PDA

View Full Version : Posts Missing

Mickey
05-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Hi,

I posted 2 Wanted ads yesterday. I received a reply notification (which I clicked on and read). When I went back to the Wanted section to reply to the sender I could not find either of my posts anywhere. They are just GONE! Please let me know what has happened and how can this be prevented.

Also, is there any way (other than opening each individual post) to mark them as read? I like to check if there are new posts but don't necessarily want to have to go into each one to clear the list.....

Just a thought anyway :)

Thanks

Mickey

Dave Hagan
05-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Hi Mickey,

To deal with your first question, are these not your Ads?

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=25108
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=25107

Ads can move down the list quickly in the Wanted section so it may be necessary to search more than the first page of Ads.

Regards
Dave Hagan
Admin

Mickey
05-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Hi,

Thanks for that. I searched all 51 pages at the time and they were NOwhere. I did afew more checks and about a half hour ago I found them. So sorry to bother you.

Chris P
05-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Hi,

Thanks for that. I searched all 51 pages at the time and they were NOwhere. I did afew more checks and about a half hour ago I found them. So sorry to bother you.
Hi Mickey,

To save time, use the Search function in the Wanted forum. Please see here for instructions:

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=4000

Regards
Chris P
Admin

karlolex
05-06-2008, 01:40 PM
hi mickey was it the heinz toyota posts?
if you click on your user name it gives you a choice to veiw public profile sent pm etc etc. you choose veiw public profile then choose veiw threads started by mickey. your posts will be there saves you looking through the wanted section for them (im sure chris has a better way of doing this but this way works for me)

Chris P
05-06-2008, 01:46 PM
hi mickey was it the heinz toyota posts?
if you click on your user name it gives you a choice to view public profile sent pm etc etc. you choose veiw public profile then choose view threads started by mickey. your posts will be there saves you looking through the wanted section for them (im sure chris has a better way of doing this but this way works for me)
Exactly, karlokennedy -- that's a quick way to view ALL your posts. If you only want to see your Wanted ads, then use the method I outlined above.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

erica
05-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Hi,

Also, is there any way (other than opening each individual post) to mark them as read? I like to check if there are new posts but don't necessarily want to have to go into each one to clear the list.....

Just a thought anyway :)

Thanks

Mickey

On the right if you click on "Forum Tools", then "Mark this Forum Read" you can mark all posts read....

Mickey
05-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks for all the pointers. I guess I just scan things over to see for what I need and if the PC doesn't work as fast as the brain then I am on to the next thing to see if that works.

I guess my mother was right - If all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

I promise from now on I will try everything else AFTER I read the instructions.

Blessings

Mickey

erica
05-06-2008, 05:11 PM
All posts to which you have contributed show a blue tick on the far right , this makes it easier to scroll through the pages on the wanted section, ....

colmsmum
05-06-2008, 09:17 PM
The same thing happened to me last weekend. I was looking for a particular post in the wanted section & i couldn't find it anywhere, i even used the search button but the post was gone so i just thought it was deleted but lo & behold about 2 days later i found it again, weird or what? I'm glad it's not just me, i was starting to get a bit worried there!

Chris P
05-06-2008, 09:23 PM
The same thing happened to me last weekend. I was looking for a particular post in the wanted section & i couldn't find it anywhere, i even used the search button but the post was gone so i just thought it was deleted but lo & behold about 2 days later i found it again, weird or what? I'm glad it's not just me, i was starting to get a bit worried there!
Hi colmsmum,

Gremlins in the Wanted Forum? I'll get the techies to check it out.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

colmsmum
05-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks Chris, on the ball as usual.

Best regards,
colmsmum.

nono
15-06-2008, 12:47 AM
Guess the gremlins must be active in more than the wanted section. Answered ad last week for chair lift. Tonight I have gone through every ad in every section ( including using the specific search) and cant find the ad anywhere. Its now 1.45am and I've spent since about 20 past 12 looking through every ad in every forum and its definately nowhere to be found at this time, hopefully it will turn up.

