PDA

View Full Version : question relating to the new regulation on light bulbs

cascais
01-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Hi Dave and Chris,

i have a quick question regarding the new legislation that was dicussed at the last budget to ban existing light bulbs to only allow home users to buy eco friendly light bulbs .

i will have soon a a few light fittings to give away (70's style). at the moment these take a standard bulb that we can find in most shops, but i am not sure whether they can also take the new type of eco friendly bulbs.They are in perfect condition and in perfect working order, and may suit someone with a retro style taste. I have not tried to replace them (although to be honnest i have not look for any bulbs either), not sure if they even exist in that shape.

should i still post these items on the website and let the takers make their own minds or is there any guidelines regarding to these type of light bulbs and equipement that require them? Can we still give them away ?

looking forward to your opinion on this ,
kind regards

cascais

Chris P
01-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Hi cascais,

I suggest you post your items (plus a pic, if you can) on JumbleTown and see if there are any Takers.

The following post may also be of interest:
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=8396&highlight=light+bulbs

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Fries-With-That
01-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Hi Dave and Chris,

i have a quick question regarding the new legislation that was dicussed at the last budget to ban existing light bulbs to only allow home users to buy eco friendly light bulbs .

i will have soon a a few light fittings to give away (70's style). at the moment these take a standard bulb that we can find in most shops, but i am not sure whether they can also take the new type of eco friendly bulbs.They are in perfect condition and in perfect working order, and may suit someone with a retro style taste. I have not tried to replace them (although to be honnest i have not look for any bulbs either), not sure if they even exist in that shape.

should i still post these items on the website and let the takers make their own minds or is there any guidelines regarding to these type of light bulbs and equipement that require them? Can we still give them away ?

looking forward to your opinion on this ,
kind regards

cascais

Hi Cascais,

I was in an international chain store recently and you can get several kinds of those new light bulbs.

I was surprised to see them in so many diverse sizes as the ones I have used up to this point have been long thin ones or very heavy glass ones with the cfl inside a glass dome shape.

The interesting thing about these new CFL fittings is that if you have light fittings with the bayonet type bulb (the most common in Ireland) as opposed to the Eddison screw in type ( generally used in decorative lamp fittings here) you're going to pay up to 60% more.

I've just checked the companys UK website and there is no difference in price for either style of fitting over there.....methinks I need to make a phone call to their head office in the morning.

Regards,

Fries.

cascais
01-01-2008, 08:10 PM
hi chris,

thanks for the reply,

i will organize a few pictures and ask my partner to take them down.
they will be posted shortly (probably over the weekend) on this site .

thanks for your help,
kind regards