PDA

View Full Version : Hat for the races

melissabell
14-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Hi,

Last year in work they decided to go to the Punchestown races, now I had never been and didn't have a hat or anything so after all the inspiration I've seen here on Jumbletown I set to work. I'd been given 2 porcelain dolls by a kind jumbletowner ages ago so I started by taking ones of their hats and painting it black with acrylic paint to match my outfit. Then I dug out a satin covered hair band to fix it to with some super glue and stitches. I went into pennies and got a few hair bits and took them apart and dug out some feathers I had and cut them to size (the white one is a swan feather) I fixed them to the side of the hat with super glue and hey presto... I was fit for the races....or at least I thought I was lol :)

Chris P
14-06-2011, 10:08 PM
That's a great-looking hat, melissabell -- it puts Philip Treacy to shame (he of the Princess Beatrice "bunny-hat" fame). Nice to see you also allowed Brent Pope to be photographed with you!

Thanks for sharing your style and creativity!

Regards
Chris P
Admin

tudlytops
14-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Fantastic...:)

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
14-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Hi Melissabell, fabulous hat and so creative. Apart from the money saved it is wonderful to know it is unique--no chance of bumping into a 'lookalike'. Hope it brought you good luck at the races!!

shonastar
15-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Hi Melissabell, looks fabulous, v. inspiring!

Linn
15-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Beautiful Melissa and you looked stunning, fair play to you x x

Gormal
15-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Lovely well done!

penelope
15-06-2011, 12:06 PM
You look great, the hat looks great.

sparkwell
15-06-2011, 08:08 PM
You looked lovely Melissabell easily would have won Ladies Day!

melissabell
15-06-2011, 08:16 PM
lol not a hope, what was even funnier was I didn't know who Brent was just one of the lads said it to me and I got the photo as Padraig's sister is a huge rugby fan :)

Merienne
16-06-2011, 02:46 PM
I love it!
Both you and hat look great. As a lover of anything fascinator-y I'm deeply impressed. I even asked permisson to gather some shed peacock feathers when we visited a Scottish castle. But then my partner gave them to the cat. (Who is the only one I know who loves fascinators as much as I do.)

Scrabble
16-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Great job. It really looks well. You really used your imagination to make it.
Looking forward to seeing further crafty projects by you.
Scrabble

melissabell
16-06-2011, 09:24 PM
As weird as this sounds our neighbour has peacocks. I live in a housing estate but theres a road behind our house and the guy that lives there has them, The novelty of seeing a peacock in my garden has completely worn off though as they like to eat my plants and are very noisy!!! I might be able to get you some feathers if you like :)

I love it!
Both you and hat look great. As a lover of anything fascinator-y I'm deeply impressed. I even asked permisson to gather some shed peacock feathers when we visited a Scottish castle. But then my partner gave them to the cat. (Who is the only one I know who loves fascinators as much as I do.)

Mandolin
17-06-2011, 11:53 AM
This is stunning - you're very talented. Looks fantastic on you too.

Merienne
17-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the offer Melissabell, but by the sounds of it you'd just like to rip the feathers out of them;-). Only joking, I bet it's not so much fun having them in the garden, they're bloody huge up close. And very sharp beaked I noticed when feeding them.
Seeing your talent though, you could make something fabulous if you caught one of them unawares...

melissabell
17-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the offer Melissabell, but by the sounds of it you'd just like to rip the feathers out of them;-). Only joking, I bet it's not so much fun having them in the garden, they're bloody huge up close. And very sharp beaked I noticed when feeding them.
Seeing your talent though, you could make something fabulous if you caught one of them unawares...

Don't tempt me...........lol