Chris P
15-06-2008, 12:49 AM
Guess the gremlins must be active in more than the wanted section. Answered ad last week for chair lift. Tonight I have gone through every ad in every section ( including using the specific search) and cant find the ad anywhere. Its now 1.45am and I've spent since about 20 past 12 looking through every ad in every forum and its definately nowhere to be found at this time, hopefully it will turn up.
Hi nono,

This ad was archived a while back.

Givers are expected to respond to expressions of interest from potential Takers within 3 days.

Archived ads can be retrieved from the Archive on request from the Giver.

If an ad goes "missing" from the Public Forum, Members should presume that the item has been Taken and archived, or simply archived because of no response within 3 days in the case of Available items or no update within 6 days in the case of Reserved items.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

nono
16-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the reply Chris but I've seen ads where the item has been 'taken' for quite awhile and its still live for quite a long time. Another question, if you reply on public forum and then send PM's and receive PM's back, does that qualify as activity on the ad. As I said I'm relatively new to this and dont understand all the ins and outs of the site,

Thanks again,

Nono

JulesInKy
17-06-2008, 10:05 AM
I've been a lurker on JT for a while now, but recently saw a couple of items that took my interest. One of them was for a wooden bench with candle holders on it. I posted a reply to the thread and even received email notice in gmail for activity on the thread. Clicked link in email to read new post and it's gone. All I get is a message that I do not have permission to access the page.

I can understand that some ads be be withdrawn or removed for various reasons, but surely there is a way to notify thread subscribers if this is the situation?

thanks for a great site.

Jules.

Chris P
17-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the reply Chris but I've seen ads where the item has been 'taken' for quite awhile and its still live for quite a long time. Another question, if you reply on public forum and then send PM's and receive PM's back, does that qualify as activity on the ad. As I said I'm relatively new to this and dont understand all the ins and outs of the site,

Thanks again,

Nono

Thanks for the reply Chris but I've seen ads where the item has been 'taken' for quite awhile and its still live for quite a long time.
First of all, it is a Member's responsibility to update his/her ads; it is Admin's role to update only when the Member forgets or is unable because they are unfamiliar with the site or their responsibilities.

At the moment, Taken ads are manually "pruned" from the top of the listings by Admin; therefore, it is not humanly possible to have all of these ads archived when they should be but we get round to them eventually.

Another question, if you reply on public forum and then send PM's and receive PM's back, does that qualify as activity on the ad.
PMs and public posts on an ad/thread constitute "activity." PMs, however, are not added to a Member's "Number of Posts." Most Givers accept PMs and public posts as requests; some Members, however, ask potential Takers only to post on the Public Forum.

As I said I'm relatively new to this and dont understand all the ins and outs of the site.
The "User Tips" post at the top of each of the Givers' forums should prove helpful. Also, make sure to check out the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) section, the button for which can be found on the blue bar beneath the log-in area.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Chris P
17-06-2008, 01:56 PM
I can understand that some ads be be withdrawn or removed for various reasons, but surely there is a way to notify thread subscribers if this is the situation?
Hi JulesInKY,

Your question is really for the Techies in the office but I'm pretty sure that what you suggest is possible. I don't think the Managers/Developers of the site have any plans to add this feature to JumbleTown. As a general rule, if a Member can't access an ad, he/she should assume that the item has been Taken or else archived by Admin because of no updates from the Giver. Archived ads can be retrieved on request from the Giver.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

nono
17-06-2008, 11:16 PM
OK Chris, thanks for all the feedback, I'm beginning to get the drift

Sincerely,

Nono

Chris P
17-06-2008, 11:22 PM
OK Chris, thanks for all the feedback, I'm beginning to get the drift

Sincerely,

Nono
That's good to hear, Nono.

