PDA

View Full Version : Refurbished Pine Dresser

Angelsfishingrod
07-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Hello JTers, I was very very lucky to get this off a kind lady from Courtown as I put an ad in the wanted section for a Pine Dresser. I couldnt believe my luck when I was contacted by the lady offering it too me.
When my husband saw it his first thoughts were "Make good fire wood"!!!!
Shock, Horror, I told him to try and see past the state it was in, and what a beautiful piece it could be... he still wouldnt accept that!! but he is a man.
So, to work I went stripping, stripping, and more stripping! no I mean the dresser. This had been hand made and quite a good job was done on it too. Who ever made it, well done.

Angelsfishingrod
07-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Blimey, took ages to sort that picture out!! anyhow, as you can see this is the base part, I had to strip off all the emulsion paint that was put on it, which was a job! but patience what was needed..

Angelsfishingrod
07-04-2011, 07:47 PM
This is top part, more stripping needed... all great fun though. We took the fret part off as part in the middle was broken. Good job I have a big kitchen in the cottage!

Angelsfishingrod
07-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Next stage!!! Undercoated, then 3-4 tops coats of top coat in matt finish... some done with small roller and a brush, all holes filled in. and black metal handles put on.

Angelsfishingrod
07-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Hubby got involved here, put new piece along top, and cut out a new fret for it.
Stuck with wood glue, not a good picture sorry, Look at the bloody state of my kitchen floor!! :)

Angelsfishingrod
07-04-2011, 08:14 PM
coming on nicely, all painted and new back on it, and put together.. Oh, and put my first ornament on it, it is a metal duck!! got it at the market last week for €2 I thought it was unusual.
I think the new fret looks nice not bad for the old man!! what do you think?

Chris P
07-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Well done, guys! Really impressive work. Great thread too!

Thanks for sharing!

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Angelsfishingrod
07-04-2011, 08:22 PM
a few more ornaments added.

Angelsfishingrod
07-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Look at the handles,,, no matter how we tried they didnt look straight!! and still don't, we gave up in the end.

Angelsfishingrod
07-04-2011, 08:26 PM
More of my second-hand ornaments all from the market!! I love markets and second-hand shops can pick up amazing bargains.

Angelsfishingrod
07-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Some more of my market bargains!!! hope you enjoying this.

Clubby
07-04-2011, 08:33 PM
A lovely job done , id love a dresser but the kitchen in my cottage is way to small for one , you were very lucky to get that .

Angelsfishingrod
07-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Near the end now,,
The 2 ducks at the top secondhand shop €5
The sunflower teapot €4 at the market.
The witch,, cant remember had it for years!!
The teapot candle burner €2-3 at the market.
The four ducks 50cent at the market.
The thatch cottage a priceless gift from my late father. xx
The cow letter rack cant remember!
The brush thing came from abroad, trying to remember where from ! supposed to keep evil spirits away!! will come back to you.
Oh, the white clock in other picture came from the market too.. cost me a bomb!! €1 in the box!!

Angelsfishingrod
07-04-2011, 08:41 PM
candle burner..

Angelsfishingrod
07-04-2011, 08:45 PM
My special old witch.. which laughs and has flashing red eyes! when you press the button!! my grandaughter was scared stiff of it when she was younger.. god love her. awful Nanna!!

Angelsfishingrod
07-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Love this clock, white metal. and €1 never seen me get the money sooo quick! and then ran..

Angelsfishingrod
07-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Lovely sunflower teapot.

Angelsfishingrod
07-04-2011, 08:57 PM
My lovely ducks.

Angelsfishingrod
07-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Well, thats the end now!! I hope you enjoyed looking at the pictures and just goes to show you what can be done.
My hubby was a great help and once he got started I think he enjoyed doing it, as he doesnt work so kept him busy. (He keeps going back to it, and re-arranging my ornaments!),,, keep telling him it is my dresser and go away!!
I just want to thank the lady that gave me this dresser,, I am really sorry have forgotten her name! but was up to my eyes moving in here!! We only moved in in February.
Can't wait until Christmas comes so I can decorate it with Christmas lights and festive bits, I will put some pics up then.
Thankyou for looking and Thankyou to Jumbletown a great place for people like myself that do not work and every little helps.
God Bless xxx

Angelsfishingrod
07-04-2011, 09:07 PM
This is our cottage which we rent. Bye for now.

