PDA

View Full Version : Recycled houses?

kiara
05-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Hi all, Im finally moving to my very own (council) house, UPDATE; Moving on the 7th of January!

Thing is the house is completly empty so im wondering if any of you resourceful jumbletowners have ideas for low cost renovations, reusing stuff that i might have or am able to get for uses that i might not have thought of??? (unfortunatly im not a visionary- to say the least)

Im usually a dedicated shopper but thats just not an option lately so hopefully you all have some bright ideas???

I would like to recycle/repurpose anything I can!!!

***Garden ideas also welcome***

The Mammy
05-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Well Kiara,
Congrats ...You must be very excited, I only have a little bit of advice really and thats...Take your time, Dont try to tackle all at once, do one thing at a time, and enjoy.
Best wishes M

gillo
05-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Good luck in your new home, Kiara. If I think of any useful ideas I'll let you know. Mind is blank atm! Best wishes, Gillian

kiara
05-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Well Kiara,
Congrats ...You must be very excited, I only have a little bit of advice really and thats...Take your time, Dont try to tackle all at once, do one thing at a time, and enjoy.
Best wishes M

Thanks 'the mammy' Im afraid time is a luxury that I just dont have (not for the big jobs anyway) Im due our 2nd little bundle of joy at the end of February so Im panicking a little bit! On the other hand I do beleive if its worth doing its worth doing right so anything that can wait, will.

I've seen some amazing ideas from other jumbletowners and it makes me wish I could be more creative minded but I don't 'think outside the box' very well. I am fairly handy though so carrying out the ideas shouldn't be a big problem, now if only I could borrow Unapam's brain... lol

kiara
05-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Good luck in your new home, Kiara. If I think of any useful ideas I'll let you know. Mind is blank atm! Best wishes, Gillian

Thanks Gillo :)

HappyHunter
05-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Hi Kiara, I was in a similar position to you two and a half years ago regarding finally getting my very own home, as a result of private personal events.

I had been renting for 6 years at that stage but the last place I rented was unfurnished so I had had to come up with furniture for the place. Jumbletown did not exist 8 years ago so I did not have the option of looking here. I bought what I needed 2nd hand and kept it to a minimum, two beds, a suit of furniture, a leatherette sofa I saved from a bonfire (in perfect condition). The house was in terrible condition so whatever I spent was done so on paint and curtains to brighten the place up. Friends who came to visit liked my minimalistic style, no overcrowding with furniture and so on.

I 2nd The Mammy's advice. Make the place comfortable and don't rush into getting loads done - take your time to get a feel for the place and write down a list of the items you really need for each room and stick to it, otherwise you will end up having too much stuff and not enough space.

I have actually painted my entire interior the same throughout, because it saved me money. Get a feel for the place and know what rooms get sun and so on. In time you can decide on different colors for different rooms.

Plan to grow your own vegetables if you have even a small space available - it will save you money in the long term.

Have fun and take your time :) Good Luck in your New Home.

Kathy

kiara
05-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi Kiara, I was in a similar position to you two and a half years ago regarding finally getting my very own home, as a result of private personal events.

I had been renting for 6 years at that stage but the last place I rented was unfurnished so I had had to come up with furniture for the place. Jumbletown did not exist 8 years ago so I did not have the option of looking here. I bought what I needed 2nd hand and kept it to a minimum, two beds, a suit of furniture, a leatherette sofa I saved from a bonfire (in perfect condition). The house was in terrible condition so whatever I spent was done so on paint and curtains to brighten the place up. Friends who came to visit liked my minimalistic style, no overcrowding with furniture and so on.

I 2nd The Mammy's advice. Make the place comfortable and don't rush into getting loads done - take your time to get a feel for the place and write down a list of the items you really need for each room and stick to it, otherwise you will end up having too much stuff and not enough space.

I have actually painted my entire interior the same throughout, because it saved me money. Get a feel for the place and know what rooms get sun and so on. In time you can decide on different colors for different rooms.

Plan to grow your own vegetables if you have even a small space available - it will save you money in the long term.

Have fun and take your time :) Good Luck in your New Home.

Kathy

Thanks Kathy, I do plan to paint downstairs the same for the time being and I will be growing veg, as my 3yr old daughter loves gardening at my mums and I've promised that now we have our own place that we will have a veg patch that she can help with and she will have her very own flower bed too! Really looking forward to getting stuck in now, kiara x

***update*** Both my daughter's room and the nursery have small alcoves, any ideas on how to use these for storage/space saving???

gillo
05-12-2008, 11:31 PM
The obvious storage solution to me with alcoves is to put up shelves all up along the height of the wall, that way you have storage space for their books, small toys and even photos etc, without losing any space in the room itself. This is what I did in my daughter's room. Hope it helps

unapam
05-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks 'the mammy' Im afraid time is a luxury that I just dont have (not for the big jobs anyway) Im due our 2nd little bundle of joy at the end of February so Im panicking a little bit! On the other hand I do beleive if its worth doing its worth doing right so anything that can wait, will.

