PDA

View Full Version : Recycling charge

tudlytops
03-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Hi! and happy new Year all.
I wander if someone can explain something to me.
When we buy something electric in a shop we pay a recycling charge so why is it that if we get rid of it some time later and bring it to a recycling center we have to pay again?

Fries-With-That
03-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Hi Tudlytops,

You shouldn't have to pay to bring your domestic (this includes electrical items) recyclable goods to a corporation or council operated recycling centre.

These are state funded and therefore don't charge the public again.

On the other hand if you bring stuff to a privatly operated recycling centre you may have to pay a fee depending on the item/items.

I personally don't think that the private operator should be charging the public for bringing items to them.

Regards,

Fries.

tudlytops
03-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Dear Fries,

That is what I though, but I live in Mungret, there is a recycling center that says limerick cooperation and not only do they charge €3 for paper, glass, etc, they have a separate charge for electrical waste.
I thought once we paid for the electric goods recycling tax or levy (whatever the name its still a tax) that would be it, but its not so we end up paying it twice.
Cristina

Fries-With-That
03-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi Tudlytops,

As I suspected Limerick county council has handed over its responsibility for waste recycling to a private operator.

"Limerick County Council has awarded Indaver Ireland Limited the contract to manage and operate its three Civic Amenity Centres. Indaver Ireland is an integrated waste management company involved in all aspects of waste management."

I would imagine that if this company can make a profit in county Meath and in county Limerick the respective councils could also operate these centres and provide employment if not make a profit.

Regards,

Fries.

tudlytops
03-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Hi! Fries,

And yes I am sure that the councils could also provide the same services, but the truss is that people in the privet sector have lower wages, work longer hours and don't go on strike, it cost less for the government to pass this on to privet companies and it fills some one's pockets, but that is politics.

I don't mind so much the €3 charge for domestic rubbish, but why should we pay extra for electric items when we already paid it at the shops when we bought the item in the first place? This is what I don't understand.
No wander people continue to place electric items in their normal bin.
Regards,
Tudly

Womblemum
03-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi
Do what I have done Tudly, bring the item back to either where you have purchased in the first place or to where you bought the replacement and let them dispose of it which they have to under the regulations.
Dolores

Chris P
03-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi! Fries,

And yes I am sure that the councils could also provide the same services, but the truss is that people in the privet sector have lower wages, work longer and don't go on strike, it cost less for the government to pass this on to privet companies and it fills some one's pockets, but that is politics.

I don't mind so much the €3 charge for domestic rubbish, but why should we pay extra for electric items when we already paid it at the shops when we bought the item in the first place? This is what I don't understand.
No wander people continue to place electric items in their normal bin.
Regards,
Tudly

Hi tudlytops,

As Fries says, private recycling companies often charge a fee for recycling items but local authorities should not.

Here's the official line from the Dept of the Environment website:

"Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE)
The WEEE Directive requires producers to be responsible for the financing of the collection, treatment, recovery and environmentally sound disposal of WEEE from 13 August 2005. It means that final users of such household WEEE are entitled to leave that waste back free of charge, either to retail outlets in instances where a replacement item is purchased, or other authorised collection points, including local authority civic amenity sites, from that date onwards."

More here:
http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Waste/WEEE/

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Womblemum
03-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Happy New Year Chris, quick off the mark as usual! Start as you mean to go no?????
D

tudlytops
03-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Dear Dolores and Chris,

I am aware I could bring it back, but in my case the shop is closed down, also are we expected to keep receipts for the life of the item to prof where we bought them.
I can't just go to any other shop and say, here take it you sell them so here you are, so I have to take it to a centre and once more pay for it.

Tudly

Chris P
03-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Hi tudlytops,

Have you checked out the following?

http://www.limerickcorp.ie/OurServices/Environment/ReduceReuseRecycleWasteDisposal/WasteatHome/WasteElectricalItems/

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Womblemum
03-01-2008, 02:21 PM
I have brought things back to places not purchased but have enquired politely beforehand if thats ok. I have never been refused.
D

tudlytops
03-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Dear Chris,

Thanks I was not aware of that. Well save it for the future.
Thanks
Tudly

theoleary
12-09-2008, 09:11 AM
I've noticed B&Q in Mahon Point have a bin inside the door (beside Customer Service) that seems to have all sorts of smaller electrical recycling in it - and I saw stuff in there like cassette players that I know B&Q don't sell, so maybe this is a service they offer - good idea - it would bring more people into their store.

