HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Posted: 06-02-2009 , 01:55 PM #106
jenniferalan

hi chakes, try www.lastminute.com and click the button "flights only"
Old Posted: 06-02-2009 , 03:36 PM #107
emmaj

Default Cheap Flights

Try Ethiad Airlines directly also - they seem to normally have some very good deals. IF your own internet connection is very slow nip into the local library - they all have broadband and you can get loads done in an hour. Then you can always go back later once you have the details gathered and have made your final decision.

Wish I was going to Asia !
Old Posted: 06-02-2009 , 06:30 PM #108
Proteavalley

Default pigsback

friend told me about this recently here you can get coupons and money off vouchers, I have just celebrated a birthday (yesterday) and got an extra 1000 points
Old Posted: 06-02-2009 , 09:48 PM #109
cheddarlane

Default not safety tested

take a flask to work cassias and keep it in your drawer?

I used to be PA and I held the keys to all the posh executive suits and I would be sipping a hot chocolate and latte most of the day!!

I especially loved the English breakfast tea.. I still buy earl grey as it is the best tea.. it is gorgeous.. but the breakfast one was great during pregnancy..!

I also took over managing the book people orders when one of the office girls left.. and for every 10 books you would get a free book!! I had 3 books one christmas!!
I thought in advance and got 2, for at the time by bump, but she is getting the enjoyment from them now!

Not many perks these days..

I cannot cut back on food shopping as I try and buy organic. but I might try and grow some of my own veg this year and little one can see her veg grow too! peas etc are great!

I have also started to cheat and I am taking a risk, but wool washing things that are dry clean only.. not suits of course.

But only last week I rammed my goose duck down duvet into the washing machine on a wool wash.. loads of fabric conditioner.. gave it a big shake outside and hung it over the airer and it has came up a treat.. beats paying dry cleaners 40e+!!

But not recommended if your favourite item!!
Old Posted: 06-02-2009 , 09:52 PM #110
betsy10112000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakes
Betsy...did you say you can get cheap flights????

I don't have broadband where I live - no surprise - but I am looking to travel to Asia in Oct...and its taking me ages to go through the sites.

...any hints or useful website to get CHEAP FLIGHTS???

Love all you ideas.

Thanks
chakes looking into at the moment,is there a max price you want to spend? do you mind flying budget travel?also what airport do you want to travel from?
just to give me an idea of the sites i know:)
Old Posted: 06-02-2009 , 09:55 PM #111
irishrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaleagh
take a flask to work cassias and keep it in your drawer?

I used to be PA and I held the keys to all the posh executive suits and I would be sipping a hot chocolate and late most of the day!!

I especially loved the English breakfast tea.. I still buy earl grey as it is the best tea.. it is gorgeous.. but the breakfast one was great during pregnancy..!

I also took over managing the book people orders when one of the office girls left.. and for every 10 books you would get a free book!! I had 3 books one christmas!!
I thought in advance and got 2, for at the time by bump, but she is getting the enjoyment from them now!

Not many perks these days..

I cannot cut back on food shopping as I try and buy organic. but I might try and grow some of my own veg this year and little one can see her veg grow too! peas etc are great!

I have also started to cheat and I am taking a risk, but wool washing things that are dry clean only.. not suits of course.

But only last week I rammed my goose duck down duvet into the washing machine on a wool wash.. loads of fabric conditioner.. gave it a big shake outside and hung it over the airer and it has came up a treat.. beats paying dry cleaners 40e+!!

But not recommended if your favourite item!!

I've been doing that for years with a lot of dry-clean only stuff. I wouldn't do a suit or any wool tailored item because one never knows what the linings/interlinings are made of. But I have a coat I wash in the washer every so often - it's synthetic but says dry clean only. And I wash woollen jumpers by hand in the kitchen sink in warm water with shampoo or with washing up liquid. Then I rinse them, squeeze out the excess water, roll them up in a towel and air dry.

I wash bed pillows in the washer too. They're better off dried in a dryer though, I think. They can take a long time to dry otherwise.
Old Posted: 06-02-2009 , 10:24 PM #112
xmillyx2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsy10112000
hi have have and constanting use my 3V card.the minimumm you can top up is 10 euro and also i have toped up my 3v card by more than 350 euro on many occassions and never had any problem.the charge is 2.50 euro for up to 150 euro i think then 5.00 euro after that.

Well i don't know but i asked my partner and he said its 20euro min, i thought it was 40euro and max is 300euro...
Thats what we were told so anything after that i dunno we never topped up with more than 300euro so i could'nt tell you if you if you can thats just what i was told...
Old Posted: 07-02-2009 , 05:39 PM #113
rossadrehid

Default dry cleaning bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrose
I've been doing that for years with a lot of dry-clean only stuff. I wouldn't do a suit or any wool tailored item because one never knows what the linings/interlinings are made of. But I have a coat I wash in the washer every so often - it's synthetic but says dry clean only. And I wash woollen jumpers by hand in the kitchen sink in warm water with shampoo or with washing up liquid. Then I rinse them, squeeze out the excess water, roll them up in a towel and air dry.

I wash bed pillows in the washer too. They're better off dried in a dryer though, I think. They can take a long time to dry otherwise.

Companies put dry clean only on tags so that if u wash it they are not liable.
IF IT IS 100% COTTON U CAN ABUSE IT.
OTHERWISE GENTLY DOES IT,
Old Posted: 22-02-2009 , 11:43 PM #114
jenniferalan

anyone got any other tips they can share? If u know a lot of neighbours, u could all chip in together as a group and buy say 1000L of oil each saving u a lot of money as it is buying in bulk and they will give u a discount.