I've seen some amazing ideas from other jumbletowners and it makes me wish I could be more creative minded but I don't 'think outside the box' very well. I am fairly handy though so carrying out the ideas shouldn't be a big problem, now if only I could borrow Unapam's brain... lol

Borrow my brain??!!
Ah sufferin' heart..me poor brain is on overtime as it is!

Seriously though, I am delighted you are getting your dream home. You will enjoy it - even in the early days when it is just starting to come together.
Jumbletown is you best resource. You will source all the things you need and then all the things you want! (Give Kiara a digout everyone!)

Best of luck to you and I hope you have a very happy 1st Christmas in you new home.

kiara
05-12-2008, 11:47 PM
The obvious storage solution to me with alcoves is to put up shelves all up along the height of the wall, that way you have storage space for their books, small toys and even photos etc, without losing any space in the room itself. This is what I did in my daughter's room. Hope it helps

yes i was thinking of shelves low down for my daughter but maybe a rail over it for clothes, but I'm not sure where I'm going to find such short rails... I'll think of something...

kiara
05-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Borrow my brain??!!
Ah sufferin' heart..me poor brain is on overtime as it is!

Seriously though, I am delighted you are getting your dream home. You will enjoy it - even in the early days when it is just starting to come together.
Jumbletown is you best resource. You will source all the things you need and then all the things you want! (Give Kiara a digout everyone!)

Best of luck to you and I hope you have a very happy 1st Christmas in you new home.

Thank you unapam, your very kind and we will (hopefully) be in and ready for christmas! kiara x

Bunty
05-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Hi Kiara,
It's great to hear to are finally getting the KEYS. May you have many years of happiness & health in your new home. Best of luck with studies also. B.

magiceight
06-12-2008, 12:54 AM
Congratulations you lucky thing!! I've been on a spree lately of searching for ideas for repurposing and recycling etc. and I've a good few links saved, I'll have a look and post a few up for you :)

magiceight
06-12-2008, 01:00 AM
Forgot to ask - do you have anything or are you starting from scratch? And what are your main few priorities? I just looked at my favourites list (and all its subfolders :P) and I don't know where to start!!

toddler
06-12-2008, 12:24 PM
You can get lengths of rail from builders merchants, and brakets for it from either the same place or a hardware shop. If you ask nicely they will even cut the poles to size. Good luck with the new home
Tod

kiara
06-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Hi Kiara,
It's great to hear to are finally getting the KEYS. May you have many years of happiness & health in your new home. Best of luck with studies also. B.

thanks bunty, x

kiara
06-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Forgot to ask - do you have anything or are you starting from scratch? And what are your main few priorities? I just looked at my favourites list (and all its subfolders :P) and I don't know where to start!!

hi magiceight, yes im starting from scratch as im moving from a furnished rental, iv a 3 year old girl so her room is an immediate priority I'm pregnant too so I'll be doing a nursery, really dont know where to start! kiara

kiara
06-12-2008, 07:50 PM
You can get lengths of rail from builders merchants, and brakets for it from either the same place or a hardware shop. If you ask nicely they will even cut the poles to size. Good luck with the new home
Tod

thank you I'll try that on monday, kiara x

bluecurlygirl
06-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Well done on your new home. Exciting times ahead. I was gonna suggest wardrobe for the alcove & the pole could be dowelling or aluminium piping (copper piping left over from building site maybe?) I bought the fixings in our hardware store - there are loads of different kinds of fixings so you'll be spoilt for choice. Put up a screen in our sitting room using this and a towel rail in the bathroom. Buy one length and it should do your wardrobe and your towel rails/toilet roll holders too! Do you want a single locker? Do you want a lovely stereo system (tape doesn't work and the cd tray ejects from time to time) -3 cd holder and mighty sound out of it. Great reception on radio also. If you know anyone who can figure out why it ejects ....

kiara
07-12-2008, 12:21 AM
Well done on your new home. Exciting times ahead. I was gonna suggest wardrobe for the alcove & the pole could be dowelling or aluminium piping (copper piping left over from building site maybe?) I bought the fixings in our hardware store - there are loads of different kinds of fixings so you'll be spoilt for choice. Put up a screen in our sitting room using this and a towel rail in the bathroom. Buy one length and it should do your wardrobe and your towel rails/toilet roll holders too! Do you want a single locker? Do you want a lovely stereo system (tape doesn't work and the cd tray ejects from time to time) -3 cd holder and mighty sound out of it. Great reception on radio also. If you know anyone who can figure out why it ejects ....

thanks for the advice bluecurlygirl, and il pm you about the locker, kiara x

kila2008
07-12-2008, 12:46 AM
Hey Kiara, congrats on your new house...I'm delighted for you!

As other posters said, keep it simple and prioritise. I can imagine that you want to get as much of the house finished as possible before the new baby arrives, but you really only need to get the basics in place.

Place some "wanted" ads on here and also on

http://www.rollercoaster.ie/handiton/forum.asp?forumdb=7&mycounty=All

You could make your own stencils for decorating your daughter's room...do a google search for some of her favourite characters, print them off and cut out pieces to make a stencil...a small bit of sponge and some acrylic paints and just repeat the stencil as many times as you want. You could paint some numbers or the alphabet on the wall or perhaps paint/make a height chart on the wall. Alternatively, get your daughter to colour/paint some pictures and let her hang them on her wall.

