PDA

View Full Version : Borrowers' forum?

Bel
27-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Hi,

Was just thinking about the wraps, handbags etc. I have hanging around. You know the sort of thing you buy to wear to a wedding, don't use very often, but don't want to give away or throw out on the basis that you might need it again in the future?

Just wondering if anyone thinks it would be a good idea to have a 'borrow only' forum - save people splashing out for a 1 off but you would still get the item back?

Jemima
28-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Hi Bel
I think it would be too hard to manage as some people wouldnt return the items and to what extent would you have to go to get them back.

Sorry but thats the way it is these days.

Sure as you probably know there are some traders on here and its really unfair to think that they get to an item first when there are more deserving/needy people who miss out. I would say the idea of the site is not just to recyle perfectly good items but to feel like they are going to the right people (non-profit making).

But thats just me!

buffy
28-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Sure as you probably know there are some traders on here and its really unfair to think that they get to an item first when there are more deserving/needy people who miss out.

agree 100 percent Jemima I think its awful the way they can get so many suites of furniture beds,table=chairs and more than likely sell them on in the buy and sell etc, but its up to the givers who they give the items to and not anybody
else.Its unfortunate but thats the way it is.I thought I had it figured out by the amount of posts they had but they can I assume change their user names and start with low post counts.And then theres the pms rather than keeping it on the thread.

freebee23
29-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Hi All,

Point 1) Just a thought here but would it be possible for the person giving the item to post the name (ie.their Jumbletown name...NOT REAL NAME) of the receiver.
{Such as the lucky receipient of my item was "JUMBLETOWN NAME" hope they make great use of it.}
(Comments from admin welcome)
This might help other people who want to recycle their items, so they go to genuine needy people and not necessarly to the first person who responds to their post.
I am sure that it is not the responsibility of admin to monitor or check up on who receives the items but to all the people who make use of this service it might be of concern to them that all items that are being recycled are done so in a fair way.
----------------------------------------------------
Point2) Unsure how to make the process more transparent as mentioned in the previous thread regarding takers who might change their username and such. BUT here is 1 idea.
Putting my head on the block here...............BUT Maybe, just maybe, admin could track telephone numbers i.e. making home no / mobile no. a required field in the account activation field. AND if this number matches a number in their DB the account setup process could ensure that the new account fails to activate.
This could be used to track Jumbletown ID's( Maybe this contravenes privacy laws, but most sites out there ensure that a contact number is given) LOADS more work for ADMIN!!!! ADMIN PLEASE Dont banish me!!!
------------------------------------------

All comments welcome.

Regards,
Tom

Jemima
29-09-2006, 09:19 AM
Hi
I still think its too difficult to manage. Anyone can change their mobile, if they have managed to get a lot of stuff it would be worth their while. Yes a home phone number can be a requirement but if someone seemingly from Cork "borrows" something from Dublin or visa versa are we meant to travel to the "borrowers" home to try and recover this item . I know I wouldnt. Even if they were 2 roads away from me if they had decided not to answer my calls etc looking for the item I wouldnt be rushing around to get it incase it got nasty.

I know this would probably be an unusual occurance but it is always the minority that spoil things for the rest of the honest, good people.

freebee23
29-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Hi all,

Meant to start a new thread with my previous posting.
The suggestions that I made related to the process by which we give and receive on the site and not to the idea of borrowing.

Will start my new thread now.

Cheers,
Tom

Jemima
29-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Hi Tom
Yes I agree with your post where it related to the system of "Giving" and "Taking". It would be a good idea as the "Takers" name would be visible and ring a bell if it pops up enough times.

Chris P
29-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Hi Everyone,

Many thanks for your thoughtful comments so far in this thread. As I'm sure you all know, borrowing and lending (and buying, selling, swapping, and auctioning) are banned on JumbleTown. There are no plans to set up a borrowing/lending dimension to the website but I'd like to draw your attention to a post in "General Talk" that relates to an Irish borrowing/lending site. I know next to nothing about the scheme except that it appears to be in its infancy; you can view the post here:

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=1330

Regards
Chris P
(Admin)

Bel
02-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Oops Chris - I didn't realise borrowing and lending were banned on Jumbletown - sorry for kicking this off so. Anyway, suppose I hadn't given any thought to what if people didn't give back what they had borrowed.