Angelsfishingrod
07-04-2011, 09:12 PM
A lovely job done , id love a dresser but the kitchen in my cottage is way to small for one , you were very lucky to get that .
Thankyou Clubby, yes, I was very lucky!! my kitchen in the cottage if massive!! so no problem with room, and the ceiling goes into the roof.

darkell09
07-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Dresser looks great! Very well done :0)
I think the eye came from Santorini X

Angelsfishingrod
07-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Hi Darkell09, Thanks I knew you would know as you bought it for me! lol

raviravi
07-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Well done, it is fab and worth all the work. Good luck in your new home I hope you have managed to open all your boxes now!!

I must say what is it with men when you arrive home with something and they go: "you drove where for that, what are you thinking!" Then when it is finished they cant wait to show it off!!

TickTock
07-04-2011, 11:35 PM
What a brilliant project! You should both be very proud of yourselves. By the way, I have a question, where is this great market where you pick up such interesting and pretty items? I don't live in your area, but one day I promise myself I will travel there!!

ft39
08-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Looks great, very inspiring!

psj
08-04-2011, 09:46 AM
What a fab job. How long did the whole project take? I would also love to know where this market is and what day it is on? My other half is from Borris and we would have spent a lot of time in Co wexford over the years.

bubbles747
08-04-2011, 12:02 PM
what a good job! well done. i done somthing similar but it was a wall dresser.

Gormal
08-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Turned out lovely, what a fetch!

Narizota
08-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Lovely,I really enjoyed looking at your pictures,Angelsfishingrod!

I have a similar dresser that I want to paint and now that I have seen how good yours looks,I think I will definitely give it a go :)

Where did you get the handles from,if you don't mind my asking? They look really great,and set off the dresser very well.

felix1
08-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Georgous !

Angelsfishingrod
08-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Well done, it is fab and worth all the work. Good luck in your new home I hope you have managed to open all your boxes now!!

I must say what is it with men when you arrive home with something and they go: "you drove where for that, what are you thinking!" Then when it is finished they cant wait to show it off!!
Hi Raviravi,
Thanks very much, yes all boxes gone!!! now have to start on the garden again!! but its what I enjoy doing, only thing is because we rent I keep doing up the owners garden, then we decide to move again!! I must be mad but I couldn't leave it a mess, have to have a nice garden.
Be intouch.
Take Care :)

Angelsfishingrod
08-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Georgous !
Hi Felix1..
Thankyou very much I think its come out really good too.
:)

Angelsfishingrod
08-04-2011, 07:07 PM
Lovely,I really enjoyed looking at your pictures,Angelsfishingrod!

I have a similar dresser that I want to paint and now that I have seen how good yours looks,I think I will definitely give it a go :)

Where did you get the handles from,if you don't mind my asking? They look really great,and set off the dresser very well.
Hi Narizota..
Thankyou for your comments,, we got the handles in our local Co-op store luck really. €2.50 each so not expensive.
I would definitely do yours up and put some pictures up when you have finished.
Good luck :)

Angelsfishingrod
08-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Turned out lovely, what a fetch!
Hi Gormal..
Thankyou very much I am delighted the way it turned out.
Good luck :)

Angelsfishingrod
08-04-2011, 07:13 PM
What a fab job. How long did the whole project take? I would also love to know where this market is and what day it is on? My other half is from Borris and we would have spent a lot of time in Co wexford over the years.
Hi psj,
Thankyou for your comments. I would say it took us about 4-5wks in all. The longest part was stripping it all back which did take a few hours!!!
The market is !!!! hang on if I tell you then you would be getting all the bargains!!! ummmmhhh have to think about this now!!
:) :) :)

Angelsfishingrod
08-04-2011, 07:15 PM
What a brilliant project! You should both be very proud of yourselves. By the way, I have a question, where is this great market where you pick up such interesting and pretty items? I don't live in your area, but one day I promise myself I will travel there!!
Hi TickTock.. Thanks very much,, yes my husband keeps looking at it!!! and thinking about adding lights to it!! I remember he said would make good fire wood!!! ummmmhhh,,, can't tell you where the market is!!! its a secret!!!
:) :)

Angelsfishingrod
08-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Thanks for all your lovely comments, makes all the hard work worth while..
And to those of you that want to know where the market is held... It is called Un-Yoke, and it is on the coast road just before Castlebridge.. between Gorey and Arklow. It is on every Sunday (as long as its not pouring with rain)!! the best bargains are to got if you get there early!!!
Nice day out on a sunny day and also go the the beach at Courtown.
Thanks again.. and best wishes to all.
:) :)

darkell09
08-04-2011, 07:34 PM
I have spent many a day with you both at that Market :0) you always seem to bag all the bargains though! You have an eye for it. I got a lovely antique cake stand there.
Dresser looks really nice, il get sewing tonight & make you the hanging heart for it :0). X

psj
08-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Ah yes a difficult place to find if you don't know where u r goin! Was there only once. Had a lovely time and had icecream in the petrol station round the corner from there! Other half knew about it!