Regarding the rail for the alcove in your daughter's room...could you just use the wooden handle off an old mop or sweeping brush??

Penneys used to sell plain coloured 'pop-up tidys' for €3...not sure if they still stock them but they are very handy for storing toys. Try the €2 shop for kids posters, stickers, small household bits, etc

Regarding the garden, I don't know much about gardening, but perhaps, get some seeds and start them off in old food containers and maybe get some slips/branches off shrubs and try growing them with some rooting powder....other JT members will be able to advise you on the correct times of year for doing this and the correct procedure as I'm not really sure.

kila2008
07-12-2008, 12:49 AM
Kiara, perhaps place a really long wish-list of every single item that you need or would like for the house & baby and update/shorten it as you receive each item!

kiara
07-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Kiara, perhaps place a really long wish-list of every single item that you need or would like for the house & baby and update/shorten it as you receive each item!

ha ha your not the 1st one to suggest that! I have a 'furniture and kitchen appliances' thread in wanted but I really dont want to have a big long list and people would just think I'm milking it! Truth is though I really do need alot of things and my partner is out of work since Sept and will be for awhile yet (severe back problems from being overworked!) so I can't just go shopping, although it might be a blessing in disguise because I used to shop way too much and end up with stuff I just didnt need! So now I'm being alot more resourceful and reusing alot more and actually I kind of enjoy it! Myself and the little lady have been making christmas bits lately and she loves it so I might take your advice and give her a more active role decorating her room, crafts etc. I'm definatly gonna build in her wardrobe so i might get a beaded curtain, are they hard to make? lol (only half joking I actually have a surprising amount of beads!) kiara x

kila2008
07-12-2008, 02:16 AM
Yeah I understand...but I don't think that people would necessarily think that...just thought it might be the easiest way of doing it as people could look down through the list and could then decide what they had to offer you based on what you need.

I, too, have always loved shopping but there is soooo much more satisfaction out of making stuff yourself and its soooo much cheaper. I love the €2 shop though, as I can indulge my shopping habit without spending an absolute fortune.

I seem to have developed a habit lately of gathering up as many craft supplies as I possibly can and anything that I think I can make something out of. I'm doing a design-related course in college and it has made me realise that I am the best person to design stuff to suit my own taste as nobody knows what I like better than I do myself...lol I'm hoping to start trying to design some furniture soon as boyf is starting to decorate a self-build (and as a s/e tradesperson work is now rather scarce for him so I want to save him money). He asked me what I want for xmas and I told him I want a 'jigsaw'...he didn't understand though as he asked me "how many pieces do you want in it?"... lol

kila2008
07-12-2008, 02:17 AM
I have been searching online lately though for "home decorating" ideas....I like looking at interior design or even just general design blogs for inspiration.

Stuarty
07-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Hiya

i'm a big fan of www.marthastewart.com. Theres loads of cool ideas for maximising space and storage. I love the one of hanging a curtain in front of shelves to hide the clutter, perhaps in daughters rooms you could hang one a bit out from the shelves (it depends on the depth of the alcove and the depth of the shelf) and it turns into a cool space for little people, they can use it as a puppet theatre, a dress up space, a hiding place ....

kiara
07-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Yeah I understand...but I don't think that people would necessarily think that...just thought it might be the easiest way of doing it as people could look down through the list and could then decide what they had to offer you based on what you need.

I, too, have always loved shopping but there is soooo much more satisfaction out of making stuff yourself and its soooo much cheaper. I love the €2 shop though, as I can indulge my shopping habit without spending an absolute fortune.

I seem to have developed a habit lately of gathering up as many craft supplies as I possibly can and anything that I think I can make something out of. I'm doing a design-related course in college and it has made me realise that I am the best person to design stuff to suit my own taste as nobody knows what I like better than I do myself...lol I'm hoping to start trying to design some furniture soon as boyf is starting to decorate a self-build (and as a s/e tradesperson work is now rather scarce for him so I want to save him money). He asked me what I want for xmas and I told him I want a 'jigsaw'...he didn't understand though as he asked me "how many pieces do you want in it?"... lol

Fair play, if you can do it go for it completely custom made furniture, i love it, if I tried that I'd probably lose some fingers lol!

Antoine
07-12-2008, 04:30 PM
I am moving house at the end of Feb if you can wait that long I have a old wardrobe chest of drawers and bed side locker that you can have you could paint them in your daughters favourite colours and add stickers and stuff. let me kmow what you think?

ireneo
07-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Congratulations Kiara,
You should pick your paint colours for every room and give all your friends a colour and have a house warming/painting night. If everyone brings a bottle and a pot of paint, you would all paint and party at the same time. You , would have your house painted and your house warming all in one night. It would be such a laugh too. The pots of paint would be your moving in presents from your friends. Just make some finger food and put some good music on and you`re laughing.
Good luck
All the best

kiara
07-12-2008, 05:26 PM
I am moving house at the end of Feb if you can wait that long I have a old wardrobe chest of drawers and bed side locker that you can have you could paint them in your daughters favourite colours and add stickers and stuff. let me kmow what you think?

