PDA

View Full Version : Recycling old tights

Stuarty
15-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Just found an article on recycling old tights,

there are ideas for the home and garden and I am told they accept old tights, with or without holes as long as they are clean, and they are used to secure dressings on women in developing countries who have suffered in injury in childbirth... the charity part seems to be broken at the mo but it could just be my internet connection

Click on the links on the website for more info

http://www.tightsplease.co.uk/eco-friendly/

paprika
16-10-2008, 08:24 AM
I love their ideas! So far I used old socks only for dusting.
My Grandma used to make clothes for my Barbie dolls from old socks. Just a few holes for arms and neck, maybe a little scrap lace on the edges, and they were really nice ones.

narki
16-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Old Tights are great for filtering the lumps out of old paint. Stretch the tights over a clean container and pour the paint through it , you will end up with paint free from any lumps and bits .

jeannemckay
20-10-2008, 06:56 PM
at easter you can make lovey decorated eggs using old tights...gather a bunch of leaves with a nice shape or pattern...hard-boil some eggs...cut the tights into sections...take a leaf...wrap it around the egg...then wrap the piece of material from the tights around it, tying a knot at the top to secure it...put the eggs into a large pot of boiling water along with the skins leftover from a bag of onions or any other natural dye you care to use and voila...pretty decorated eggs!sorry don't have any pics right now...wrong time of year.

playbunnyplay
21-10-2008, 09:30 AM
was reading a magazine the other day and someone had made a contraption out of a pair of tights for their grandson. He wanted to practice his football skills and the ball kept getting away so she put the ball into the body part of the tights and tied the waist part and then tied the two feet part together and he was holding on to the feet part and kicking the ball merrily in the photo and the ball was presumably not getting away anymore. dunno how long it would last though want to be the tights that my gran used to wear. you know the kind... bullet proof! couldnt help thinking what that kid friends thought of him kicking the lard out of a pair of tights. i would feel like i was kicking my gran up the bum! maybe thats why he had a huge smile on his face in the pic in the magazine lololol.. god help him he was prob the "butt" of all his friends jokes.. lol

oskar
28-10-2008, 07:49 PM
they're brilliant for putting a shine on boots and shoes after been polished,simply rub with the the tights to shine,cheers

TickTock
07-11-2008, 12:52 AM
Check out www.crafster.org

If you are interested in crafts, some people actually dye the tights pretty colours (using natural dyes like onion skins, beetroot etc) and they make flowers out of them. I've seen it done on the BBC donkeys years ago but I never did it myself. Anyone up for it?

The Mammy
07-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Hi All
I came across a green site recently that had really great uses for old tights/ stockings...some great ideas like...

....Store scraps of soap. Collect enough pieces, and tie the stocking off. It will made a good soap scrubber..
...Find lost contact lenses, earrings, or other such tiny items. Put the stocking over the end of the vacuum hose and gently vacuum the area where the item was dropped...
...Bind piles of newspapers and magazines. Cut the top of a pair of Tights off and voila! You have a large rubber band.
...Reduce your heating bill. Make a stocking snake to prevent drafts by filling the leg of a nylon with sand and tie the end shut. Place at the bottom of the door to prevent cold air from seeping inside.
.. use to create a non-slip bar of soap for kids’ bath time. Put the bar of soap into the nylon, and tie off the edges. Cut off any tail. This makes the soap have better grip for kids.
...Scrub your back when you can’t reach -- place a bar of soap in the middle of a stocking, and tie off both ends. Now you can grab each end of the stocking and seesaw your back clean.
And Finally....Make you rich quick -- go to a bank, pull the nylons over your head and ... um … maybe not. ;)

Great Ideas
Regards
The Mammy

ireneo
07-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi
Put tights over the end of your hoover to find an earring back, small screw or anything small that you dropped on the floor. That way your floor is getting a hoovering while you find what you lost at the same time. Its brilliant

magiceight
22-11-2008, 12:32 PM
You can use them stretched over a wire coat hanger bent into a square shape for making your own recycled paper. It can be really nice for making cards and the like.

Betty_Bubbles
24-03-2009, 12:26 AM
if you have a photo frame that the glass has broken in....take your sheer stocking and get a stapler and staple it to the frame...cut off the excess....and hey presto...you have an earring holder....you just push the post through the stocking and secure at the back with the keeper....great thing about it is you get to see at a glance all of your earrings....you'll be surprised at how many you don't wear cos you cant find the other one when you're looking or that you tend to just go for the same pair all the time....

I've made about three for friends this year alone...