PDA

View Full Version : Insulation Grants: property i loved got bad reviews

palminnie1
20-12-2010, 10:45 PM
saw the surveryor and the builder to see a small dormer bungalow i had hoped to live in,
i am very disabled and it was found to be good from a disbility point of view assessed by Occupational therapist.
the builder said there would be about E800 to put in 9in insulation of the small kitchen extension to avoid the black mold.
they told me the rest of house looked in very good shape.
the wiring may need to be done, about E5,000 they rekon.
the surveyor just slapped walls and said, no insulation in this cost a fortune, but he failed to see most of the windows were double glazed, and no dampness anywhere bar that small kitchen extension corners.]
oh it only had storage heaters, i would have liked radiators.
i was so hopeful as my twin would have been across the street in a house,
surely some voluntary organisation can help out on insulation and snap it up to modern look, it doesnt have to be palatial, the wallpapers etc were appalling but i do have good taste.
very upset.
if in so bad nick if it lowered cost of the house, surely i can then put extra into the rememdy.
any views on expense etc on these sort of areas, and how much you trust these guys with their evaluations.
i am very alone in the world so wouldnt have great swathe of people either to engage or help in doing adaptions.
p
oh it has a great big garden which was fantastic

tudlytops
20-12-2010, 10:47 PM
There are grants for insulation and grants if you're disabled to make it better for you.

http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Home_Energy_Saving_Scheme/

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/housing_grants_and_schemes/housing_adaptation_grant_for_people_with_disability.html

palminnie1
21-12-2010, 06:14 AM
thank you for sending me this, i really appreciate it, there is a table of grants to make the home safer and warmer and energy efficient, this is encouraging.
the surveyor doesnt know whether the budget grants will actually materialise and we just dont know if we can believe em.
but from what i see here is very very encouraging indeed.
all the very best,
p

tudlytops
21-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Good companies know of the grants, do not do any work before they have been approved.

If you weren't so far, we would gladly help you, as we have learned loads with the renovation of our cottage, but it isn't easy as we doing it all ourselves.

palminnie1
24-12-2010, 07:39 PM
it will be a long think over xmas, we have one home to see, but worry about sharing after 40yrs.
the two properties we have seen that was seriously badly decorated, both needing quite substantial interior design and insulation sorting may well be the chosen two. Across the road from each other, we are thinking that a 'project' will mean a personal stamp on our individual tastes, and largish gardens for the dogs indeal.
we are hopeful and enthusiastic and already jumbletowners have given us a good start with suggests and info.
i think although in poor shape, we can shape up to our own specs and stuff, and would be happier than walk into a plain but good condition home, but living together which may cause problematic.
still to join together would always be cost effective, but to be independent etc is a right and a choice i think most would rather make.
any thoughts on this from the 'free thought and idea site !!! :) welcomed.
we are quite excited actually, but decisions not fully made right now.
p

SLCB
05-01-2011, 09:05 PM
I don't know if this will help but there is a organisation in each county which will insulate attics and change all bulbs to energy saving type, this service is available to pensioners and may be available to people with a disability, your local citizens information centre should be able to help. In the Limerick area the work is carried out with a very short waiting time.

palminnie1
15-01-2011, 09:53 PM
hi,
things are very stressful right now, as we are on brink of getting enough dosh to buy the small bungalow for me and another home across road for twino!
but an offer has been put in by another bidder and they go off to see if they can raise more cash as it wasnt acceptable.
i keep fingers crossed daily that my twins home of 40yrs in london sells, then 2011 will be OUR year!
not before time either1
thanks for all the help, will keep you posted.
xxp

palminnie1
25-01-2011, 11:45 PM
yep, deposit down for my bungalow! and now the fight is on to secure that of twins across the road, she is also disabled so we can keep an eye on each other.
we have to start going about this with a method!
what is essential, kitchen damp and mould
wiring, seeing what the floor boards are like,
and adaptions on bathrooms etc.
raised beds on the cheap er, for the garden!
ideas on energy saving and all grants available and voluteering folk who might help to just make it habitable on a basic level, we then can get going on making it a home.
some help will or may be needed here.
we both hope to be hands on, even in a limited way - otherwise you'd never be able to say 'well i did that myself!\
oh we are excited, but wont be fully until twino has got her own 'forever' home!
nearly there all advise very gratefully received.
palminnie1