thank you antoine, sending pm

kiara
07-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Congratulations Kiara,
You should pick your paint colours for every room and give all your friends a colour and have a house warming/painting night. If everyone brings a bottle and a pot of paint, you would all paint and party at the same time. You , would have your house painted and your house warming all in one night. It would be such a laugh too. The pots of paint would be your moving in presents from your friends. Just make some finger food and put some good music on and you`re laughing.
Good luck
All the best

Sounds like fun! But theres no need really the painting isnt a problem, anyway I'm nearly 7 months pregnant so the drink will have to wait! lol, kiara x

Bawnie
07-12-2008, 05:57 PM
hi Kiara, wishing you all the best in the new home, and hope you get it set up. If i find anything i think you could use that i have hanging around I'll let you know. I'm not crafty but hey you never know! Best wishes now and in the future, Siobhan. P.S. Enjoy making lots of memories in your new home.

kiara
07-12-2008, 06:28 PM
hi Kiara, wishing you all the best in the new home, and hope you get it set up. If i find anything i think you could use that i have hanging around I'll let you know. I'm not crafty but hey you never know! Best wishes now and in the future, Siobhan. P.S. Enjoy making lots of memories in your new home.

Thanks bawnie, I can't wait to have our own place, decorated whatever way we want and the best part... no more moving! Anyone who's renting will know how annoying that is... moving everytime your lease is up! My 3 year old daughter was brought home from hospital to 1 house where she lived for 2 months, we moved into a house closer to my mum but it was freezing so 6 months later we moved again into a beautiful house with brilliant neighbours, I loved the place and the people, my daughter had made friends and it was the only house she remembered and then after two years the landlady decided she was selling up! so we moved again into our current house, its close enough to the last one so we can visit our old neighbours but its just never felt right (we have been here nearly 9 months!) So now hopefully we can settle down and have a real home! kiara x

Elnr83
08-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Congratulations on your new home!

I will def keep an eye out for ANYTHING I might have at home. I might have an old mop that is about to go in the bin if you would like me to save the handle?

Also if you are anywhere near Dublin I will gladly offer you my unskilled hands if you need help with anything! As long as there is tea I'd be happy to help out :)

kiara
08-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Congratulations on your new home!

I will def keep an eye out for ANYTHING I might have at home. I might have an old mop that is about to go in the bin if you would like me to save the handle?

Also if you are anywhere near Dublin I will gladly offer you my unskilled hands if you need help with anything! As long as there is tea I'd be happy to help out :)

thanks very much but im in ennis co clare so id say its a bit far for you :) kiara x

Elnr83
09-12-2008, 08:48 AM
He he Maybe just a little far away!

I am so delighted for you with your own place though! I only bought my house a year ago and there really is no feeling like it. Walking through the door and knowing its yours!

I hope you get all that you need from here and wishing you many happy years in your new home!

magiceight
10-12-2008, 03:06 AM
Hi Kiara - here area few things I had saved to start off with.... I have more but I'm brutal for not categorising my bookmarks so I've to look for them!

Beer can butterflies! Aluminium cans are easy enough to cut using a kitchen scissors (mind the sharp edges though). This can be done with plastic bottles and containers too.

http://www.notcot.com/archives/2008/03/paul_villinski.php

Paper lightshades – I love these to pieces. The second link has a tutorial for making a DIY one.

http://padstyle.com/iq-light/499

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=231484.0

Room dividers – the possibilities for these are endless. You can make a big one to stretch across the room, or smaller ones for doorways or just decoration. I love that you can use almost anything to make these :D

http://ayoska.wordpress.com/2008/05/09/think-green-repurposed-water-bottles/

http://flickr.com/photos/8171839@N05/792565548

http://frazierandwing.com/one_of_a_kind

(This one’s very cute)
http://www.designsprout.com/my_weblog/2008/05/diy---recycle-1.html

If you’re using beads for beaded curtains etc., you can make really cool beads from recycled paper:

http://flickr.com/photos/73966497@N00/588658460/

Decoupage – one of my favourite things ever hehe. You can give old furniture a new lease of life, and make plain old cardboard boxes for storage look really cool and designer-y.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6610020
(Everyone’s doing this with old maps and it looks amazing IMO, but you can use anything really)

http://flickr.com/photos/bombusdesign/498231251/

http://flickr.com/photos/moline/532041113/

T shirt rugs: these are really easily made using the latch-hook method

http://museumofhappiness.blogspot.com/2008/02/white-shag-rug.html

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5626795

Tin can kitchen storage… sometimes the simplest ideas are the best. I have lots of my craft supplies in tin cans lol

http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/officialgallery/?p=927

You can also just use them free standing, and paint or decoupage them. I think some funny labels like ‘Can of worms’ or ‘Can of whoop-ass’ would be hilarious :P

Recycled paper baskets:

http://en.espritcabane.com/pretty-things/coiled-paper-basket.php

I know I have loads more, I’ve to sort through all the saved links and see what else I have…. I get loads of ideas from sites like inhabitat.com, apartmenttherapy.com, curbly, notcot.org, craftzine, and my favourite ever - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=347.0

If you go onto Flickr and search using words like repurposed, recycle crafts etc. you can get tons of ideas.

