PDA

View Full Version : Ppppssstttt Pass It On!!

cheddarlane
07-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Tell everyone and anyone about this site!!
I have invited new residents this week, and do so most weeks.

But I am so sad to see some people who haven't heard of the site and often due to no internet access!

I was driving though Lucan yesterday and saw 5 skips in one street alone!!
Loads of furniture and toys etc pilled up. Such a shame to be skipped!!!

If a neighbour I would inform them of the site (may even save them space in skip or to downsize)

But not up for knocking on strangers doors yet.

Need more Community spirit in the real world as certainly plenty of it here in the Cyber World!!

so continue spreading the good news!

cheddarlane
08-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Yes,

2 years ago there was a skip round the corner from me and the people moved away (rented) and the owners were selling it and gutted the place.

I saw a lovely garden bench on top and not a thing wrong with it!!

I rang the door first rather than just taking it.
The lady was so snooty and her neighbours were also looking at me in disgust on me pulling it out!

I sit on the bench all the time now the weather is lovely.

But this really put me off!!

(people would be staring at you having a look), so just drive by thinking off what treasures could be in there, and the poor dumping sites, getting more rubbish!!

misstake
10-05-2008, 09:58 AM
There seems to be the same problem in Sligo nobody wants to go to the bother of passing things on But im busy passing the word on here maby soon you will see stuff from Sligo wow cant wait

Chris P
10-05-2008, 10:10 AM
There seems to be the same problem in Sligo nobody wants to go to the bother of passing things on But im busy passing the word on here maby soon you will see stuff from Sligo wow cant wait
Hi misstake,

We ran ads on Ocean FM (Sligo, Leitrim, Donegal) in late March/early April but they seem to have had little effect -- membership from these counties still remains very low. This could be for a number of reasons -- demographics etc. We'll continue our work in promoting JumbleTown as best we can.

Thanks for helping to spread the word about JumbleTown.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

misstake
10-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Yes i heard those adds on the radio And im hoping to get The sligo post a free newspaper to do a piece very soon That way someone might get the idea of what the site is about But i think more people around here are looking at the site because ive been told Thank you for doing a great job And the idea is brilliant
Good luck
Bernie in Sligo

Chris P
10-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Yes i heard those adds on the radio And im hoping to get The sligo post a free newspaper to do a piece very soon That way someone might get the idea of what the site is about But i think more people around here are looking at the site because ive been told Thank you for doing a great job And the idea is brilliant
Good luck
Bernie in Sligo
Thanks for the feedback and support, misstake.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

unapam
10-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Hi, I think it is such a waste to see useful items in skips...and skips are not cheap to hire. When are the county councils going to start the German idea of nominating a Jumble Day for people to put these items out in front of their houses for everyone else to choose from. It works great and almost everything gets a new home. People love it and their is a party atmosphere as everyone goes around the neighbourhood "shopping"

I have raided many a skip in my day. But here is a cautionary tale about it...While raiding a local skip one evening I was delighted to come home with a treasure but then could not find my mobile phone. I had a bad feeling it has slipped out of my pocket and into said skip. So - says I to my long suffering husband "We'll take the dogs for a walk and when we are near the skip you ring my number"

Well, of course it worked fine as I could hear a cheerfull tune coming from the skip that had swallowed my phone. I was running around it looking for light from phone and managed to spot it right at the bottom of skip.

So I had to climb half in and poor hubby is holding on to me by the knees and the dogs started barking and out comes the house owners and worst of all -we knew them! We all had a good laugh and I got my phone back but now if I even cast a sidelong glance at a skip hubby locks the childproof doors and growls..."DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!"

HappyHunter
10-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Hi, I was in Toronto a few years ago for a holiday during my stay I experienced the areas jumble day. Everyone in the community cleared out their unwanted items from their garages and sheds, placed them on the grass verges and for the next 24 hours, even through the night, people went from grass verge to grass verge collecting items that were useful to them. The following day the council trucks came around and collected what was left.

Only yesterday I was rooting in the skip in the local hardware store yard and found an ideal wood structure that will make a great feeding table for the birds. I also found a piece of wood that will replace a chewed seat rung on my garden bench.

unapam you should write a book, you have us in stitches reading your post :)

cheddarlane
10-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Soooo Funny!!

