PDA

View Full Version : donators

marie065
19-05-2008, 09:44 AM
hi chris
i've seen this on other sites where members (those who want to) donate to the admin of the site to help with the cost of setting up and running the site. it could only be 1-5 euros a year . and there status (member) changes to donator. i've seen this on a few sites and it was just a thought as you do a great job of this site and i'm sure i'm not the only that thinks this.

what does any one else think about this ???

all the best marie065

Chris P
19-05-2008, 04:05 PM
hi chris
i've seen this on other sites where members (those who want to) donate to the admin of the site to help with the cost of setting up and running the site. it could only be 1-5 euros a year . and there status (member) changes to donator. i've seen this on a few sites and it was just a thought as you do a great job of this site and i'm sure i'm not the only that thinks this.

all the best marie065
Hi marie065,

When JumbleTown was set up in April 2006, it was deliberately designed to be a free service in order to encourage greater public use. (The developers of the site had been sitting on the idea since 2003 but decided to go "live" in 2006 when an OECD report stated that Ireland produced more waste per capita than any other developed nation, including America.)

JumbleTown's web-hosting costs are just about covered by the Google ads that are fed onto the site.

Fifteen of the 34 or so local authorities around the country recognise the environmental/community service that the site provides and have kindly given us some money for advertising/marketing (not for labour). This money comes from the Local Agenda 21 Scheme. For the record, the local authorities that are supporting JumbleTown in 2007/2008 are:

a. Kildare County Council
b. Kilkenny County Council
c. Clare County Council
d. Limerick City Council
e. Limerick County Council
f. Cork County Council
g. Offaly County Council
h. Louth County Council
i. South Tipperary County Council
j. Longford County Council
k. Galway City Council
l. Galway County Council
m. Meath County Council
l. Wexford County Council
m. Sligo Borough Council

We've been in touch with central government (the Dept of the Environment) enquiring about a public-private partnership to help develop the site (after all, we do offer a public service, and one that is not offered by all local authorities), but we've been told that public-private partnerships are only for "big" projects such as water-treatment plants and...eh..ahem!...incinerators. We're currently investigating sources of funding outside Ireland but EU bureaucracy is mind-blowing...

I think charging people for the service is a non-runner; it hasn't happened up to now and I'm pretty certain that it will remain so. However, allowing donations may be another matter. I'll put your suggestion to the managers of JumbleTown.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

marie065
19-05-2008, 04:27 PM
thanks chris p
i for one wouldn't mind donating every year, like i said its a great site and ye do a great job
thanks marie065

The Mammy
19-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Hi There
I agree with Marie065, This is a fantastic site and I would not mind donating a few bob towards the service..
Perhaps Chris p and Admin could provide the email addresses of the OTHER local authorities (those that have not Recognised the site and the service it provides) and we could all write to them and request funding?

You do a great service and deserve to be funded by all local authorities.
Regards
Madeleine (The Mammy)

Chris P
20-05-2008, 12:08 AM
Hi There
I agree with Marie065, This is a fantastic site and I would not mind donating a few bob towards the service..
Perhaps Chris p and Admin could provide the email addresses of the OTHER local authorities (those that have not Recognised the site and the service it provides) and we could all write to them and request funding?

You do a great service and deserve to be funded by all local authorities.
Regards
Madeleine (The Mammy)
Thanks for your support, Mammy. We'll be applying to all of the Local Authorities for more Local Agenda 21 funding next month. The total fund itself is relatively small and Local Authorities have to support many other worthwhile local environmental projects.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

IRISH_iiiis
20-05-2008, 05:55 AM
i agree with you,
local authorities fund a number of worth while local projects, haven said that isnt one of there biggest concerns waste & the impact it has on the enviroment,
therefore they should not have a problem funding this site or even advertising it on there own web site or a sticker on there van which wouldnt cost a great deal..
if you are granted planning permission the local county council charge you a fee for developement & improvement of roads & other services... with your service are you not helping the county councils by
1. reducing the amount of waste at land fill sites..
2. reducing the amount of items that are dumped on the side of roads & in entrance ways etc.
3. reducing the amount of man hours, vehicle costs, cleaning products, administration costs

speaking of stickers on vans would JT not consider this option as a cheap and simple means of advertising the service im sure any JT user would be happy to apply a sticker to there car/van window.... i know i would..