If you have access to a sewing machine or a lend of one, cushion covers and patchwork throws are easy to make up using old clothes, samples and swatches from fabric and curtain shops.

I’ll post more links as I come across them! Hope these inspire you a bit anyway :)

magiceight
10-12-2008, 07:53 AM
(disclaimer – all of the links I’ve posted are for inspirational purposes, I’m not suggesting anyone rip the original artists/designers off – I’ve found them great for giving me ideas for similar projects though :D)

A few good sites for creative inspiration….

http://www.packratmag.com/

http://housewife.splinder.com/

www.treehugger.com

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com

http://hautenature.blogspot.com/search/label/d.i.y.%20projects (Great blog, this is the DIY craft section)

http://craftzine.com/

http://www.notcot.org/

http://www.curbly.com/

This is one of the coolest things I’ve seen in a bit – I reckon you could get a similar effect by photocopying pics onto overhead transparencies (check schools & colleges for any they might be throwing away, now that everyone’s gone digital).
http://www.hgtv.com/decorating/film-reel-lampshade/index.html

Beautiful idea for felt or fabric rugs – I think this could be done easily enough using recycled materials like old clothes etc. http://www.ecosalon.com/title/Felt_Like_It ,

http://freshome.com/2007/03/27/beautiful-little-field-of-flowers-rug/

Think outside the box when it comes to flooring…. http://asthecrowflies.org/2007/10/14/my-beautiful-paper-floor/

I’m trying to put together a prototype for sort of a parquet effect flooring made from cardboard… will post pics if I can get it to work…

Never underestimate good old collage for some really striking wall art
http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2007/07/michelle_caplans_summer_sale_e.html

Cardboard furniture!! I’m itching to have a go at making some of these
http://freshome.com/tag/cardboard/

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/green-ideas/gomi-styles-cardboard-furniture-040982

http://www.trucdesign.com/index.php/?2007/06/27/435-miss-julia

Imaginative way to store CD’s disguised as art :P
http://inventorspot.com/articles/handy_cd_storage_doubles_wall_ar_9728

This, my friends, is how we’re all going to get rich – check out the price tag!!!!! http://store.greenergrassdesign.com/droog-rag.html
Now go raid your houses for all those bags of old clothes and get busy LOL

The pics are just some random repurposed things I’ve saved for inspiration (not my own work), to get ideas etc.

magiceight
10-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Good luck with getting your keys today Kiara (it is today isn't it?)

Tell us how it went later won't you :)
I'm all excited for you lol....

bluecurlygirl
10-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Magiceight I love all the links. Thanks a million.

magiceight
10-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Oh there are plenty more where they came from....
Does it show that I'm obsessed with repurposing and have way too much time on my hands?! :P

I came across this – it might be easy enough to knock something together in the same style without having to break out the power tools!!
http://www.organizeit.com/poquikcloset.asp

These pine shelving units are fairly inexpensive and the shelf positions are adjustable – when my son was little I used to leave the top space quite big and run a bungee rope around the top to hang his clothes from. I was able to adjust it back to normal when he graduated to a wardrobe :P
http://flickr.com/photos/hoonynoo/1262698526/

Seaweed lamps – aren’t they beautiful? :D
http://www.inhabitat.com/2008/05/01/lamps-made-from-seaweed-julia-lohmanns-kelp-constructs/

Great idea for those old punctured inflatable sofas and chairs…. OK this one’s full of rubbish, but I think it’d look really cute in a kids room filled with squishy stuff like soft toys, cushions etc.
http://www.inhabitat.com/2008/05/20/icff-2008-xs-garbage-chair/

Decoupage gone mad…. This is stunning (and so is the price tag LOL)…. But is anyone else thinking aluminium foil?!!
http://mocoloco.com/archives/005596.php

Paper flowers – a few garlands of these would really brighten up a little girls’ room
http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2008/06/how_to_make_paper_flowers.html

IRISH green DIY website :D http://greendiy.ie/wiki/

If you have a check in any of the two euro shops, a lot of them do those big PVC zip-up bags with handles – they’re great for toys etc. and they often have nice colours & patterns (see pic).

The other pic is just an idea for re-using the big 5 litre water bottles - I cut a lump out of the top and fill them with the various cleaning stuff I need for each room, that way I only have to grab the relevant bottle for whatever room I'm doing.

kiara
10-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Wow magiceight, you are a mine of information, thank you so much!

I collected the keys today, unfortunately the council haven't done everything they were supposed to so I have to go back to them tomorrow, nothing major though and I'm going to buy paint tomorrow and get quotes for flooring etc.... exciting times ahead! Thanks to all for suggestions and kind words.

I have as suggested made a 'wish list' in wanted! Fairly long list lol :)

I'm going to take some before pics tomorrow so I can show ye all what I'll be doing, kiara x

Chris P
11-12-2008, 12:06 AM
Wow magiceight, you are a mine of information...
Here, here! Sterling work, magiceight!

Kiara -- good luck with your new home!