I Could Kick My Self Earlier Today!

I Drove By A Skip At Bottom Of My Road On Way To Shops, Noticed A Beautiful Garden Sculpture. (a Lady Holding Flowers)

Thought I Would Have A Better Look When I Got Back From Shops

Came Back Less Than 30mins Later And It Was Gone.

Booo Hoo.

Someone Else Had The Same Idea!!

unapam
10-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Dear Happyhunter,

The Canadians are great recyclers and have a great time doing the regular neighbourhood trawl.
I'm delighted you found a piece of wood to fix...and I quote "..a chewed rung on my garden bench"

ah, sufferin' heart! Stop chewing yer' garden furniture or you'll get splinters in your bum and gum!...love Unapam

HappyHunter
10-05-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm delighted you found a piece of wood to fix...and I quote "..a chewed rung on my garden bench"

ah, sufferin' heart! Stop chewing yer' garden furniture or you'll get splinters in your bum and gum!...love Unapam

Ahemmm (grin), twas not me who chewed it, twas something with four legs or maybe it was 3 things with 4 legs each.

:)

angie1
10-05-2008, 10:14 PM
hi all thank god there is more like me out there!!!!!!!never be ashamed to go skip surfing and if you see somthing you like take it without thinking because it will be gone or worse the skip will be gone when you go back........if the dumpers wanted it they wouldnt throw it out in the first place..getting back to pass it on where are all the cork people ???????????im after telling everyone i know about this site and no one ive told has jioned up yet!!!!!!!Why i dont know its fab i love it addicted maybe.But well worth it keep up the good work people and C'MON D REBELS jion up ITS FREE>>>>>>kind regards to all angie1

mum2tld
10-05-2008, 10:44 PM
my sister lives in london and so far out of skips or just outside peoples houses she's gotten a flat screen tv, an xbox and2 childrens bikes all of which could of been given to charity shops or someone who might of needed them before just been chucked out, but then my sister benefits from it so its good
i've told a few people about this site but so far none have joined up

HappyHunter
10-05-2008, 11:09 PM
I've told lots of people about JT, am not sure if the've all joined yet because they are prob using pseudo names. I printed the JT poster and got the village shops to display them. Hello to anyone who knows me (wave).

Kathy
HappyHunter

Linn
10-05-2008, 11:23 PM
I have a confession to make. I am also a dumpster diver. If my kids are with me they do be morified. If i like it i'll get it.
Ive also told everyone i know about jumbletown. I tell strangers, people on the bus basically anyone who will listen. I know lots who have joined after i told them and i also know one or two who are like myself addicted, maybe they live on my road who knows.
Unapam your skip story made me laugh and i think its hilarious.

mum2tld
11-05-2008, 03:36 PM
i'll be posting this poster up at my parent and toddler group

Chris P
11-05-2008, 03:49 PM
i'll be posting this poster up at my parent and toddler group
Many thanks for helping to spread the word, JumbleTowners!

A4-sized JumbleTown Posters can be downloaded here:
http://www.jumbletown.ie/posters.htm

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Philomena6196
11-05-2008, 10:17 PM
I bought a rabbit and decided he needed a friend so i bought what i was told was another male. Turned out it was a female but i could not afford another hutch to seperate them so the girl in the pet shop told me about here!! Had never heard of it before!

Thats my story :-)

biker chick
01-06-2008, 06:17 PM
I heard about this site on Corks 96fm radio station & logged on in sept 2006 & have never logged out,ive gotten many a fab item & in return have & will continue to give as much as i can,its unbelieveable what people throw out & in this day & age where everything is so expensive wether you have a family or not its a shame,i appreciate all the work behind the scenes of the jumbletown site "YE ALL HAVE MADE MY CHILDREN & I VERY VERY HAPPY"with all the hard work keeping this site up & running,well done,best wishes,sisterevelyn

carissa
11-06-2008, 08:39 PM
hi unapam, thanks for cheering me up, i had such a laugh picturing you retrieving your fone,