TickTock
09-04-2011, 05:46 PM
I will need specific directions of course! And a map!

tudlytops
09-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Really nice job, you can come and do a few of mine any time you feel a bit bored...:)

Angelsfishingrod
10-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Really nice job, you can come and do a few of mine any time you feel a bit bored...:)
Hi Tudlytops, Thankyou very much if I lived closer not a problem, love doing things like that. :)

Angelsfishingrod
11-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Hi there again, I have just remembered the ladies name who gave this to me!! Teresa.. so if you are ever reading this just a Big Thankyou once again. :)

sue
13-04-2011, 07:45 AM
It looks fabulous well done we ladies can and always do come through.....

nanna3
14-04-2011, 04:38 PM
hey lovely job, cant believe it turned out so well as it looked sooooo bad the last time i was in ur house....well done....mind u, come to think about it i'm sure it would look alot better in MY house..........

Jumbles
16-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Beautiful, well done!

Leahsmam
17-04-2011, 11:56 PM
well done you did a great job, love the white as it looks so clean and bright

Purplerain
18-04-2011, 08:13 AM
hi it s a lovely job i dont think actually i know i wouldnt have had the patience to strip of all the old paint.It was hard work but worth it and you will cherish it all the more.

paprika
24-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Well done, it looks fabulous!!

TillyL
24-04-2011, 06:58 PM
My special old witch.. which laughs and has flashing red eyes! when you press the button!! my grandaughter was scared stiff of it when she was younger.. god love her. awful Nanna!!

I'm the person who gave you the dresser and I am delighted to see it as you said you would do. Well done to all your hard work and as you say hubby was shocked at first. Isn't it nice to say "I told you so". Men don't appreciate the hard work we do and the foresight of women. I had intended at one time doing this project but with a million other jobs - new house to build - I couldn't see that happening for years. Enjoy it, it is beautiful and has lots of charm. Tess

goodasnew
26-04-2011, 01:55 AM
What a beautiful result... You've inspired me to do the same with my pine dresser. XOX

Bill_D
26-04-2011, 06:58 AM
Hi Angelsfishingrod, an excellent job to be sure, I think I have a set of 4 ceramic knobs, (white), in my shed. If so, and if you'd like to change the handles on the dresser, they're yours, I'll let you know :). This is the kinda stuff I like to do also...........and me being a man ha ha. Anyway, let me know lass.

Best regards

Bill

joshua3
21-05-2011, 05:33 PM
what great patience you have well done it looks fab x you have given me the idea to strip and paint my kitchen table but im afraid the paint will just chip off easily with the kids playing etc. did you need to put any type of varnish etc on top of the paint?

Angelsfishingrod
25-05-2011, 07:19 PM
I'm the person who gave you the dresser and I am delighted to see it as you said you would do. Well done to all your hard work and as you say hubby was shocked at first. Isn't it nice to say "I told you so". Men don't appreciate the hard work we do and the foresight of women. I had intended at one time doing this project but with a million other jobs - new house to build - I couldn't see that happening for years. Enjoy it, it is beautiful and has lots of charm. Tess
Hi Tess..
So glad you have found the dresser, I hope you are happy with the result, I was delighted to receive it and enjoyed doing it up.. I think it looks lovely now and its pride and place in my kitchen. So Thankyou again for the dresser I really appreciated it. and yes, I do say that to the hubby whenever he changes my ornaments around!! and puts his on it!!! that makes me mad... lol

Angelsfishingrod
25-05-2011, 07:22 PM
what great patience you have well done it looks fab x you have given me the idea to strip and paint my kitchen table but im afraid the paint will just chip off easily with the kids playing etc. did you need to put any type of varnish etc on top of the paint?