On the other hand - the Cork City Council (or whatever they are called this week) Amenity Centre (ie dump) on the Kinsale Road DOES charge for recycling - outrageous! (Cork County Council sites do not charge for recycling)
===============
Kinsale Road Civic Amenity/Recycling Centre
Members of the public may dispose of the following recyclable materials for a fee of €2.00. All other waste will be charged at the appropriate rate.

* Aluminium Drink Cans *
* Glass Bottles *
* Clean Plastic Bottles (e.g. PET (plastic mineral bottles) *
* HDPE (shampoo bottles) *
* Milk bottles (plastic only) *
* Tetrapaks *
* Cardboard (Boxes should be flattened)
* Newspapers and Magazines
* Batteries
* Scrap Metal
* Waste Engine Oil
* Food Cans *
===================

angling mad
12-09-2008, 10:56 AM
us here in the fingal area have three bins a green, brown and black bin. the green is for paper cans plastic etc and the brown is for garden waste. we now have to pay over a hundred euro a year and they give us three stickers for each bin but we also still buy a bin tag for 8e for the black bin and if we don't pay you don't get the stickers so they won't collect any of the bins even if you have your 8e bin tag on it. why have we to pay to recylce when they are making a profit on recycling our goods so as usual we are been fleeced for supplying them with the materials to do this. would this really encourage you to help the so called enviroment.

misstake
12-09-2008, 11:19 AM
the store where you purchased your new item is bound by law to take your old appliance free of charge But i think all do now anyway all you need is your receipt of new purchase if its a we while later you return the old appliance

acket
12-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Mentioned on JT already but no harm in doing so here

WEEE are doing a free collection from Tesco Clearwater Finglas and Ballymun Shopping centre car park on 20th Sept 2008

CleoCy
28-09-2008, 12:09 PM
You may not be aware that much of the, supposedly being recycled, waste is shipped abroad, to countries such as India, China, etc, to be recycled there! Great for a carbon footprint, isn't it?

In North Wales, where we lived previously, our local civic amenity site had the option that we could buy items dumped by others. Which meant, of course, that if you needed a part for an old machine like an old washing machine, or you wanted cheap garden tools which needed minimal refurbishment, you could acquire these at very low cost. When I went to our local civic amenity site, in Mayo, and saw something that I wanted to recycle, I was told that I could not purchase anything on site, except the bags for dumping, and of course, the composters, as everything else was sold on to be recycled. What every happened to the Re-use bit of the slogan?

Chris P
28-09-2008, 12:17 PM
...waste is shipped abroad, to countries such as India, China...What every happened to the Re-use bit of the slogan?
Hi CleoCy,

We at JumbleTown have been making these points for quite some time but as you state, recycling creates jobs and money whereas the more environmentally sound practice of re-use/life-cycling doesn't really.

Re: China, please see jackbauer's post #7 on the thread below:
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=4528

Regards
Chris P
Admin

theoleary
28-09-2008, 12:22 PM
In Germany at a local council recycling centre (and rubbish tip) I noticed that a complete building was provided for stuff to be left in, out of the rain, for people to take away. Furniture, appliances - anything that was in working condition. I asked about such a system here (in Cork) - the reply was along the line of "oh no we couldn't do that - then people would be coming in here and taking things away!"!
Similarly - in Boston there were shelves provided in a sort of roofed over but open shed where you could put up books, and of course take away any you wanted. Great fun. Some of the train stations in NJ have or had a system for leaving your read books for others to read, and leave somewhere else.

kiara
19-11-2008, 02:13 PM
In Germany at a local council recycling centre (and rubbish tip) I noticed that a complete building was provided for stuff to be left in, out of the rain, for people to take away. Furniture, appliances - anything that was in working condition. I asked about such a system here (in Cork) - the reply was along the line of "oh no we couldn't do that - then people would be coming in here and taking things away!"!
Similarly - in Boston there were shelves provided in a sort of roofed over but open shed where you could put up books, and of course take away any you wanted. Great fun. Some of the train stations in NJ have or had a system for leaving your read books for others to read, and leave somewhere else.

i love this idea! but if you did it here you would probably face a littering fine!