I think it is such a waste to see useful items in skips...and skips are not cheap to hire. When are the county councils going to start the German idea of nominating a Jumble Day for people to put these items out in front of their houses for everyone else to choose from. It works great and almost everything gets a new home. People love it and their is a party atmosphere as everyone goes around the neighbourhood "shopping"

I have raided many a skip in my day. But here is a cautionary tale about it...While raiding a local skip one evening I was delighted to come home with a treasure but then could not find my mobile phone. I had a bad feeling it has slipped out of my pocket and into said skip. So - says I to my long suffering husband "We'll take the dogs for a walk and when we are near the skip you ring my number"

Well, of course it worked fine as I could hear a cheerfull tune coming from the skip that had swallowed my phone. I was running around it looking for light from phone and managed to spot it right at the bottom of skip.

So I had to climb half in and poor hubby is holding on to me by the knees and the dogs started barking and out comes the house owners and worst of all -we knew them! We all had a good laugh and I got my phone back but now if I even cast a sidelong glance at a skip hubby locks the childproof doors and growls..."DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!"

zyxel
16-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Hi there, I am new today! this is FAB.. I was told yesterday, and joined today, and now I am telling my brother who just bought a new apartment in Gasworks. He has stuff to get rid of before the move and some to acquire. Pure brill...

I am just getting the hang of the site, but I am in danger of posting everything in the house just to experience how it works in real life ! heheh

Kindest regards

Z

misstake
16-07-2008, 11:37 AM
hope you have a great time on here and welcome to jumbletown

Mickey
16-07-2008, 12:49 PM
I remember reading about JT a few years ago - it was given a small mention along with a few other options for re- and free- and life-cycling to minimise our impact on the environment.

Never gave it a thought until a friend was desperately looking for something so thought I'd check it out for her.

Have not looked back in regret once since then (well, maybe the once then) but have SO enjoyed the community and reading the banter and the advice, it is all really helpful, inciteful, creative and many times side-splitting :o).

Also a bit shy of asking for stuff from skips but we got a lovely rustic looking kitchen dresser and matching shelving unit out of our neighbour's skip and am so glad, it looks great and holds MUCH. My hubby has no such qualms (even though he is always giving out when I ask him to collect something from a JTer for me). He is constantly skip diving for bikes and bits of bikes.

I tell anyone and everyone. Everytime I think to print a poster though I am down to my last dribbles of ink :o(

While I'm thinking of it (and while the ink is fresh) I will print a cople of posters and put them up in a couple of shops here in Wicklow. (Have not seen one here yet, so I should really get off the duff and do something about it - RIGHT NOW!)

Off to the shops.

Great job Chris P ('Who's Crispy?' I hear my husband ask) and Dave with running the site.

Mickey
19-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Posters Posted :o) Let the giving begin - again :o)

Chris P
19-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Posters Posted :o) Let the giving begin - again :o)
Many thanks for putting up the JumbleTown posters, Mickey!

If anyone else is interested in helping to spread the word about JumbleTown, they can download A4 posters...here:

mrsl
20-07-2008, 10:51 AM
I'm a member of another forum that promotes itself by handing out business cards whenever they are at an event/show etc.

The members are usually identified by what they are wearing (or even their enthusiasm sometimes!) and when anyone shows an interest they give them a small business card with the web address of the forum on it. There are always lots of new members after the event.

Potential members go home with the web address in their pockets instead of having to find a pen to write down the address or remember it.

Perhaps JT members could hand out their own business card?

Something like this maybe? I have it done out as a sheet of business cards if anyone is interested.

Chris P
20-07-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm a member of another forum that promotes itself by handing out business cards whenever they are at a event/show etc.

The members are usually identified by what they are wearing (or even their enthusiasm sometimes!) and when anyone shows an interest they give them a small business card with the web address of the forum on it. There are always lots of new members after the event.

Potential members go home with the web address in their pockets instead of having to find a pen to write down the address or remember it.

Perhaps JT members could hand out thier own business card?

