PDA

View Full Version : Repurposed: Antique Tablecloth

unapam
05-09-2008, 09:37 PM
This is a gorgeous vintage tablecloth given to me by another Jumbletowner. Unfortunately it had many areas of wear, some holes and some rust marks. Not suitable for use as a tablecloth sooooo...It had to be repurposed of course.

This is the first item I made from it.
...Before we had fluffy terrycloth towels people used flat fabric towels called huckback, or linen or cotton towels. That is what I made ...a vintage guest towel. These look fabulous if draped over a modern fluffy towel in your guest bathroom. It adds a wonderful touch of shabby chic elegance to any bathroom. I just cut it to the size of a standard towel, hemmed all the edges and used some old lace from my stash to finish it off.

I cut from the parts that were in best conditon. I used the other areas to make vintage teatowels, and trimmed them with blue and yellow trim, for the cottage and I still have loads of fabric left...

UPDATE - So far this tablecloth has been transformed into: four guest towels, three teatowels, two nightdress cases, one needle case one cushion cover and several dusters!
Update: Here are the photos of the last items that this tablecloth yielded. Two travel lingerie cases and lining for a travel tissue pouch.
REDUCE - REUSE -RECYCLE & REPURPOSE!

Chris P
06-09-2008, 12:54 AM
As resourceful and creative as ever, unapam!

Thanks for sharing your handiwork and ideas.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Mbell
06-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Wonderful work. Has made me think about some lovely old pieces I have myself. Will have to start stitching as the evenings close in.

beldarin
07-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Love the towel idea, looks lovely, and yes, the evenings are closing in, hopefully I'll get through a few nice projects before we see the other side of what i reckon will be a looooonnnng winter, seeing as it's been autumn for the past 4 months already.

RockyD
01-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Unapam how do you come up with the ideas. I think you are wonderful

I collect pieces of material buttons ribbon tape beads all with great intentions and nothing happens. I have wonderful ideas for cot Bumpers, quilts etc but no time to follow it up. I did patchwork in a previous life ( when I had a life) now no time for anything.

Best wishes you are great.

Moeby
01-03-2009, 12:25 AM
Well done unapam, these are absolutely beautiful, where on earth do you find the time. I have loads of ideas, but just finding the time is almost impossible, but you are definately an inspiration. Kind regards

goodasnew
07-03-2009, 12:35 AM
unapam.... You should write a book!!!! You'd make a fortune - not to mention egg people on to get re-purposing!!!

Sinamo
11-03-2009, 08:41 PM
pam, u have a great imagination when it comes to repurposing items
fair play to ur creativity streak
as always ur ideas and creations are gorgus

unapam
11-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks to you all for the lovely comments. Much appreciated!