JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 02-06-2012 , 08:18 PM #1
palminnie2

Default kitchen revamp

this is not started and money is now TIGHT (whose isnt).
two starting ideas.
painting the cupboard fronts, they are a dark wood with a slight shine not much. bought a primer, white for this and possibly will start off with a white base.
then i am going to work on the splashback and this is just an idea and putting it out for all to mull and consider :) :) :)
make paper tiles and on some cover with wallpaper, simple pattern very.. some with blank paper white/off white/ or colour in the pattern and then some of personal photos.
here is what i am mulling myself, over the sink i will put images of photography i have based around water, over the cooker and prep areas images around food as in celebrations and stuff and then over the washing machine images of fashion either that i am in, or others or past etc...silly?
i think it would be fun. cover all with perspex or glass and seal.
would the sealing be very difficult and what if you decided to change it all can it be undone without a hellova mess?
palminnie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 03-06-2012 , 04:00 PM #2
palminnie2

Default taken off all handles and primer on

i have put the primer on and shall actually just paint all white for the moment.
this part i really dont know.
what type of paint should i use?
and can i go without an undercoat or do a few layers of primer.
all advice very apprecated.
Old Posted: 03-06-2012 , 06:58 PM #3
palminnie2

Default read back a bit

well saw a similar post and so am going now to wait 24hrs. do a light sand and redo with primer, then go for a water based wood paint.
i may change my idea on colour later so going to put finally a satin white paint so that open for change when kitchen fully operational
Old Posted: 04-06-2012 , 08:47 PM #4
MaskingTape

The best paint I can recommend for your job is Colortrend Satinwood or Eggshell finish. It's water based and goes on beautifully. It's also tough as old boots and will stand up to the wear and tear in a kitchen.

Disclaimer! I'm not connected in any way to Colortrend, but I haven't used any other paint in my house for 20 years. I think its fantastic stuff.

Whether or not you decide to use the Colortrend, the one thing you might find when painting over treated wood is that it takes quite a while for the paint to 'cure'. The paint may remain 'tacky' for up to a week so give it plenty of time before you put the doors back on.
MaskingTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-06-2012 , 09:45 PM #5
palminnie2

Default thanks a mill

ah thanks for this advice and will go along with it. all the best,
ann
Old Posted: 09-06-2012 , 11:19 PM #6
palminnie2

Default not found yet

colour trend not found yet but did go into johnstones on the boghall road the otherday,
their brand equivilent is costing 60e for 5 litres.
did he see me coming?
Old Posted: 10-06-2012 , 08:25 PM #7
MaskingTape

Here's where the Colortrend paint is manufactured. If you can travel there, you'll find them very helpful.

It's not cheap paint, but to my mind if you are going to that much personal labour and effort, there's no point in spoiling your work with a cheap product.

http://www.generalpaints.ie/
MaskingTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-06-2012 , 07:20 PM #8
palminnie2

Default thanks masking tape!

i will follow this up and thanks a mill.
t
Old Posted: 19-07-2012 , 12:20 PM #9
mario40

Quote:
Originally Posted by palminnie2
this is not started and money is now TIGHT (whose isnt).
two starting ideas.
painting the cupboard fronts, they are a dark wood with a slight shine not much. bought a primer, white for this and possibly will start off with a white base.
then i am going to work on the splashback and this is just an idea and putting it out for all to mull and consider :) :) :)
make paper tiles and on some cover with wallpaper, simple pattern very.. some with blank paper white/off white/ or colour in the pattern and then some of personal photos.
here is what i am mulling myself, over the sink i will put images of photography i have based around water, over the cooker and prep areas images around food as in celebrations and stuff and then over the washing machine images of fashion either that i am in, or others or past etc...silly?
i think it would be fun. cover all with perspex or glass and seal.
would the sealing be very difficult and what if you decided to change it all can it be undone without a hellova mess?
The idea for the splashback is very good, however you would need to use a reasonable thick glass, maybe 6mm, as 2 or 3mm maybe a little fragile as things would be knocked against a splashback. Sealing around the glass would be simple, using a clear mastic which would seal and also hold the glass in place
Regards
Anthony
mario40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-07-2012 , 12:26 PM #10
mario40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskingTape
The best paint I can recommend for your job is Colortrend Satinwood or Eggshell finish. It's water based and goes on beautifully. It's also tough as old boots and will stand up to the wear and tear in a kitchen.

Disclaimer! I'm not connected in any way to Colortrend, but I haven't used any other paint in my house for 20 years. I think its fantastic stuff.

Whether or not you decide to use the Colortrend, the one thing you might find when painting over treated wood is that it takes quite a while for the paint to 'cure'. The paint may remain 'tacky' for up to a week so give it plenty of time before you put the doors back on.
A common mistake with using Colortrend water based paints is to thin then with spirits. This will have the effect of causing them to take longer to cure. I am not suggesting for a moment that this is what MaskingTape has done, I am just raising a point as to what some people have done. Most Colortrend waterbased paints can be sprayed quite easily with a spraygun by the untrained and leave a good smooth finish
Regards
Anthony
Old Posted: 19-07-2012 , 12:28 PM #11
mario40

Quote:
Originally Posted by palminnie2
colour trend not found yet but did go into johnstones on the boghall road the otherday,
their brand equivilent is costing 60e for 5 litres.
did he see me coming?
Similar Colortrend paint will cost about e60 for 5 litres