PDA

View Full Version : Can't get into a wall without gouging it out!

Duchesne
18-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Hiya
I'm having problems trying to mount a shelf to a partition wall.....shameful I know. The house was built in the 50's as far as I know if that helps. Each time I try to drill a hole, black grit falls out and the bit gets very hot. The plaster just falls off the wall so I'm left with big holes in my wall! I can't seem to go in more than a couple of millimeters! Any ideas Jumbletowners :)

Fries-With-That
22-09-2013, 09:32 AM
It sounds like, the drill and drill bit you are using are not strong enough to do the job properly.

What kind are you using.

mondubics
22-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Hiya
I'm having problems trying to mount a shelf to a partition wall.....shameful I know. The house was built in the 50's as far as I know if that helps. Each time I try to drill a hole, black grit falls out and the bit gets very hot. The plaster just falls off the wall so I'm left with big holes in my wall! I can't seem to go in more than a couple of millimeters! Any ideas Jumbletowners :)
Now, I'm not a builder or an expert, but in the 1950's houses were sometimes made of single solid blocks, or concrete, so maybe its the drill bit?

Duchesne
23-09-2013, 10:25 PM
Thank you both so much for your reply. The drill I'm using is a "Argos Hammer Drill - 500W" the drill bit I used was Holz, I think!

Paddy2013
24-09-2013, 03:28 PM
My guess is that you've got a wood or metal bit, rather than a masonry one. Or possibly a masonary one with the head gone on it. The type you need is the one on the left of the attached.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/2/23/Main_drill_bit_types_2734-7.jpg

Duchesne
24-09-2013, 08:48 PM
My guess is that you've got a wood or metal bit, rather than a masonry one. Or possibly a masonary one with the head gone on it. The type you need is the one on the left of the attached.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/2/23/Main_drill_bit_types_2734-7.jpg

Thank you soooooooooo much :-)

I didn't think I would off needed a masonry bit for a partition wall but clearly I've no idea :-)

Henriette
26-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Hi there,
just to let you know "Holz" is German and means wood. :-) Best of luck with finding the right drill bit and with your project!

Duchesne
26-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Hi there,
just to let you know "Holz" is German and means wood. :-) Best of luck with finding the right drill bit and with your project!

Ah thanks very much :-)