Something like this maybe? I have it done out as a sheet of business cards if anyone is interested.
Good idea, mrsl. I'll put it to the managers of JumbleTown and see what they think.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Andy94
09-08-2008, 08:45 PM
recycle

bluecurlygirl
12-10-2008, 11:56 PM
The beginning of June this year myself & himself were driving round in his work van looking to buy a wee run around for me to learn in. We pulled up at a garage and right beside where we had pulled up there was an overflowing skip. Went to the garage with the skip on my mind! Didn't get a car there but my 3 year old daughter got a motorbike!!! The other half was disgusted at me hauling this bike out of the skip but I didn't care. Someone passing by stopped and watched me and I just said "it's a disgrace what some people will throw out". I have no shame about doing things like that. There was a kennel there too just missing a door but we already had one (we had bought one 2nd hand) and a wendy house but I couldn't get at that - too short! And himself refused to assist. Mind you he was sorry after cos I bent his ear so much over it. Could've been a wonderful christmas present.

paprika
30-01-2009, 05:36 PM
True, skip diving is a really usefull... and so interesting!! I remember, when I was young(er) we had the great Spring Clean-out Day. You could dump all your not domestic rubbish on the pavement in front of the house and the city bin company collected it. No skips, just in a big heap. And that's in the city, in front of huge block of flats! Oh, the pickings... I loved it, you could get all sort of things, old furniture, books, baskets, antique bits and pieces... I alwys picked up loads of things and gave them good use afterwards. And my mum was just the same ;)

The other day I've passed a skip in Galway. It was full of good condition pine plank pieces. Stuffed as much as I could into the car. The result: a spice rack (still have to screw it together though...) and firewood for aweek :)

cheddarlane
30-01-2009, 07:32 PM
They should do it here!!

Especially now with 1. Trying to save the Enviromnent
and 2. the Big Recession!!

People waste too much!! I bring every little thing I find into the local charity shop!!

people just chuck stuff and never think how someone would love it, just the same way they once did when they *bought it!!*

But I can't say I have had great feedback if I have been seen looking in skip.. only did it a few times .. last time I got a cool box full of gorgeous expensive art brushes and paints and dyes.. some had the prices on.. 12e for one tiny paint brush that you would hardy even use for an eye shadow brush it was that small!!

I used the art things a few times as used to do an art course.. trying to find the time now!

also got a brand new m&s bathroom rug.. it is lovely, and just my style.. Pink!!

I am currently moving and rather than getting a skip, I am adding things on here, going to local vincent de paul and oxfam and giving to friends who need it.

It is a great feeling too and also declutters..

bet you could make it a hobby looking in all the skips you drive past.. although the ones I have past lately, have been in the rain and covered in rubble!!

Summer maybe!! haha

Moeby
11-03-2009, 10:29 PM
I know where I live people would look down their noses if they saw you looking in a skip and believe you me I have seen skips and cannot believe what is being dumped but I would be too embarrassed to go to it. I did get a locker from a skip beside our local GAA centre after an auction. (I intend to revamp it and will post before and after photos later. I do my utmost to promote jumbletown and bend everyone's ear about it, but so far I do not recognise anyone locally.

I have to admit I did see the poster "Jumbletown needs You", somewhere (maybe Colmsmum had posted it locally), but I didn't pass much remarks on it. In fact I didn't really know what it was about. Maybe some of the graphic boffs on this site could come up with something that would be catchy and informative (Sorry to whoever designed first poster), but sometimes there are so many posters and ads in local shops that they can go unnoticed.

MAYBE AS JUMBLETOWNERS WE SHOULD JUST BRAVE IT AND APPROACH THE SKIPPERS AND LET THEM KNOW ABOUT JUMBLETOWN, SAVE THEM AND US A FORTUNE.

Kind regards.

brummiegirl
01-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Hi
In response to Admin regarding the advert on Ocean FM etc to attract more people from the west, I know myself I saw this site a few times before I decided to join because of living so far west...I guess I thought that as a lot of people on here appear to be from the east or south of ireland that they would not be willing to travel to collect stuff....how wrong was I!! I am waiting for ink for my printer but hopefully will get posters printed up soon and distributed locally - as much for my own benefit as for JT itself lol!
great work everyone!