Admin recommends that Members spend some time browsing the site, clicking on buttons and links just to see what pops up.

Thanks for the feedback!

Regards
Chris P
Admn

nono
19-06-2008, 12:29 AM
Dont know whats happened. Got 2 notifications in my email about 'electric chimney'. When I opened the email and went to link, heading was vbulletin message which told me I was not allowed to access plus lots of other stuff which was more than a bit discouraging to say the least as I was only accessing the email which was sent to me by Jumble Ireland.

Hope the ever patient Chris can advise and explain.

Again thanks in advance Chris

Sincerely,

Nono

Chris P
19-06-2008, 06:39 AM
Dont know whats happened. Got 2 notifications in my email about 'electric chimney'. When I opened the email and went to link, heading was vbulletin message which told me I was not allowed to access plus lots of other stuff which was more than a bit discouraging to say the least as I was only accessing the email which was sent to me by Jumble Ireland.

Sincerely,

Nono
Hi Nono,

Three ads for the "Electric Chimney" were made on the forum. Multiple ads for the same item in different forums (Miscellaneous, Domestic Appliances etc) are not allowed as these ads/threads are difficult to manage for all concerned. So I removed two ads and left one in the Domestic appliances forum. All of the posts on the archived ads were along the lines of "What is an electric chimney?" and not "May I have this, please?" Once again, if a Member can't access an ad, he/she should presume that the item has been Taken and archived, or archived for no update, or archived for being irrelevant. All of this archiving is to keep the forum as up-to-date as possible. Members should rest assured that ads or posts do NOT disappear from the forum for no reason.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

nono
19-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the update Chris

nono
25-07-2008, 02:37 AM

Sincerely,

Nono

Hi again Chris,

Just realised the reply I got didn't really apply to the above 'quote'. What I cant understand is, when I get notifications in my email from JT and I access my email and go to the link specified by JT, they then inform me that basically I'm not allowed to be accessing something they sent me. Obviously I'm missing something along the way BUT I just don't know what ? Maybe someone somewhere out there in the wild blue yonder can advise me. HAS ANYONE ELSE GOT THESE vbulliten messages after accessing the emails sentto them by J.T. ????????

Chris P
25-07-2008, 06:11 AM
Hi again Chris,

Just realised the reply I got didn't really apply to the above 'quote'. What I cant understand is, when I get notifications in my email from JT and I access my email and go to the link specified by JT, they then inform me that basically I'm not allowed to be accessing something they sent me. Obviously I'm missing something along the way BUT I just don't know what ? Maybe someone somewhere out there in the wild blue yonder can advise me. HAS ANYONE ELSE GOT THESE vbulliten messages after accessing the emails sentto them by J.T. ????????
Hi Nono,

Next time this happens, send the link to Admin -- you seem to be referring to something that isn't covered by my explantion above and we really need to see the link(s) in question to clarify exactly what's going on.

My statement above is still relevant for most Members: if an ad can't be accessed, the Member should presume that the item has been Taken and archived, or archived for no update, or archived for being irrelevant.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

icecream
25-07-2008, 07:59 AM
I thinks its because Nono is not logged-in when the email takes him/her to the link, I've seen that 'access denied' type message when I wasn't logged-in!

mrsl
25-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Chris,

Is there no way then that 'takers' can access the archived or 'pruned' posts? Sometime a jt member might just want to get back intouch with another jt member and can't remember who they were but if they could access the post then they'd be able to make contact again.

I've had the problem of not finding posts again too. I do a search for something I know was available on jt and only find 2 or 3 posts and they are usually not the ones I was looking for.

Access to the archive might help. The teckkies must be saving them on a server somewhere so it wouldn't necessarily take up extra space.

Gmail allows you to archive your emails so they are out of your way but still accessible through a search.

