PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Suggestions / Advice, Please!!

Bunty
27-09-2007, 09:13 PM
I am trying to put a project on Heritage together for young people; ie. life as it was pre-electricity era, if any of you can come up with suggestions on literature that might help, I would appreciate it.
Perhaps someone might have stories or thoughts on 'Hiring Fairs' 'Matchmaking' etc. I would love to hear from you.
I have also tried to obtain videos on a programme called 'Hands' which was shown on RTE
Thanks in anticipation,
Bunty.

Chris P
27-09-2007, 09:37 PM
I am trying to put a project on Heritage together for young people; ie. life as it was pre-electricity era, if any of you can come up with suggestions on literature that might help, I would appreciate it.
Perhaps someone might have stories or thoughts on 'Hiring Fairs' 'Matchmaking' etc. I would love to hear from you.
I have also tried to obtain videos on a programme called 'Hands' which was shown on RTE
Thanks in anticipation,
Bunty.

Hi Bunty,

That sounds like a great project. I'm sure a Google search would come up with a good reading-list and possible resources but the first book that comes to my mind is the classic "Irish Folk Ways" (1957) by E. Estyn Evans.

Extracts can be seen on Google Books here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=HjDPRIC6QhwC&dq=estyn+evans&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=eXZD1LiLht&sig=Sg2zjxVFlbFJNK6h6zu3IN1fnqE#PPP1,M1

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Bunty
27-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks a mill. Chris, I have googled some ideas already & have come up with some info. Keep up the good work!
Regards,
Bunty