TanTan
19-11-2008, 04:50 PM
just lately bought a new washing machine and shop delivery man took our old one. My husband said in the shop where we bought the new one "sure someone might need the old one for parts" and the lovely lady said "well you stop the vans on the road meet in the morning and load up one full or sometimes two vans and straight to the dump. Some people might be only upgrading their old product like a TV or microwave she said and peg out the old one which is in perfect condition".

PS made a lovely birdbath out of door glassbowl for the garden........

theoleary
19-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Had a chat with the lady who runs the Cork tip sorry Civic Amenity centre at Rafeen. I asked her about taking stuff away and was told it was forbidden (at least while she was around, or looking.....). She was a bit embarrassed - she said her hands were tied by legalities and insurance but that the main reason was the Government had implemented the Re-Cycle section of the EU directive (the WEEE I presume) but had not implemented the Re-Use section. Any legal eagle out there know what she meant??

misstake
19-11-2008, 06:59 PM
i work in a electrical store who take in the old stuff Got me a fantastic telly and vidio there last week in perfect working order lol anyway this store used to leave the WEE in the yard in the back where you could take bits and pieces off the stuff Until people came took parts and left stuff all over the yard Then they stole from other stores who had stuff waiting to be delivered into the stores Needless to say we had to stop anyone coming into the yard as it was dangerous and was a headache for security

theoleary
19-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Yes misstake - I appreciate this is a problem I recall driving into a dump 20 or so years ago with a trailer load of stuf - freezer and so on. BEFORE the car had come to a stop, 2 guys from competing families of Travellers had leapt on the trailer and started to drag stuff off. All around there was chaos - someone chopping through a fridge and Freon spewing out etc. So there is a serious problem with allowing "amateurs" on-site. But there must be some way to regulate this and make it possible to find spare parts, or indeed make a low-level living finding spare parts and repairing stuff for people.

Grange99
26-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Tuddleytops,

The return of electrical waste is under the WEEE regs, 2005. That is waste electrical, electronic equipment. From the 13th of August 2005 if you buy for example a kettle you will pay a recycl;ing fee of say approx 5 euro on top of buying the kettle. It would be mentioned (recylcing fund). The idea then is that you bring back your old kettle, freezer, toaster, computer etc for free.

The landfill would have a recylcing charge on that. Another option without paying at the landfill is keep an eye on papers for free recycling days orgnised by your local county council.

Best regards,

Grange 99

garrazzaband
09-10-2009, 03:16 PM
I've noticed B&Q in Mahon Point have a bin inside the door (beside Customer Service) that seems to have all sorts of smaller electrical recycling in it - and I saw stuff in there like cassette players that I know B&Q don't sell, so maybe this is a service they offer - good idea - it would bring more people into their store.

On the other hand - the Cork City Council (or whatever they are called this week) Amenity Centre (ie dump) on the Kinsale Road DOES charge for recycling - outrageous! (Cork County Council sites do not charge for recycling)
===============
Kinsale Road Civic Amenity/Recycling Centre
Members of the public may dispose of the following recyclable materials for a fee of €2.00. All other waste will be charged at the appropriate rate.

* Aluminium Drink Cans *
* Glass Bottles *
* Clean Plastic Bottles (e.g. PET (plastic mineral bottles) *
* HDPE (shampoo bottles) *
* Milk bottles (plastic only) *
* Tetrapaks *
* Cardboard (Boxes should be flattened)
* Newspapers and Magazines
* Batteries
* Scrap Metal
* Waste Engine Oil
* Food Cans *
===================
The council amenity at Youghal (which is run by Cork County Council) have recently introduced a charge of €3 euros to walk through the gate and deposit recycling material. ,,,Robbers!. No wonder my beautiful lanes are covered with dumped bags...

briansbgc
09-10-2009, 03:44 PM
You don't, not in my local recycleing center, get your facts right

Izzyizzy
09-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Hi everyone.
I live in Co.Waterford and use a private company for refuse collection. We have 2 bins and I pay 75 euro every three months. the bins are collected on alternate weeks. Glass goes to recycling bins locally. I am sure this is expensive enough but they are there without fail on the allocated day and I am happy to have my waste collected from my front gate. Have a good weekend everyone.
Izzyizzy

cathy
09-10-2009, 05:03 PM
our recycling centre charge €2.00 car enterance, but its free to recycle green waste???

garrazzaband
09-10-2009, 06:22 PM
You don't, not in my local recycleing center, get your facts right