Anyway, just an idea.
mrsl

Chris P
26-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Chris, Is there no way then that 'takers' can access the archived or 'pruned' posts? Sometime a jt member might just want to get back intouch with another jt member and can't remember who they were but if they could access the post then they'd be able to make contact again.l
Hi mrsl,

The managers of Jumbletown have no plans to give Members access to Admin's Archive, which contains over 16,000 ads. (This shouldn't be confused with the general Archive that gives a summary of the current ads on the forums and can be accessed by clicking the "Archive" button on the blue bar above the list of Local Authority links right at the bottom of the Home Page.)

Usually, Admin will only re-post archived ads on the Public Forum on request from the Giver. However, if a Taker wishes to send a "thank you" PM (and no other posts from the Giver are on the Public Forum), then Admin will repost the ad (temporarily) on the Public Forum to allow a PM to be sent.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Chris P
26-07-2008, 09:09 AM
I thinks its because Nono is not logged-in when the email takes him/her to the link, I've seen that 'access denied' type message when I wasn't logged-in!
You could be right, icecream, but Admin won't know for certain till we receive the links in question.

Members should also be aware of the "Timing-out of a session" aspect of the site. When Members log on, they should tick the "Remember Me" box (beside the log-in box) but only if they are using a home/private computer. Ticking this box prevents the system automatically logging them off if it detects that they haven't browsed the site's pages for 15 minutes or so.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

giggs
26-07-2008, 05:02 PM
having read this thread this morning now i have been a victim of the disappearing posts!!! maybe as a result of airing my annoyance at the result of a "name pulling from a hat" for someone to be pulled from a hat they were never in!! i suppose this post will go missing too

Chris P
26-07-2008, 05:34 PM
having read this thread this morning now i have been a victim of the disappearing posts!!! maybe as a result of airing my annoyance at the result of a "name pulling from a hat" for someone to be pulled from a hat they were never in!! i suppose this post will go missing too
Hi newgirl,

As I've stated on this thread several times before, apart from the occasional accidental deletion of ads by Admin (twice in two years in my case), ads DON'T go missing from the forums for no reason. If a Member can't access an ad, he/she should assume that the item has been Taken or else archived by Admin because of no updates from the Giver, or because the ad or post shouldn't have been posted in the first place.

The title of your post above alludes to a "Buggy" ad. This was archived around an hour ago as it had been marked as Taken by the Giver. It was also at the top of the forum and Admin endeavours to keep the top of the listings free of Taken items.

As for the eventual Taker's name not being "in the hat", a Member could have asked for their name to be put in the hat by way of PM.

Incidentally, Admin doesn't encourage "name in the hat"/raffle ads in general, as the the ads/threads become like strings of sausages and potential Takers may feel they are being strung along if the Giver allows it to run for more than 3 days. My comments here are not referring to any particular "name in the hat" ad, most of which are well-managed by the Giver, but still, Admin is not in favour of them. As it is, JumbleTown's rules state that the Giver is free to Give to the first, second or tenth respondent.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Chris P
26-07-2008, 05:39 PM
...disappearing posts!!! maybe as a result of airing my annoyance at the result of a "name pulling from a hat" for someone to be pulled from a hat they were never in!!
Hi newgirl,

If you have a problem with a Member, you should get in touch with Admin -- you should not post on the Public Forum. Our "Poster's Etiquette" post states:

"JumbleTown Admin would prefer if all disputes/problems of a personal nature between JumbleTowners were referred directly to us and NOT posted on the Public Forum. Settling disputes in private is far better than posting (flaming!) in public."

Please see here:
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=4673

Regards
Chris P
Admin

giggs
26-07-2008, 07:11 PM
i agree it is a great site if not a bit addictive and i have recieved many items which my children have been delighted with however in this case i do feel like i have been strung along to a degree as the giver in the case{which i was watching with interest} has been on line several times without updating thread but me being the nice sincere person that i am will have no sour grapes or bare grudges i will just be more aware in future and "not take it so seriously" so from now on its fun! fun! fun! on jumbletown