PDA

View Full Version : Best method for getting rid of old shoes?

Jen
20-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Hi,
I know leather takes a long time to break down, so I don't really like throwing out old shoes.

However, I've a bag full - those without holes - with some life in them, I can pass on. However, what about those whose soles have holes in them. Does anyone know if there a recommended way of getting rid of them?

Thanks,
Jen

BERTYBOY3311
20-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Some tyre outlets have their tures collected where they are shreaded and turned into filling for the base of new roads! I have approached my local tyre man and put old shoes into the tyres and these too are shreaded and turned into road filling!
I do admit though that I know him very well and if I didnt he might not be so willing to let me do that as he is charged for this service!

Hope this helps!
Kind Regards
Bertyboy3311

Chris P
20-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Hi,
I know leather takes a long time to break down, so I don't really like throwing out old shoes.

However, I've a bag full - those without holes - with some life in them, I can pass on. However, what about those whose soles have holes in them. Does anyone know if there a recommended way of getting rid of them?

Thanks,
Jen
Hi Jen,

The following recycling centres in Dublin accept non-reusable shoes:

Ballymount Recycling Centre
Dublin 12, Ballymount Lane Ballymount Industrial Estate

Ballyogan Recycling Park
Dublin 18, Ballyogan Rd, Carrickmines, D 18

Coolmine Recycling Centre
Dublin 15, Coolmine Industrial Estate

Estuary Recycling Centre
Swords, Seatown East, Swords, Co Dublin

Ringsend Recycling Centre
Dublin 4, Pigeon House Road, Dublin 4

Shamrock Terrace Recycling Centre
Dublin 3, North Strand Rd, Shamrock Tce, Dublin 3

Also, a similar query to your own appeared on the following site a while ago. Suggestions included nailing old shoes to a wall and using them for tool-storage!

http://www.recyclethis.co.uk/20060511/how-can-i-reuse-or-recycle-%E2%80%A6-old-shoes

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Jen
20-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Wow - super

Thanks both of you.

I'll get rid of them appropriately.

Thanks again,
Jen

Stuarty
20-08-2008, 05:06 PM
i dont recommend any shoe brand over another, but i know that when we shop in clarks, they have a bin there for old shoes for a charity (i'm not sure which charity). We use it mainly for kids shoes, its like the boxes of old eyeglasses that are given to charity from the opticians...

cathy
20-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Worn again do a range of shoes made out of recycled material.
cathy