JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 21-03-2012 , 03:19 PM #1
madfrozen

Default Wildlife Pond

Can someone answer me a question? - I have a new "wildlife" pond, which is still a bit bare. My question is this: Do I need a pump or aeration device or will it be okay. The opinions seem to be strongly divided. Some say it is absoultely necessary. Others say not at all and nature will look after itself. Bear in mind I dont mind a bit of a green murky pond as I am trying to attract wildlife not make it decorative. Do any of you actually have a pond without a pump/filter/aeration device?

Thanks
madfrozen is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 21-03-2012 , 03:44 PM #2
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Default pond

Quote:
Originally Posted by madfrozen
Can someone answer me a question? - I have a new "wildlife" pond, which is still a bit bare. My question is this: Do I need a pump or aeration device or will it be okay. The opinions seem to be strongly divided. Some say it is absoultely necessary. Others say not at all and nature will look after itself. Bear in mind I dont mind a bit of a green murky pond as I am trying to attract wildlife not make it decorative. Do any of you actually have a pond without a pump/filter/aeration device?

Thanks
Hi there, I have an artificial pond but it was well established when we came here. It does have a pump but it is not on all the time--it pumps water to the top of a little waterfall and recirculates it. The trick is to get an eco balance going I think. You need to plant some pond plants which you will get at some garden centres or pond places. You need oxygen producing ones and others. Also we introduced some fish which grew into quite lagre fellows over a few years. Have just added tadpoles to the pond--found them in a puddle down the road--honestly some frogs are such bad parents--leave their babies anywhere--all it would take is a tractor to pull in to the side of the road and the puddle in a tractor rut would be wiped out.
Anyway, enjoy creating your wildlife area, but it does take some intervention on your part or you will end up with a smelly, stagnant pool full of green weed. Eibhlin.
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-03-2012 , 04:18 PM #3
madfrozen

Default hi

Thanks for your reply. I wont have fish (because fish will eat newts and tadpoles) and also their poo is quite bad at making water dirty. I think you are right about the oxegenating plants. Will try and get some - hopefully they will be enough. I have heard that many pumps cause havoc with baby newts (by dragging them in) so I am reluctant to get a pump. I will maybe do as you say and get some plants that will introduce oxegen and see if that works. Hmmm. Will let you know!
madfrozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-05-2012 , 07:50 AM #4
palminnie2

Default hi garden table

you are very near me, any chance you will allow me see the pond, as i am new to this and trying to get one going as well!
all the very best
do pm if you are agreeable.
ann
palminnie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-05-2012 , 02:52 PM #5
Dusk

Hi, we've just built a small pond, about3 foot deep and five foot around. I was just wondering if anyone knows of any places to get water plants around the Drogheda area. We've tried Homebase, The Garden Centre and a pet shop and no luck. Or would anyone know how to take cuttings from a nearby pond? We have three goldfish in it so we are looking to get plants as soon as possible. Thanks : )
Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 02-06-2012 , 05:16 PM #6
greenorelse

Eibhlin

You don't need a pump providing that you get plenty of oxygenating plants - our pump was heavy on electricity but the plants now do its job.

You can buy solar-powered pond filters but I've no idea how good they are.
greenorelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 02-06-2012 , 08:11 PM #7
palminnie2

Default pond and pumps

yes, i am near ye in kilmacanogue, my pond and steam is not up and running by a long way, but was wondering about the cost of the pump systems.
i thought it would be nice to have the stream bit and utilize the slope and the amount of rocks in the garden, but costs may prove a bit out you think?
you never got a water lily? ha, neither did i! i went and bought one for the water barrel, but me thinks if the weather continues it wont be encouraged to flower this year.
they are pricey but you can only wait so long eh?
hope it all goes well...i am half dug but pretty dug out at this stage! take care
palminnie2 is offline   Reply With Quote