PDA

View Full Version : Tiled Garden Wall No.2

shonastar
09-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Hi all, finally finished the wall, my hands are killing me! I'm very happy with how it turned out, now I just have to make a bench and this little corner of the garden is done. Thanks for looking x

Scrabble
09-07-2011, 05:52 PM
This looks really well. Hope we get some nice weather so you can sit out to enjoy all your hard work.
Regards
Scrabble

mondubics
09-07-2011, 06:54 PM
And the table sets it off so well! The bench will be something special, I bet.

shonastar
09-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks Scrabble and Mondubics! I've been rooting in the garage for materials for the bench, so far I've found a metal bed frame, and 3 cast iron chair backrests. I had hoped to spend tomorrow making the bench but I'm very short on wood, so it might have to wait. (And my hands are really sore, today was labour intensive!) Thanks again for the kind words x

melissabell
10-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Hi,

that looks great!!! well done so much better than a boring wall :)

Chris P
10-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Once again, fabulous work, shonastar!

Regards
Chris P
Admin

shonastar
10-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks Melissabell and Chris P! Over the years I've done loads of stuff with broken tiles, much of which I've posted here, walls, flowerbed, tables etc. However, I think this will be the last post about tiles for a very long time, my hands are in bits (due to extended contact with grout yesterday........ a bad workman blames his tools, but if the workwoman didn't clean her tools properly last time and then ended up grouting a wall with her bare hands, and the choice is blame herself or the tools........I'll gladly blame the tools) Lets just say I'm over tiling for a while!! However, I do absolutely love the result, even more than the tree (tiled garden wall no. 1), maybe the photos don't do it justice, or maybe it just needs a bench..........

psj
10-07-2011, 10:12 PM
I must say i love it! Whatever you used for the bottom of the table (legs) was a fab idea. Looks so professional! You wouldn't get as nice in a shop! Well done!

Chris P
10-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks Melissabell and Chris P! Over the years I've done loads of stuff with broken tiles, much of which I've posted here, walls, flowerbed, tables etc. However, I think this will be the last post about tiles for a very long time, my hands are in bits (due to extended contact with grout yesterday........ a bad workman blames his tools, but if the workwoman didn't clean her tools properly last time and then ended up grouting a wall with her bare hands, and the choice is blame herself or the tools........I'll gladly blame the tools) Lets just say I'm over tiling for a while!! However, I do absolutely love the result, even more than the tree (tiled garden wall no. 1), maybe the photos don't do it justice, or maybe it just needs a bench..........
Methinks your magic-hands need a well-deserved rest, shonastar.

Thanks for sharing not only your latest handiwork but also your earlier visual treats which, for anyone who has missed them, can be enjoyed at the links below:

Wall #1:
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=115788

Table #1:
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=33936

Table #2:
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=116686

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Bibi
14-07-2011, 02:07 AM
Hi there,

Lovely work. What type of adhesive did you use please?

Regards.
Bibi.

shonastar
14-07-2011, 06:54 AM
Hi Bibi,
Apart from tiles you need adhesive and grout, any tile shop or diy store will have them, just ask for an adhesive which is also suitable for outdoors. Once the tiles are properly stuck on with adhesive, leave to dry for 24 hours. All that's left is to grout it. I'd also advise getting wide join grout, it's for when you have wider gaps between the tiles ie. larger than a few mm. You also need a trowel for using with the adhesive, a flat trowel for smoothing on grout and a large sponge for washing off excess grout. I would advise anyone who has no experience of tiling to watch a few how-to videos on you tube, just to get an idea of what to do.
Hope that helps,
Shonastar

Laineym
18-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Hi there,

I absolutely love your tiled wall - it is fabulous - thanks for the inspiration....

Chris P thanks fir posting the links to the other projects too :-)

Laineym

Bibi
18-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Hi Shonastar,

Thanks for info....now all I need is nice weather & I can get started!!

Regards.
Bibi.

shonastar
19-07-2011, 07:09 AM
Hi Laineym and Bibi, thanks for your lovely comments, here's a flowerbed from ages ago, it's one of the first projects I did with tiles.