Regards
Chris P
Admin

kiara
11-12-2008, 02:30 PM
thanks chris! and magiceight iv know added half of those to my favourites, thanks again, my 1st project... the bottle ends curtain!

magiceight
11-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Yet more recycling/repurposing links… enjoy!
(Seriously, I could do this all day :P)

Wooden pallet furniture…
http://en.espritcabane.com/furniture-plans/pallet-coffee-table.php

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/06/how_to_planter_from_recla.html

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sf/beds-mattresses/sf-good-questions-can-i-make-a-platform-bed-out-of-wooden-pallets-052991

http://www.superuse.org/story.php?title=New-palletfloor-rdf181

http://en.espritcabane.com/garden/pallet-wood-deck.php

http://www.re-nest.com/re-nest/look/look-shipping-pallet-house-austin-061009

Shipping container houses (I. Want. One. Of. These. :D)
http://weburbanist.com/2008/05/26/cargo-container-homes-and-offices/

http://www.architectureandhygiene.com/12conHouse/12con_main.html

More cardboardy goodness… :D
http://www.vivavi.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1223

http://www.lifedeathhappinessandstuff.com/2007/05/flexible-love-experimental-furniture.html

http://www.gizmag.com/go/7969/

http://keetsa.com/blog/eco-friendly/furniture-made-from-cardboard-2/

http://www.inhabitat.com/2007/04/07/giles-miller-fluted-cardboard-furniture/

http://keetsa.com/blog/home-and-garden/furniture/furniture-made-from-cardboard/

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/diy/cartonnistes-diy-cardboard-furniture--050820

Recycled furniture from old bits of furniture and reclaimed wood…

http://www.enviromedia.com/enviroblog/?p=77

http://bedzine.com/blog/bed-news/recycled-furniture-art-the-pile-chair/

http://coolhuntinggreen.com/tag/recycled-furniture/

http://www.inhabitat.com/2007/02/01/chris-burtons-upcycling-stellation-chair/

http://www.wendellrobbinsdesign.com/pages/fullsize/f1.html

http://www.bravenewleaf.com/environment/2008/04/gorgeous-furnit.html

http://blog.2modern.com/2008/03/discarded-recov.html

Random repurposing…
http://heathersdrivelandwhatnot.blogspot.com/2008/08/repurposing.html

http://coolhuntinggreen.com/

Seatbelt pillows….
http://www.reformschoolrules.com/pc/tngblkflorplw/homeec/Repurposed+Seatbelt+Pillow

Metal washer lightshade….
http://www.alternativeconsumer.com/2007/12/30/metro-light-of-repurposed-metal-washers/

Old street signs into the coolest furniture ever….
http://www.poetichome.com/2008/08/21/vintage-street-signs-re-purposed-into-stylish-decor/

Chairs & seating made from repurposed stuff…
http://www.inhabitat.com/2007/07/03/top-5-chairs-made-from-trash/

Recycled CD chair…
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/notag/-308488.php

Big tyre chairs…
http://www.coolbuzz.org/entry/re-tyre-chair-concept-by-carl-menary/

Carpet sample chair…
http://hautenature.blogspot.com/2007/06/ample-sample.html

Seating from old baths and shopping trolleys…
http://www.inhabitat.com/2007/12/20/reestore-bathtub-couch-by-max-mcmurdo/

Recycled inner tube seating…
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/08/recycoool_recyc.php

Wine cork chair…
http://www.ecofriend.org/entry/chair-from-recycled-wine-corks/

Hockey stick deck chair…
http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/officialgallery/?p=1422

Recycled bike chair…
http://www.coolbuzz.org/entry/funky-recycled-bike-furniture/

Recycled skateboard chair…
http://keetsa.com/blog/eco-friendly/chair-made-using-recycled-skateboards/

Soft toy chairs!!!
http://meganmidori.blogspot.com/2007/08/intro-to-fashion-finale.html

Repurposed lighting…

Spectacle chandeliers…
http://hautenature.blogspot.com/2007/06/stuart-haygarth.html

Plastic laundry detergent bottle lighting…
http://www.coolhunting.com/archives/2004/11/julian_lwin.php

Wine bottle lighting…
http://www.trendir.com/green/jerry-kott-creates-modern-ligh.html

Biro chandelier…
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/01/ball_point_pen.html

Cutlery chandelier…
http://www.curbly.com/DIY-Maven/posts/3021-Silverware-Chandeliers-

Plastic bottle lighting…
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/07/post_42.php

Chandelier from recycled bits and pieces…
http://www.stuarthaygarth.com/default.asp?V_DOC_ID=1080

Plastic bottle ends lighting…
http://www.inhabitat.com/2007/05/28/recycled-water-bottle-cascade-chandelier/

Plastic bottle lighting…. These are absolutely gorgeous…
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/green-ideas/green-lighting-by-heath-nash-012898

Shuttlecock lighting…
http://hautenature.blogspot.com/2007/09/disgarded-materials-into-something.html

magiceight
11-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Just a few more, and some more pics I had saved (again, not my own work) :)

Floppy disk art…
http://www.georgehart.com/sculpture/disk-combobulation.html

Lightbulb oil lamps…
http://www.66degrees.com/#/pid=1085

iPod cases from reclaimed vinyl 45s and audio cassettes…
http://www.coolhunting.com/archives/2008/02/45_ipod_cases.php