Chris P
01-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Hi
In response to Admin regarding the advert on Ocean FM etc to attract more people from the west, I know myself I saw this site a few times before I decided to join because of living so far west...I guess I thought that as a lot of people on here appear to be from the east or south of ireland that they would not be willing to travel to collect stuff....how wrong was I!! I am waiting for ink for my printer but hopefully will get posters printed up soon and distributed locally - as much for my own benefit as for JT itself lol!
great work everyone!
Hi brummiegirl,

Jumbletowners are still few and far between in the West, but we know there are more out there, given the right promotion.

Galway is the only county in the West we'll be running ads this year, thanks to some funding from the County Council under the Local Agenda 21 Scheme.

We know that we still have a lot of work to do to spread the life-cycling message and realise that JumbleTowners themselves are the main means of promoting the site, so every poster helps.

Many thanks for helping to promote JumbleTown, brummiegirl!

Regards
Chris P
Admin

AL17071974
01-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback and support, misstake.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

just thinking i'm a member of fingal greens...i'll pass on the message i'm sure there is loads of happy recylers to be found.

Chris P
01-09-2009, 04:21 PM
just thinking i'm a member of fingal greens...i'll pass on the message i'm sure there is loads of happy recylers to be found.
Hi AL17071974,

Many thanks for helping to spread the news about JumbleTown!

Regards
Chris P
Admin

tasmin
03-09-2009, 04:56 PM
hi linda,
i know what you mean, i am forever tut tuting whenever i see skips full of things other people could use.
and i am forever telling people about JT, even stranges if i see them packing their skip....you would be surprised how many dont know about this site and are grateful to know about it, because most people dont like throwing out stuff that someone else could use.

my friend thinks i'm nuts, well at least she did until i got a beautful hall table and overmantal mirror, now she says" check out JT and see whats going" me thinks shes becoming addicted :-)

so i'm all for spreading the word about JT.
its a great site!

Tas

Tell everyone and anyone about this site!!
I have invited new residents this week, and do so most weeks.

But I am so sad to see some people who haven't heard of the site and often due to no internet access!

I was driving though Lucan yesterday and saw 5 skips in one street alone!!
Loads of furniture and toys etc pilled up. Such a shame to be skipped!!!

If a neighbour I would inform them of the site (may even save them space in skip or to downsize)

But not up for knocking on strangers doors yet.

Need more Community spirit in the real world as certainly plenty of it here in the Cyber World!!

so continue spreading the good news!

Chris P
03-09-2009, 05:40 PM
hi linda,
i know what you mean, i am forever tut tuting whenever i see skips full of things other people could use.
and i am forever telling people about JT, even stranges if i see them packing their skip....you would be surprised how many dont know about this site and are grateful to know about it, because most people dont like throwing out stuff that someone else could use.

my friend thinks i'm nuts, well at least she did until i got a beautful hall table and overmantal mirror, now she says" check out JT and see whats going" me thinks shes becoming addicted :-)

so i'm all for spreading the word about JT.
its a great site!

Tas
Nice one, Tasmin! We still have a lot to do in terms of spreading the word about JumbleTown. We really only advertise for a two/three week period in April/May on local radio stations and in the regional media, and our good friends at Prudence magazine also carry a few of our ads. So, word-of-mouth advertising helps us enormously. Thanks!

Regards
Chris P
Admin

SLCB
05-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Hi, I just found the posts with the posters, I'm printing some out to put up around Limerick because I don't see to many from the area using the site, I moved here just over a year ago from Kildare and wish I'd known about the site before I moved because there seems to be much more users in the Leinster area. Anyway I'll stick up the posters in the local (rural) area and in the recycling depot in the city and hopefully it'll encourage new members.

Chris P
05-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Hi, I just found the posts with the posters, I'm printing some out to put up around Limerick because I don't see to many from the area using the site, I moved here just over a year ago from Kildare and wish I'd known about the site before I moved because there seems to be much more users in the Leinster area. Anyway I'll stick up the posters in the local (rural) area and in the recycling depot in the city and hopefully it'll encourage new members.
Many thanks for that, SLCB!

And just in case anyone missed it, here's the link for downloading an
A4-sized JumbleTown poster:

Regards
Chris P
Admin