I paste in the following paragraph regarding what was said on this subject at the local council meeting by a councillor:-

"New recycling charges
Cllr Linehan Foley said the new 3 gate fee at the civic amenity
site was unfair and counter productive. She said it would exacerbate
illegal dumping, whereas the original concept of free recycling
was to educate and encourage responsible waste disposal.
The Town Manager said Cork County Council provides both residential
and recycling services. She said the costs are extremely
high, with the Council providing facilities for the authority’s customers
and non-customers. She highlighted glass disposal as one
example of this. Recyclable material had the to be taken away,
which incurred further cost.
Cllr Hennessy said a flat fee should replace the ’pay-by-weight’"

You can verify this by checking out : 'Youghal News' newspaper, edition february 2009, Page 6. Or contacting Cllr Linehan.

Hope this helps to clarify 'fee charges at some council recycling centres'.

theoleary
09-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Yes - Cork Co Council at Raffeen now charges €3 entry fee, even if you are just recycling. Plus €7 per bag of "waste".

We go once a month now and so spend €10 for one bag of waste plus all the recycling.In time we should get it down to one visit every 2 months I hope. Time wasted I suppose but beats paying the pay-by-weight plus standing charge.

Note: you must NOT be charged anything, even the €3 entry fee, if you are recycling only electrical items - that has already been paid for under the WEE legislation. Cork CC in Raffeen know this - make sure your site does too!

cavalin
09-10-2009, 09:02 PM
our local recycling centre (baileboro) defiantly charges even if its electric goods.You have to pay to get out of the gate regardless of what you've recycled???

theoleary
09-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Interesting - I think it was the Manager at Raffeen who told me that because we have already paid a recycling fee (through the PRF levy) they were legally obliged to accept electrical and electronics for recycling without any extra charge. Now I can't quote you chapter and verse on that but I will make some enquiries. Alas I doubt I will get much satisfaction - I have emailed and phoned both Cork City Council and Cork County Council with questions regarding waste and you either get a "full" message on the phone mailbox or just no reply to emails.
As far as I know the WEE/PRF arrangment was so that the wholesalers and retailers would not have to have their shops cluttered up with returned recycling.
I don't know of any other country that charges for recycling!

cavalin
09-10-2009, 10:12 PM
l have said this to the guy who works there and he just maintains he was told no matter what you have you pay 3e.He wasn't impressed at all.You pay to lift the gate and he can't over-ride it.

cascade35
10-10-2009, 03:18 PM
In Clonmel we have a private company that takes the following items for free

drinks cans
glass
cardboard
newspaper
car batteries
small electrical items
grass
hedge clippings
these are the items i can think of but i know there is 15 free items

its 50 cent for a bag of recyling and 3 euro per black bag of rubbish

We also have a council run site that takesall electric items for free.

Futher more the council are doing one off collection of bulk items from peoples houses for asmall fee.

Council used to provide a skip once a year to council estates for residents to dump big items in.

theoleary
10-10-2009, 04:01 PM
According to the WEEE ireland page:
Collection

Since the introduction of the WEEE Regulations 2005 Consumers can bring their unwanted electrical and electronic equipment to their local Civic Amenity centres for recycling free of charge.

The WEEE Ireland map gives details of Civic Amenity centres nationwide with WEEE collection facilities......

----
according to the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) Ireland site:
Consumers: Consumers should no longer simply throw away old electrical and electronic equipment. They should be able to return it on a 1:1 basis to shops when purchasing a new product, as well as to other collection points, both free of charge.
--------

Interestingly - Cork Co Co website states that

"The fortnightly recyclable collection service is free, whilst the charge for ordinary waste collection is extremely competitive..." - this implies that we could leave out the recycling bin for them every 2 weeks, even though we no longer pay for the "pay-by-weight" - must try that - should reduce my trip to the dump a bit as the majority of our recycling is cardboard paper and plastic bottles.

saoirsetom
10-10-2009, 09:14 PM
OH MY GOD.................
here in portlaoise the recycling centre has introduced a charge of 3euro to enter the centre no matter what you want to recycle,

even if its an electric item that you have already paid a charge when you purched it. or if you want to recycle used clothes that you think will do for some poor unfortunate that can't afford new clothes.

i was in belfast the other day and saw a centre that will pay you for your used clothes and other items why are we getting soooooooooooooo greedy in ireland i thought we were known for the nice friendly irish didn't know we were so mean..................