Cassette tape hand bound notebook…
http://flickr.com/photos/kateblack/2642023005/

Cassette tape wallet…
http://www.superuse.org/story.php?title=Cassette-Wallet

Beautiful driftwood horse sculptures…
http://www.ecofriend.org/entry/galloping-recycled-art-made-from-recycled-drift-wood/

Bottle top art & scrap plastic sculptures…
http://www.recyclethis.co.uk/20080522/recycling-bottle-tops-caps-and-that-sort-of-thing

Bottle cap bowl…
http://www.ecofriend.org/entry/crafting-a-bottle-cap-bowl/

Amazing shadow art from piles of rubbish…
http://chepchumba.wordpress.com/2008/08/26/speaking-of-rubbish/

Recycled blanket floor rug…
http://www.layersuponlayers.com/recycle-your-blankie-into-a-rug/

Tin can luminaries :D
These can be made by filling the tin can with water and freezing it – then, wearing gardening or other protective gloves, hammer lots of little holes in while the ice is still frozen. Thaw it out when you’re finished, and voila!
(p.s. I so want one of those fire bowls….)
http://johntunger.typepad.com/artbuzz/2005/05/radiant_heart_t.html

Excellent trash art…
http://weburbanist.com/2008/06/15/7-more-awesome-trash-artists/

http://www.financialhack.com/entrepreneurial-lessons-from-trash-art

http://www.tomdeiningerart.com/

Things to make and do with your recyclables…

Wastepaper wastepaper bin… get it??
http://kaywoodfurniture.co.uk/index.php?proddb=9&pid=641

Placemats…
http://keetsa.com/blog/recycle/recycled-paper-placemat/

Newspaper yarn…
http://greenupgrader.com/2138/handspun-recycled-newspaper-yarn/

Another ‘wastepaper’ basket…
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sf/look/look-recycled-magazine-wastebasket-050277

Mirror/picture frames from recycled magazines…
http://www.greatgreengoods.com/2007/10/23/recycled-magazine-mirrors/

Recycled magazine bowl tutorial…
http://indiefixx.com/2008/04/22/tutorial-tuesday-recycled-magazine-bowl/

Recycled paper laundry hamper…
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/tips/recycled-paper-hamper-from-pier-1-025776

Gorgeous tin can lanterns…
http://keetsa.com/blog/eco-friendly/lantern-made-from-recycled-tin/

Tin can mirror frame…
http://reviews.cb2.com/7259/4780/reviews.htm

magiceight
11-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Kiara - I've just had a lovely idea for making some decoupaged furniture or storage boxes for your daughters' room - why not use pictures that she's drawn? This would be lovely with old pages from school copybooks etc. too but she's probably a bit young for that!

This is the closest thing I could find when I googled 'homework decoupage', but you get the idea...
http://fashionminute.blogspot.com/2007/05/handbag-ate-my-homework.html

(edit:) Found another example using childrens' drawings - http://www.flickr.com/photos/20669612@N02/2230633597/in/set-72157603821975182/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20669612@N02/2008583670/

acket
12-12-2008, 10:36 AM
TodBut this is Jumbletown!
Shop is a four letter word.

Wooden poles, steel poles, mop handles even vacuum cleaner pipes (cant remember if they even have a name) all make excellent clothes rails, towel rails etc. And they are regularly discarded so easily come by in JT, skips, recycle centres.

In fact they are often much better then the flimsy rails you buy in hardware stores that are prone to bending when you hang too many clothes on them in a wide wardrobe.

All you need is a hack saw to cut it to correct length.
You dont even need fittings. 2 short lengths of wood with a v-notch cut in the centre of each and screwed to the wall will give a much stronger support for a wardrobe/clothes rail than almost any fitting you can buy.

kiara
13-12-2008, 08:51 PM
thanks again magiceight, you should start a thread of these, I'm sure plenty jtowners would try some of these out, I'm gonna have to leave crafts until after we have the house ready and furnished (basically livable) but then I'm getting started on some of these, I was shocked at what could be made using stuff that goes in our bins everyday! Kiara x

PS; I found a shop in Ennis where I can buy wine boxes cheaply and they will make gorgeous shelves!

kiara
13-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Just wanted to show you all what we're working with! It's not a pretty sight at the moment but we WILL get there!

1; bathroom
2; boxroom (will be nursery)
3; alcove in box room
4; alcove in what will be my daughters room
5; our room
6; stairs... after I'd scrubbed and scraped off an awful border :)
7; sitting room
8; sitting room floor
9; hall

magiceight
13-12-2008, 11:38 PM
I love the blue and purple that you've picked :)

Hey, looking at those alcoves - for a temporary wardrobe solution, you could buy lots of those little hooks with the sticky backing, and hang one hanger on each one? I did this years ago with all my bags, scarves & necklaces... the hooks might be strong enough to hold little clothes :) You could put a hanging curtain of paper flower garlands or beads n' stuff across the front.