anyone agree????? answers on a post card please lol

lancomegirl
20-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Wonderful Idea
I'm in agreement with all of the above, I can't even imagine how much it would have cost me to get rid of all the furniture ect i have given away on this site, I would certainly be very happy to donate towards the running and on going development of jt.

erica
21-05-2008, 10:30 PM
I think the car stickers are a great idea. Also, a link from all of the local authority websites would be brilliant! Other agencies might also be willing to promote, like the Environmental Protection Agency, Citizens Information, Money Advice and Budgeting Service, FAS, (cannot think of any more but I'm sure there are plenty of agencies with a special interest in the environment). Could JT trade mutual ads with other companies, in lieu of payment? For instance, a company that supplies wormeries, like www.wormery.ie or companies that make their living from recycling.....

Are there no lottery funds or dormant account funds available to JT??

If the government can spend taxpayers money on a booklet telling us what to do in an emergency..... lol, (Where will those booklets be when we need them? I know mine is already gone for recycling! ) Surely they can do more for a well worthwhile venture like Jumbletown!

unapam
24-05-2008, 12:28 AM
I couldn't agree more with all the above comments. A wonderful site, an inovative idea, a NECESSARY idea whose time has come.

The waste I see around me is a SIN! When will "the powers that be" catch up with you? Why aren't you getting grants and funding? Do we REALLY have the Greens in power????

I would gladly put my money where my mouth is! Just let me know how to go about it. I'd gladly give a bit of "payback" for all the treasure I have gotten from this site! I have furnished a whole house with stuff that would have been dumped and I passed on several skips worth of useful (just not to me) stuff.

My cottage didn't start as one, but has become a "recycling project" and immensely satisfying as it is beautiful and has a near zero carbon footprint.

A heartfelt THANK YOU!... to the Jumbletown team....
So, just let me know...what can WE do for you?

Unapam

lislaw
24-05-2008, 09:05 AM
hi chris

all the best marie065

Great idea, I wouldn't mind donating a few quids. I don't think I'd be happy though if it affected how your status appeared on the site. Not everyone is in a position to donate. Givers might feel they have to give preference to donators, and new members may feel under pressure to donate. It could in fact put some people off who may only access this site to Give on a once off basis, if they get the impression that they have to also donate.

As for the Green Party, Unapam, I think you're on the right track, so I've emailed them a link to Jumbletown and to this thread in particular.

Lisa

marie065
24-05-2008, 11:44 AM
i see your point lislaw.
its just the way it was done on the other sites i've seen.
of course nobody would have to donate and this would be stated.

and thank ye all for your replys and thoughts on this hopefully they will go ahead with the idea
best regards
marie065

IRISH_iiiis
25-05-2008, 06:40 AM
alll very good ideas above,
if people want to donate im sure it could be done secretly & therefore no one would know who gave what.......

i also wouldnt have a problem making a donation to this site

eriberi
25-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Hi All.

I really like the idea of the Car Sticker. I personally would happily donate by purchasing car stickers and then spread the word further by handing them around in my town.

Perhaps admin could create a link to enable people to buy car stickers from JT online or ask ALL the county Council s to support JT by buying a load of them for their town.

I have been involved in the production of Car Stickers for a Campaign before; and the most costly bit was design. I don't think admin would have a problem in that area;) !! It really is something viable to think about in terms of donating to JT while at the same time, telling more people about this great service!!!

eriberi.

Chris P
03-06-2008, 12:42 AM
Hi Everyone,

I've spoken to the managers/developers of JumbleTown and after careful consideration they have decided not to look for donations from Members to fund the service. Instead, they have opted to continue to look for funding from local and central government, and from EU sources. At present, JumbleTown receives some "Local Agenda 21" funding (for marketing purposes only) from 15 of the 34 local authorities in the Republic of Ireland.

Many thanks to marie065 for making the suggestion of allowing donations in the first place.

We also intend to look into the other promotional ideas suggested by other Members on this thread (e.g. using stickers etc.).

Many thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Regards
Chris P
Admin