JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 18-02-2009 , 09:27 PM #46
jeana

the muck in my garden is like clay---what shoud I put in it or can I just buy good muck from woodies? I just want to make a little area to have a try at growing whatever veg is easiest
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-02-2009 , 02:07 PM #47
ark

Default veggie growing (manure)

hi to all veggie growers.
This is my first year at trying to grow veggies.I have just completed building my first raised plot.Its 9ft by 3ft.I was wondering if old musheroom compos would be ok to use as a fertilizer if it was mixed through the clay.I will probley try carrotts,onions,scallions,lettuce,strawberries and a small amount of potatoes.Im after getting so much infomation of the forum I look forward to reading every day
thanks everybody
ark
ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-02-2009 , 05:26 PM #48
Ecoprincess

Jeana:

Is the soil very wet, if so build raised beds, one at a time make them 10 ft x 4 ft. If you want to try just one bed I suggest either Potatoes or salad crops, easy to grow good returns.

Ok, you can use mushroom compost which will give you a boost for things such as peas, bean, and fruits, you can grow good brassicas and onions too but they may flower quickly.

Manure if you live in the country and there is some horse manure offered for free on site, your own compost if you have a compost heap, or if not doing raised beds peatmoss, will help with the soil condition. Do not use sand, clay has a lot of sand in it and its a mistake to add more.

This coming autumn get some manure or use your own compost heap even if not fully matured and chopped straw from your local animal feed supplier. €3.00 a large bag - that would bed 4 goat pens 6 x 5. This will rot through out the winter and add roughage to the soil, aid drainage and lighten the soil.

In raised beds for emegency use try to every large bag of moss peat ( or potting compost whicher is the cheaper) 1 bag of farmyard manure - to be got from your garden centre. Add some hoof and horn a little fishmeal and blood and organic growmore this lot is ok for use straight away, but will be excellent soil in about 3 years. Put this on clay and the worms will work the lot through the clay and give you a really good loam soil - this is how I work. Also its weed free which goes in with my no dig policy. Nothing though works as well as animal manure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark
hi to all veggie growers.
This is my first year at trying to grow veggies.I have just completed building my first raised plot.Its 9ft by 3ft.I was wondering if old musheroom compos would be ok to use as a fertilizer if it was mixed through the clay.I will probley try carrotts,onions,scallions,lettuce,strawberries and a small amount of potatoes.Im after getting so much infomation of the forum I look forward to reading every day
thanks everybody
ark

Yep mushroom compost see above. Cover your carrotts against root fly, the rest looks sound. strawberries dont crop really well until their second year but give you some to browse on :)
Ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-02-2009 , 07:43 AM #49
ark

Default veggies

thanks ecoprincess for that information on the soil.Do you think its to late to treat the soil with mushroom compost for the coming growing season
thanks again
ark
Old Posted: 21-02-2009 , 09:54 AM #50
ark

Default ecoprincess

thanks ecoprincess for all your advice about the soil
ark
Old Posted: 21-02-2009 , 05:16 PM #51
Ecoprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark
thanks ecoprincess for that information on the soil.Do you think its to late to treat the soil with mushroom compost for the coming growing season
thanks again
ark

Not at all do it as soon as possible and everything will be fine.
Old Posted: 22-02-2009 , 02:52 PM #52
nanonano

Default Anyone some advice????

I've planted vegetable seeds in egg cartons in shrub compost, covered them with a plastic bag, left them on the window sill in the conservatory and now some of them have white fluffy stuff on the compost.
How did that happen and what do I do with it?

Another question.
Some seeds have come up (with no mould). How and when do I transplant them to a bigger pot as they seem extremely fragile to handle. They have stems that are 11/2 inch with 2 tiny leaves on top.

I'm all very new to this and learning as I go. Got seed compost now for the next bunch.
Thanks
nanonano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-02-2009 , 03:22 PM #53
Proteavalley

Default fruit and vegies

wow you all sound such a dab hand at growing your goods maybe I will come in the middle of the night and steal some for myself
Proteavalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-02-2009 , 04:20 PM #54
Ocker

The plastic should come off as soon as the seeds germinate otherwise the pants will be spindly and weak. You can cut the section of egg carton and plant the lot > This minimes shock. Remember that breaking down paper consumes nitrogen so the plants may need help to make up the loss......a liltle often is best.
Ocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-02-2009 , 04:21 PM #55
Ocker

My typing finger is not working today. Hope you get the idea !
Old Posted: 22-02-2009 , 07:29 PM #56
nanonano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocker
This minimes shock. Remember that breaking down paper consumes nitrogen so the plants may need help to make up the loss......a liltle often is best.

Sorry, I'm not really clear on this part.Do you mean I should feed them now?
Should I plant the whole lot in a bigger pot without splitting them up.
nanonano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-02-2009 , 07:33 PM #57
misstake

Default veggies

for those interested ive just been in lidel and they have those mini greenhouses in this week the 3 in one is 34.99 the tent greenhouse like the one at mums is 22.99 and the plant bed is 29.99
hope this helps those interested i can post the sizes if interested ok
misstake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-02-2009 , 07:37 PM #58
Ocker

Yes, feed them now with a very diluted feed. As for planting them all together, it really depends on what plants they are. If tomatoes, plant them singly by cutting the egg carton into sections.
Old Posted: 23-02-2009 , 08:24 PM #59
Ecoprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanonano
I've planted vegetable seeds in egg cartons in shrub compost, covered them with a plastic bag, left them on the window sill in the conservatory and now some of them have white fluffy stuff on the compost.
How did that happen and what do I do with it?

Another question.
Some seeds have come up (with no mould). How and when do I transplant them to a bigger pot as they seem extremely fragile to handle. They have stems that are 11/2 inch with 2 tiny leaves on top.

I'm all very new to this and learning as I go. Got seed compost now for the next bunch.
Thanks

Seed compost has feed in it and that should help, once the seeds are showing take the cover off and keep them in full light so that they dont get legy and weak.

I would transplant them into potting compost so that they have all the food they need for now so long as you keep them just moist, hold carefully by the leaf. Normally I would not transplant until the first true leaf appeared on any plant.
Old Posted: 23-02-2009 , 08:53 PM #60
ark

Default veggies

thanks everybody for all the information