Hi Joshua3.. Well, I didnt use any varnish.. dont like the finished product,, all I did was give it 2 undercoats, and then 2 /3 top coat of Satin finish paint, which does state that it will not chip. Spend plenty of time rubbing old varnish off, and you will get a better finish, and also rub gently between top coats to get a smoother finish.
Hope this helps give it a go. Goodluck. :)

Angelsfishingrod
25-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Hi Angelsfishingrod, an excellent job to be sure, I think I have a set of 4 ceramic knobs, (white), in my shed. If so, and if you'd like to change the handles on the dresser, they're yours, I'll let you know :). This is the kinda stuff I like to do also...........and me being a man ha ha. Anyway, let me know lass.

Best regards

Bill

Hi Bill, Thats very kind of you.. I would love them and can change it around.. good idea. Best Wishes Fi :)

elbo
25-05-2011, 07:51 PM
I can't believe its the same dresser. Very well done to you. It looks fabulous.

lushington
30-05-2011, 03:04 PM
I totally agree. What a fantastic job you have done!

hackytza
01-06-2011, 08:44 AM
That's so beautiful! Well done!!!

miss lilac
05-07-2011, 11:02 AM
What a wonderful job you did on that dresser. You have given me inspiration to do up an old unit which has been in my husbands family for many years and which has been "sent " to the garage a few years now.....must get it out, strip it down and get on with the restoration over the summer months. That, along with painting 2 nice pine kitchen chairs and another lovely chair which I received recently from 2 other jumbletowners....thanks to them I will not be bored this summer. Will post pictures soon....

melissabell
05-07-2011, 11:51 AM
This looks amazing, well done!!! Ya I never listen to my other half about the state of things either lol, It really looks gorgeous!!

Torann
22-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Looks fab! I always have my eye peeled for an old dresser to do up so lucky you for getting one! I am jealous!

Angelsfishingrod
04-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Hi, and thanks to all new replies about the dresser.. its still pride and place, but ornaments have changed abit!! cant wait til Xmas time to decorate it nicely with lights and the rest.. will put up some pics when done. Its lovely to see it being used again and also painted my old rocking chair white which stands proudly next to it. :)

shibo
08-10-2011, 08:23 PM
looks fab! Great job! But why did you have to remove all the paint if you were just going to paint it again? I thought when you stripped it, it was to varnish it? I'm new to diy-ing.

Angelsfishingrod
08-10-2011, 08:40 PM
looks fab! Great job! But why did you have to remove all the paint if you were just going to paint it again? I thought when you stripped it, it was to varnish it? I'm new to diy-ing.
Hi Shibo.. Thanks for comment,,, I stripped it all back, as previous owner had put emulsion paint on it!! which doesnt really stay on wood.. it was peeling off just with your finger nail.. so wasnt difficult to get it off, and then put 2 coats of undercoat paint for wood,, then 2 top coats of Satin wood, not the gloss!! too shiny. now in future I can just rub down a little and just put on more satin wood, no need to put undercoat on again.. good luck. easy to pick up points just google it. :)

Angelsfishingrod
08-10-2011, 08:42 PM
What a beautiful result... You've inspired me to do the same with my pine dresser. XOX
Great goodasnew,, go for it.. I was going to paint it duckegg blue! but decided with white as it goes with everything. maybe next year a different colour!! good luck. :)

Angelsfishingrod
08-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Looks fab! I always have my eye peeled for an old dresser to do up so lucky you for getting one! I am jealous!
Hi Torann.. I was very lucky!! I put a Wanted add up on here, and thought nothing of it,,, little while later a lady contacted me and offered me one!! felt like Xmas all again.. couldnt believe my luck. was delighted. so give that a go. I am sure there are plenty of dressers sitting in old sheds! garages! all over Ireland.. just waiting to be made beautiful again. Good luck. :)

Angelsfishingrod
08-10-2011, 08:47 PM
What a wonderful job you did on that dresser. You have given me inspiration to do up an old unit which has been in my husbands family for many years and which has been "sent " to the garage a few years now.....must get it out, strip it down and get on with the restoration over the summer months. That, along with painting 2 nice pine kitchen chairs and another lovely chair which I received recently from 2 other jumbletowners....thanks to them I will not be bored this summer. Will post pictures soon....
Hi miss lilac,, WoW, that sounds great,, cant wait to see your finished job.. I am glad I have inspired you.. I will wait in anticipation... :)