For eg: our neighbour organises this once a yr, he typically gets about 20 people to join and everyone has to get same amount - 1000L. He then rings around oil companies to get the best quote. Typically every household saves 100euro and the person who organises the whole thing could get their oil for free. Great idea!
Old Posted: 07-03-2009 , 04:45 PM #115
rosbabe

Default Haggle and save.......

Anyone ever hear of haggling. I did this with my car insurance and saved €200! I would never in a million years do this b4, but I was so glad I did. Here's how I did it. My insurance company sent me a renewal as my insurance was up, so I went on the internet to get a few quotes. I emailed my insurance company and gave them the lowest quote I got. I then rang them a few days later and they told me that they couldnt match the quote I got and gave it to me for €xxx which was €200 less than what they originally wanted. So there you are, it was as easy as that!!
Old Posted: 07-03-2009 , 10:01 PM #116
tradinghippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillo
You're a star, betsy. Thanks for that info, I'm delighted to know that. We had to ask friends to rent the car on our behalf and pay them back, how annoying. I'll definitely look into the paypal account. Thanks a million, gillo

Get a pre pay credit card for buying stuff online. top it up like your phone.

www.3v.ie
Old Posted: 08-03-2009 , 03:22 PM #117
unapam

Default magazines

One way you can cut costs is stop buying foreign magazines and just buy our own Irish produced Prudence Magazine. Better than anything produced abroad and jam packed with great ideas for a great lifestyle without breaking the bank. This month's issue has a feature on how to have a wonderful wedding on a budget and loads of ideas for having a great night "out" -in!

I am not connected to this magazine except as a reader. I just love it and have not bought any other mag since discovering it. You will love it -guaranteed! Oh, and the price is very reasonable too!

http://www.prudence.ie/
Attached Images

Old Posted: 23-03-2009 , 05:20 PM #118
Betty_Bubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsy10112000
Right a have a few tips or ways to save money, might not be great for some but work great for me :)

1: TESCO - as in their motto every little helps and it sure does - Tesco have a motto that if when you purchase something at the til and then realise on your receipt that you paid more than it said on the shelf or special offer sign(even 1c more) then they will refund you the full amount and give you the item/s free. eg if you go in tesco and see a bottle of wine,on the shelf it says 9.99 for this exact bottle so you buy it and then AFTER you have paid for it check your receipt and it says 10 euro for the wine,take it to customer services and you get a FULL refund AND the wine aswel :) happy days. tobe honest i use this alot.in the last 6 months i have got full refunds and the item free on the following items to name a few : A lexmark wireless printer (it was supposed to be 89.99),vacuum,beans,coffee,hot chocolate,soup,clothes,underwear,dvds,ps2 games,cds,perfume,toilet rolls,chicken fillets,ham,pork plus many many more

2:TESCO yet again (tesco's will ban me soon,lol)- clubcard points - if you dont already have a clubcard get one,also sign up for tesco wine club and babyclub and finest food club,yeah you might not drink or have a baby but some of the vouchers they send are great,i got the baby club vouchers through and there were general vouchers on them,spend 40 euro and save 5 euro or spend 20 euro and get 1000 clubcard points all these on the baby vouchers :)

3: TESCO When you get your tesco club card vouchers through dont spend them in tesco,they can be used for so much more.recently i went to the UK with my partner,2 kids and took the car aswel and all it cost me was 2 euro,yes 2 euro.how I did it - i had 4500 tesco point (most acheived with the free vouchers i got through in baby club statement and wine club and i dont drink),i saved it because there valid for 2 years,3 months later another 4000 points,equivalent to 85 euro to spend in tesco BUT i got 4 times that amount if i used them for stenna line so i had a total of 340 euro to spend at stenaline.it cost me 342 euro t take us all and car to UK - bargain :)

4: THE INTERNET Anything that i cant get free or cheap in tesco I buy on the internet. I can get flights all around the world for as little as 2 CENT return :) you can get a discount code for almost everything just search on any search engine for discount codes for whatever,say if you wat to buy flowers from interflora put in discount codes for interflora and hey presto.I recently sent a bunch of 40 red roses to my mother in law in england,i found discount codes and i sent - 40 red roses in a glass vase,teddy bear,chocolates and free delivery for wait for it - 6.99 euro.

i have many more trade secrets so keep checking, Im gonna try out some of the other money saving tips aswel,oh and i only have a regular bank account,no laser or visa card,no credit cards just a paypal account and thats all you need - costs nothing
:)

I'm gobsmacked...that's just amazing....will you come shopping with me and teach me all your tricks!
Old Posted: 23-03-2009 , 06:00 PM #119
cheddarlane

Default stena line

Hi Betty

I would love to know more about the stena tesco thing

I save my points up for christmas, and I am going to the uk in the summer.

I would love some info on this..

Also my car insurance is due up soon.. Existing company quoted me more than I am currently paying???
they want 1,170e?

not paying that!!! I was paying less as a prov driver 3 years ago!!

so rang around and got the best deal from esure, for 400e!!
Old Posted: 24-03-2009 , 02:13 PM #120
bluecurlygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowmama
This link was sent to me and I was dubious - but you get a full money back guarantee so I thought what the heck. The website says you'll save 15% to 27%, but I have to say that my husband and I have found a 10% reduction - still good. You can get them on www.fuelsaver.ie, the price is in dollars but there's someone here in Ireland distributing because we got ours four days after purchase with an Irish postmark. We've noticed benefits ... may be worth a try.

Seeing as glowmama never got back to us on any benefits she (I presume you're a she!) saw I decided to do some checking online and this is what I found:

http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...el-savers.html

You can check it out for yourselves and it gives you a very cheap way of experimenting with this method for yourself without buying any device. There doesn't seem to be significant improvements in mpg but you can judge for yourselves. Apparently mythbusters did a program on it.
Closed Thread