PDA

View Full Version : Energy Saving Grant?

cormie
04-12-2008, 09:28 AM
Hi there,
I read or heard somewhere, sometime ago, that the government were doing a grant scheme where they would get somebody out to your house to assess where you could save energy (double glazed windows, more insulation etc) and you could then get a grant for something like 30% of the total cost.

Sorry for being so vague but this is all I know. So I'm just wondering does anyone have any more info on this as the family home is an ice box!

Any feedback appreciated :)

John Kieran
04-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Hi, they rolled this grant scheme out this year in specific parts of Ireland [3 counties only], but plans to extend it were talked about, but due to economy we'll have to see...check SEI site...here:

http://www.sei.ie/grants/

Hope that helps

John Kieran

el_loco_blanco
04-12-2008, 02:06 PM
There are two issues here.

Firstly, SEI (sustainable energy Ireland) have a scheme where an energy advisor will come out to your house and look for drafts etc. As far as I know there is a charge of around 50 euro for that. There has been ads recently on radio for companies to avail of the service free of charge.

Secondly, there is a pilot scheme running at the moment in certain towns (Ennis, Dundalk and others) where you can apply for a 50% grant to solve Energy issues such as reinsulating, double glazing, draft proofing etc.

If you do any improvements on your house you are entitled to tax relief on the interest if you get a loan through the tax relief at source scheme.