would you like to share where you got the wood etc please? I have heard of somewhere in Ballina but I don't have the details yet! Thanks, HB
hannahbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-03-2009 , 09:38 PM #11
4eyes

Default living lightly

someone on jt were giving railway sleepers away they are ideal for your project.
Get used mushroom compost and it will be FREE

Also look for FREE top soil, someone will be glad to get rid of it
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-03-2009 , 01:15 AM #12
sidhe.eire

Default railway sleepers

These would be perfect as long as their not treated, as a lot of them are, and the rain water washes the creosote into the soil and thus into your vegetables...
sidhe.eire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-03-2009 , 02:12 AM #13
bluecurlygirl

How helpful are the people on this site? I hope you get lots more wonderful tips. This site is my bible - now I just gotta put everything into action!
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-03-2009 , 08:41 AM #14
frantasia

I have one raised bed made with old wood - I do two other raised beds just by heaping up the soil and tidying the sides. It's true they sag a bit in the winter but they can be easily re-done when you're adding new compost or manure, or by adding more soil.

The bed that's made with the wood is of course better, but this is just to say that even if you don't have any suitable material to hand, the raised bed can be made by 'earthing up' without external sides.

A few weeks ago Lidl were selling a cold frame type thingy with a cover, which could be used as the support for a raised bed - they were €34.99 each. I didn't buy them, but would love to know if anyone has tried them and how they are going for them.
frantasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-03-2009 , 10:08 AM #15
4eyes

Default Raised Beds

If by any chance you know somebody who keeps horses and get some of the manure, only snag is you need to keep it for best part of a year to let it rot down, it will be just like bought compost, and they are glad to get rid of it.
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote