JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 06-02-2009 , 07:09 PM #1
Proteavalley

Default not double glazed

I live in rented accomodation and none of my windows are double glazed (oops sorry my kitchen one is) but my bedroom is also north facing and like a freezer if I do not leave my heating on full in there 24/7. My sitting room window is a BIG window also no d/g there how can I warm my room up with out leaving on the heating 24/7. Actually the heating goes off at 11pm and comes on again at round 5.30. I can control the temp while it is on but not when it goes off and on that the landlord does.

I have spoken to the landlord and he refuses to do anything, been down the PRTB and Threshold route as well
Proteavalley is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 06-02-2009 , 08:18 PM #2
reebok

hi harbourdolphin

just in case you can move your heater - make sure it is placed underneath your big window if poss - it will get to the cold air before the air hits you, and make a big difference to the heat in the room (learned this the hard way from our attic flat years ago).

Also, I remember from childhood my parents used this diy double-glazing stuff - it was like thick cling film (don't laugh). It came with a roll of double sided tape. you put the tape on the window frame, and cut a piece of film the size of the window. You stuck the film to the window frame, then you put your hairdryer to it, which made it shrink tight. It REALLY makes a difference, for very little expense. Also it doesn't cause you any problems in the unlikely event that you would have to break the window in a fire or something. I've no idea where you would buy this stuff these days - maybe a quick search on the net might come up with something?

Also my sons room is chilly sometimes - at night I roll up a blanket in to a sausage and pin the bottom of his curtains down with it - it keeps the draughts out really well.

best of luck :)
Reebok
reebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-02-2009 , 08:30 PM #3
reebok

Default double glazing film

ok , it wasn't just a distant memory.. you can get it on ebay, enough to do your windows for around 20 euro delivered.
Old Posted: 09-10-2009 , 06:42 PM #4
garrazzaband

Default keep house warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbourdolphin
I live in rented accomodation and none of my windows are double glazed (oops sorry my kitchen one is) but my bedroom is also north facing and like a freezer if I do not leave my heating on full in there 24/7. My sitting room window is a BIG window also no d/g there how can I warm my room up with out leaving on the heating 24/7. Actually the heating goes off at 11pm and comes on again at round 5.30. I can control the temp while it is on but not when it goes off and on that the landlord does.

I have spoken to the landlord and he refuses to do anything, been down the PRTB and Threshold route as well

Hi harbour Dolphin, I was in a very similar situation a few years ago. On the smaller windows I managed to find perspex sheeting with strips that the sheet clipped into (once cut to size), You fix the strips arround frame then clip sheet into it. Easy to unclip too. Can't remember where I got it from though. Also when the room is warm you could get some sealant (like bathroom sealant) and if you feel around all your window frames for 'the tinyest leak of cold air coming in ,you could seal these areas (I promise it will help) You must try to make your house 'totally' air tight. Thats a no.1 priorty.
garrazzaband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-10-2009 , 06:22 PM #5
Rufus Fornow

Default double glazing film

The stuff reebok posted about...I saw it in Homebase in Longford last week, on the same stand as draught-excluders etc. Didn't buy it. I was wondering, maybe reebok can tell me, how it affects visibility through the window and does it reduce the light coming in?
Rufus Fornow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-10-2009 , 07:15 PM #6
reebok

Hi RF,
like I say, it was a long time ago... but the film we used to use stayed totally clear, (just like cling film), so didn't affect the light at all. I don't remember it affecting the visibility - I think that as long as you make sure it is totally tightened, it goes taut and just seems like a second sheet of glass would. (visually, anyway). If you miss any spots with the hairdryer it can stay a bit crinkly in those patches, which you would notice alright, but a quick blast with the hairdryer sorts those patches out well enough.
I wonder if there are some pictures on the web of the stuff in action?
good luck ,
Reebok