PDA

View Full Version : can used cd-rs be recycled?

jenniferalan
03-12-2008, 11:45 PM
Was sorting through my CD-Rs and I have a few that need to be dumped is there anyway they can be recycled? I dont have a shredder

bluecurlygirl
04-12-2008, 12:34 AM
On the green christmas window thread there's a post on making decorations out of cds. This got us doing our own & we found loads of scratched cds, ps games, dvds.... too many to hang on our window. Anyway my son came up with the idea of making a hanging screen (like a beaded curtain!) out of the cds with ribbon or cord or rags connecting them all. Install a chrome rail or something like that (we have some chrome railing left over from a wardrobe fix-up) that will be strong enough. Tie on your lengths of cds and bob's your uncle (hopefully - we haven't done it yet!). After that do what you like - he had an idea of creating an arch in it! If you do it post pics please!

easyliving
04-12-2008, 09:40 AM
I use old cds to hang in the garden, I pull a piece of twine through them and put two or three on a length at intervals. Make a knot under each one.
When they hang in the garden they scare birds trying to pick your fruit and they also look so lovely when they catch the sun as they glint and shimmer. I have hung them from trees and bushes. I hung a few over my strawberries and they attracted the sun so much that the berries ripened quickly and were so tasty. Cara

pauladublin08
04-12-2008, 09:55 AM
good for speed cameras on the road :)

jenniferalan
11-12-2008, 11:44 PM
thanks for all the replies, i was watching Oprah during the week and i actually saw the exact same idea - all the disks tied together to make a curtain and it looked fab under all the lights!

mrsl
12-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Hi,
The Jack and Jill Foundation now accept old DVD or CD's for recycling.

http://www.jackandjill.ie/recycling.htm

Post them to J&J free of charge at:
The Jack & Jill Appeal, Freepost, Ratoath Road, Finglas, Dublin 11.

My students collected over 1,000 of them recently and sent them in. It's a very worthy cause.
mrsl

magiceight
12-12-2008, 05:34 PM
If you're crafty at all, or know anyone else who is, I've seen them used to make sort of mirror ball type ornaments, just break or cut them into square-ish pieces and glue them onto things.

jenniferalan
14-12-2008, 12:30 PM
thanks to all the replies, I'm going to send them to the jack and jill foundation

mrsl
14-12-2008, 12:41 PM
thanks to all the replies, I'm going to send them to the jack and jill foundation

That's great Jenniferalan, another good deed done:)

cormie
14-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Great, finally somewhere to send them!! I remember I gathered loads and brought them to ringsend because apparently they recycled them there, but the guys said there was nowhere to put them and they'd just be dumped, so I gave them to the guys there who wanted to have a look through to see if there was anything they wanted, at least that was something :)

cormie
18-12-2008, 10:35 AM
I don't think they work with today's speed cameras but it was something about reflecting the radar signals to give an inaccurate reading. Drive intelligently and you'll have nothing to worry about ;)

Marathon Man
18-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Kilk, you really should be made flog yourself for that..!!

burren
18-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Well you don't need a shredder. cut them up with a scissors or garden shears!
but wear glasses to avoid flying splinters.
Also i have hung them from apple trees, to scare off the crows.
the reflected light scares them. it works.

cormie
18-12-2008, 08:21 PM
or just pop a few into a plastic bag, tie a knot in it, and snap them while inside the bag, this way you wont have to clean up anything and all the receiver has to do is pour the bag into whatever they keep the rest of the pieces in without even touching a cd :)

jeana
18-12-2008, 08:25 PM
That's a good idea