PDA

View Full Version : Why is names in a hat forbidden

jeana
03-11-2008, 10:48 PM
bettyboobopydoop mentioned that names in a hat is banned- I never heard that- is it true? and Why?
Jeana

Linn
03-11-2008, 11:07 PM
bettyboobopydoop mentioned that names in a hat is banned- I never heard that- is it true? and Why?
Jeana
Yes Jeana its true. if you go onto the next page and half way down you'll see the thread that Chris p wrote about Names in Hats not allowed anymore.
Regards Linn

Chris P
03-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Jeana
Hi jeana,

A while back, some Members started so-called "names-in-the-hat" ads where they stated they'd consider all expressions of interest from potential Takers. Fair enough, you say, but the problem was that we had threads running for several pages with potential Takers posting "Count me in!" etc. Some Givers were not as swift in updating as they should have been, so we decided to limit the maximum number of responses for an item to ten. That should be enough for any Giver from which to choose a Taker.

Prohibiting so-called "names-in-the-hat" ads also reduces the chance of hoax ads being posted. Admittedly, these types of ads are very few and far between in the first place, but we don't want to encourage them in any way.

So, Givers can put names in hats, socks, or tumble dryers for all we care (Admin has no interest in what people do in the privacy of their own homes!) but only ten of these names will be from those who've posted on the public forum. Givers may have up to 80 requests by PM but that's their business.

Finally, and as we all hopefully know at this stage, the Giver alone decides the Taker, be it the first, second or tenth respondent on the ad/thread or the first, second or tenth person to send a PM (Private Message).

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Bettybooboopbedoop
04-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Below is the link to Chris P post on the subject.

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=32493

Below, I have copied and pasted it for you. Betty

Hi Everyone,

From now on, Givers are not permitted to post "names-in-the-hat" or raffle-style ads.

From the inception of JumbleTown in 2006, our policy has been that Givers are free to pass on an item to whomever they like, be it the first or tenth respondent on their ad/thread or even the first or tenth potential Taker who sends them a PM (Private Message). This policy remains in effect.

However, we've noted that some Givers post so-called "names-in-the-hat" or "raffle-style" ads, with the laudable intention of allowing as many people as possible to express their interest in an item. In some cases, this has led to ads/threads with pages and pages of posts from potential Takers. From now on, these types of ads are prohibited; in other words, no Giver's ad will be allowed to have more than 10 potential Takers.

A maximum of ten potential Takers seems like more than enough and Admin will close any ad that has this number even if the ad has been open for less than the 3-day period in which Givers are expected to respond to expressions of interest from potential Takers.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Bettybooboopbedoop
04-11-2008, 02:18 PM
jeana, you can still give whatever you want to the person you want. Great isn't it.

Richie
07-11-2008, 04:36 PM
So it's ok to put names in a hat as long as you don't advertise it as such?

Chris P
07-11-2008, 04:41 PM
So it's ok to put names in a hat as long as you don't advertise it as such?
Hi Richie,

What we don't want are ads/threads that run for pages and pages. It's fine to say that you'll put the potential Takers' names in a hat as long as you realise that only ten of those names will come from the Public Forum ad itself. After that, the ad will be locked by Admin so that no more expressions of interest can be made.

Basically, the "names-in-the-hat" ads that were posted on the site a while back delayed the Giving and Taking process, and our goal is to help people pass on their unwanted items as quickly as possible.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Richie
07-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Ahh right, gotcha! :)

kiara
10-11-2008, 12:17 AM
is that 10 replys or ten different people interested, i mean are you counting bumps n stuff?

Chris P
10-11-2008, 12:19 AM
is that 10 replys or ten different people interested, i mean are you counting bumps n stuff?
Ten different people/expressions of interest, Kiara.

Regards
Chris P
Admin