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=43733&highlight=tiled+flowerbed

Don't forget to post pics if you get the tiling bug! x

ghendy
19-07-2011, 08:47 PM
This is beautiful. Well done. Wish I had your talents

amybaby
30-07-2011, 09:32 PM
WOW! i'm lost for words. (and believe me that's something.) what a great job. congratulations. enjoy your rest.

noni
03-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Well done! It looks great.

Kleenqueen
06-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Hi Shonaster, well done on all your work. Just looking through the photos. It's amazing what you can do with left over stuff with a bit of vision, patience and time! I am inspired by your walled border and the wall with the red flowers. Question: The wall with the red flowers - did you plaster that first? The walls I have are the ordinary bare concrete blocks. I have often thought about decorating the walls but my limited imagination only extended as far as painting them white. I just love your ideas. Kleenqueen

shonastar
08-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Wow! I'm just back from holidays and I'm blown away by the very thoughtful comments, thanks to everyone. In reply to Kleenqueen, the wall with the red flowers was plastered already, but I can guarantee that plastering isn't necessary. The flowerbed in my Mam's was built from scratch and was tiled without plastering first. As long as the surface to be tiled is fairly even, it will be fine. I'm not a professional tiler (as the prof. tilers in my family will quite readily attest to) but the beauty of this type of work is exactly that..... it doesn't have to be perfect. It's not a bathroom or kitchen, the surface doesn't have to be perfectly even, it might seem like a difficult job, but honestly it's not that hard and you are only limited by your imagination. (and materials but if anyone needs broken tiles and is willing to travel to Dungarvan PM me and I will sort you out!) All the best, Shonastar x

rubyruby
08-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Hi Shonastar, what a really beautiful job, well done, you must be so proud, love to craft myself but never tried this.... now you have got me thinking....well done again. Ruby..

mbd
21-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Hi
shonaster, OMG what a wonderful job, you have inspired me to do something similar with a kids play area, although I think it may take me years, and , by the time I have finished the kids will have grown up and left home.......

shonastar
22-08-2011, 07:43 AM
Thank you to rubyruby and mbd for the lovely comments. I agree a job like this can seem daunting at first......my advice is to get stuck in, it really won't take as long as you think! I would love to see someone else's take on a tiled wall! Best regards x

warrior
10-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Hi all, finally finished the wall, my hands are killing me! I'm very happy with how it turned out, now I just have to make a bench and this little corner of the garden is done. Thanks for looking x
fair play to ya, what a great job well done, put them skills to work. NICE.

caroline880
19-11-2011, 08:28 PM
wow what a gr8 job you have given me a great idea for the summer iv a shed full of odds and ends in tiles hope you dont mind me robbing you.re idea x

eilo
07-01-2012, 05:18 AM
love it well done

Sarahnimble
09-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Fantastic wall!

I Its great to see people still taking pride in their gardens

:)

shonastar
09-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Thank you all once again for the lovely comments, I've been plotting and planning all winter, have loads more ideas for the garden.....roll on spring!!!

Mensa6
13-01-2012, 05:07 PM
I love this website, so many talented people on it. That wall is fabulous.

Jayne402010
21-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Was just going through old garden posts gleaning them for ideas to be truthful! when I came across your work, omg the mosaic stuff is fab, gorgeous, really really pretty!
I so understand what you mean about your hands after grouting, mine were dry for days after no matter how much cream I rubbed into them. The trouble with me is I like doing everything with my bare hands and thus they look old and withered and my nails... huh... I don't even wanna mention what they look like at times!
That table you did is absolutely stunning, tell me what varnish did you use?( I picked up a piece of wood on the beach and want to just place it in my garden as a feature.)
Isn't it amazing how talented people are ! I love it!

shonastar
22-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Hi Jayne, thank you for your kind words! As far as I remember it was Ronseal (the one with a 5yr guarantee) I would highly recommend it as my table has been out all winter and is still very well protected. Next on my 'to do' list is benches for it, have been putting it off for ages.
I've actually been tiling this week in the garden, we put up a wooden fence along one side but had to cut the fence around the wall where it jutted out. It looked really ugly so of course I tiled over it lol! Will try and post pics later,

kind regards,
Shonastar

terr50
21-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Amazing!