PDA

View Full Version : occasional waste collection carlow- large items

Skittles
25-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Hi does anyon know if there is any occasional collection of large items in carlow town. I have an old single bed and mattress aswell as carpet as i am putting down wood floors in an apartment in carlow town.

Chris P
25-07-2006, 11:35 PM
Hi Skittles,

Phone Carlow County Council (reception: 059 9170300) -- they should be able to help you.

Also, see the link to their website at the bottom of JumbleTown's homepage.

Regards
Chris P
(Admin)

Ess Dubya
01-08-2006, 06:33 PM
no, no occaisonal collection

You can go to the landfill on the Kilkenny road with item's like that if you have some way of getting them there.

sparklyirisheyes
15-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Have you tried giving them away on jumbletown? thats the whole point of this website, so you dnt have to throw away old stuff, someone somewhere wants it! x

acket
15-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Have you tried giving them away on jumbletown? thats the whole point of this website, so you dnt have to throw away old stuff, someone somewhere wants it! xSO please come up with a possible repurposing or likely taker for an old (and I mean old) mattress.
It could not be used for its original purpose (human slumber) for health, moral and ethical reasons, so help me, skittles and a multitude of jumblers on this one.
On principal I would not give these to some stingy landlord whio intended inflicting them on poor unfortunates in the flat rental land.
Ideas please?

lolo1
15-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Hi There, i just wanted to let you know as regards to the carpet people often use old carpets and rugs and the likes to place on the ground where they want to get it ready for planting as the carpet when left on the ground for a while will kill all the grass and weeds and leave the soil very easy to work and if you can leave it on the ground from now until next spring it will have rotted into the ground and left a beautiful earth with nothing growing all ready to do with as you please and believe me this does work as i have tried it all the best Lolo

Chris P
16-08-2008, 01:50 AM
SO please come up with a possible repurposing or likely taker for an old (and I mean old) mattress.
It could not be used for its original purpose (human slumber) for health, moral and ethical reasons, so help me, skittles and a multitude of jumblers on this one.
On principal I would not give these to some stingy landlord whio intended inflicting them on poor unfortunates in the flat rental land.
Ideas please?
Hi acket,

Disposing of old, non-reusable mattresses can be problematic as many recycling centres don't accept them.

As I stated on a thread a while back, some firms in America and Belgium take old mattresses, strip them down, and recycle every single part of them, but I haven't been able to locate similar companies in Ireland so far. Maybe that's why so many mattresses end up in landfill and ditches around the country.

Mattress-encumbered folk could always follow the example of the gentleman in the article below who re-uses practically every part of his old mattresses. Please see here:
http://www.users.on.net/~arachne/mattress.html

Regards
Chris P
Admin

pitje
16-08-2008, 03:31 AM
hi hope you found someone

pitje
16-08-2008, 03:31 AM
did you find anyone to help....

acket
18-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Hi acket,

Disposing of old, non-reusable mattresses can be problematic as many recycling centres don't accept them.
Mattress-encumbered folk could always follow the example of the gentleman in the article below who re-uses practically every part of his old mattresses. Please see here:
http://www.users.on.net/~arachne/mattress.html

Regards
Chris P
AdminThanks for that Chris. Great tips for reusing the springs.

Now what do you suggest I do with a garden full of trapped cats? :o
JT wont let me give them away ;)

cormie
19-08-2008, 06:22 AM
Be careful of who you call to take away your waste. They should hold a valid waste permit for that county and these don't come cheap. Otherwise you may be driving down the beautiful countryside some day and see your old mattress in some field.