PDA

View Full Version : No books section?

Derek De Khors
06-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Hi,
Ive noticed you have no books section or seemingly I cant find it.
I have a number of good books to give away.
Surely you should have a section dedicated to books & novels.
PS. Great website, could stay on it for hours.
Regards,
Derek.

Chris P
06-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Hi Derek De Khors,

Books should be posted in the "Home/Miscellaneous" forum. Having said that, JumbleTown is primarily for bulky goods and items that will not be accepted by Charity Shops. Although JumbleTowners are free to give away books, cds, dvds etc on the website, we think it best that Charity Shops be offered these items first. Getting to a Charity Shop is not an option available to all, so we allow JumbleTowners to post small items such as books etc.

Regards
Chris P
(Admin)

Antoinette
06-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Chris
While I agree that charity shops SHOULD be the first choice for smaller items - I feel that I have to comment...
I recently moved to Portlaoise from Dublin - I didn't have a lot of time to pack properly as my house sold very fast, so I just stuffed everything into boxes and took the whole lot with me.
I recently had time to sift through some of them and took a few boxes to our local charity shop... (i wont say which one - there's a few) I had the usual suspects... Clothes, ornaments, lamps, some toys, and a stereo (the tape drawer was stuck) The lady in the shop made me stand there while she went through e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g and she took the stereo and and some clothes and said I had to take all the other stuff back - I was so embarassed.
Most of the stuff I had was in "very good condition" and the rest was in "good condition".
I won't be going back and I still have tons of stuff that I didn't get through yet. They could have had the microwave and the vegetable steamer that I put on Jumbletown.. Aaaaand all the other stuff that I didn't get to yet.
OK Rant over. Had to get that off my chest.. GREAT SITE

Antoinette

Chris P
07-10-2006, 01:08 PM
They could have had the microwave and the vegetable steamer that I put on Jumbletown.

Hi Antoinette,

Some Charity shops are slow to accept electrical goods because they have to have them checked by an electrician before they can be sold in the shop. Employing an electrician (even on a part-time basis) is costly, so they rely upon (hard-to-find) volunteers with expertise in this area.

Regards
Chris P
(Admin)

ULstudent
11-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Antoinette, I also had a similar experience in a Portlaoise charity shop (that will remain nameless). I was moving from Portlaoise and brought a bunch of stuff down to the shop, thinking it was a good thing to do. I ended up taking half of the stuff back home after a not-very-nice reception from the shop assistant. I ended up giving the remainders to a local community centre who were doing a jumble sale to raise funds. It's weird, I thought the shop would be glad of the stuff...

I believe that some UK charity shops are even Ebay-ing the best stuff to raise cash, instead of selling it through their shops. It seems like a good idea for them, if they're bothered with the whole packaging element...

Chris
While I agree that charity shops SHOULD be the first choice for smaller items - I feel that I have to comment...
I recently moved to Portlaoise from Dublin - I didn't have a lot of time to pack properly as my house sold very fast, so I just stuffed everything into boxes and took the whole lot with me.
I recently had time to sift through some of them and took a few boxes to our local charity shop... (i wont say which one - there's a few) I had the usual suspects... Clothes, ornaments, lamps, some toys, and a stereo (the tape drawer was stuck) The lady in the shop made me stand there while she went through e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g and she took the stereo and and some clothes and said I had to take all the other stuff back - I was so embarassed.
Most of the stuff I had was in "very good condition" and the rest was in "good condition".
I won't be going back and I still have tons of stuff that I didn't get through yet. They could have had the microwave and the vegetable steamer that I put on Jumbletown.. Aaaaand all the other stuff that I didn't get to yet.
OK Rant over. Had to get that off my chest.. GREAT SITE

Antoinette