kiara
13-12-2008, 11:44 PM
I love the blue and purple that you've picked :)

ha ha no thats what we're painting over! The bathroom will be a kind of sand colour and my daughters room will be the 'groovy chick purple' and bubble gum pink! I took these when all we'd painted was a few ceilings! But honestly if you actually saw the walls they are awful we had to scrub them and use plenty filler before we could even think of painting! Kiara x

misstake
13-12-2008, 11:51 PM
i think lighter colours will make the rooms look bigger maby she might like a few balloons painted in her favourite colours lol you could use those sample boxes and save a few euro or put pictures up in those colours
my daughter has a pink and lilac girl Ellie but in the end we had to repaint her room as it was closterfobic with the colours she choose now she has bedding and pictures with her colours and the room looks so much bigger

magiceight
13-12-2008, 11:53 PM
LMAO Kiara.... I thought they were freshly painted! Still nice colours though :)

kiara
13-12-2008, 11:57 PM
i think lighter colours will make the rooms look bigger maby she might like a few balloons painted in her favourite colours lol you could use those sample boxes and save a few euro or put pictures up in those colours
my daughter has a pink and lilac girl Ellie but in the end we had to repaint her room as it was closterfobic with the colours she choose now she has bedding and pictures with her colours and the room looks so much bigger

I actually had this thought myself but even though she's only 3 Zara is a very opinionated little girl but in fairness to her she really has her head screwed on!
I let her pick her own colours as I know our 2nd baby is going to make her feel a bit weird for a while, with such big changes all at once for her I want her room to be one thing she has complete control over, Kiara x

magiceight
14-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Aw bless her :)
Oh God I'm so broody... LOL :P

kiara
14-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Aw bless her :)
Oh God I'm so broody... LOL :P

Yes she's really cute (if you tell her this she just says yeah i know!) But she can be very bossy! I don't mind though if she's happy so am I!
As you can see from the pics all we can do until the flooring is done is paint so hopefully that will be sorted soon, waiting on a grant for it though, hopefully it won't take too long! I forgot to take pics of kitchen, I'll do that and the garden tomorrow! kiara x

kiara
15-12-2008, 04:05 PM
LMAO Kiara.... I thought they were freshly painted! Still nice colours though :)

That was all the scrubbing, it was funny actually when people called and saw we were cleaning they were gone fairly quick! Why does nobody mind painting but everyone hates washing walls? I've been politely thrown out anyway apparently I shouldn't be doing things like that 'in my condition!' I never realised pregnancy made me redundant!

gillo
15-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Make the most of it while it lasts kiara, you'll be back working hard soon enough once you have 2 kiddies running about! I wish you the very best of luck with your project, but once the painting and flooring is done everything will seem to fall into place after that, believe me I've been there.

bluecurlygirl
15-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Hiya Kiara, I think the problem is you shouldn't be overstretching. I did that when I was pregnant with my first. I was living at home & mam was so good to me I decided to decorate her sitting room for her. Stripped the wallpaper & started washing the walls. I felt like my stomach was being ripped out of me literally and was told by the doctor afterwards that I was very lucky that I hadn't damaged or lost the baby (who's now a healthy 17 year old!!!). Thank God it didn't happen but it taught me a lesson - don't be a martyr.

MandyD
15-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Hey Kiara, I was in the exact same position four years ago, with a one year old boy and a three year old girl. Trying to furnish and otherwise make a house liveable with no partner and two babies toddling around. There were concrete floors and bare plaster walls. Not even a lick of horrible paint I could paint over lol. The grant I received was paltry and hardly supplied half of what I needed - in fact, if it wasn't for my family, I'm quite sure I'd still be walking on stone floors! Do take whatever advantages you can - St. Vincent de Paul, Community Welfare Officer, MABS even! JT can be a great help to you right now. Just remember, as long as you have somewhere to sleep and something to cook on, you'll get by if you have to. If you can't find any old lengths of pole for a rail in your alcoves, you can always use curtain wire...cheap as chips and will at least last until you can find something a little more permanent. Choose your floors wisely - I picked any old thing at all to cover the concrete and regretted it in the end. I'm still trying to replace it all. I have the kitchen, sitting room and hall floors replaced...one room every few months is my aim.
As for curtains and the rest of it...I had cardboard boxes celotaped to my window in my bedroom for a while lol..not pretty..but it done the job and at least I could get changed without worrying if there was someone seeing me! Actually Argos do some really nice bamboo blinds for 7.50 each and they can be cut to size with a scissors! I have them all over my house now.
If you have floorboards upstairs, sand them down and varnish them up...they look fantastic. Your local carpet showroom will have offcuts of lino for half nothing for your bathroom floor.
And you can get paint cheap enough in your local hardware stores because some tins are mixed wrong and the person they were intended for refused them. Take advantage!
Instead of buying expensive curtains, buy unlined ones and use old bedsheets to sew some lining into them. If you need to cordon off a part of your garden, or need to erect some fences, you can use pallets - free from any place. Simply take them apart and put back together inside out!

I think that's your lot lol...my brain is shutting down now...

kiara
15-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Hey Kiara, I was in the exact same position four years ago, with a one year old boy and a three year old girl. Trying to furnish and otherwise make a house liveable with no partner and two babies toddling around. There were concrete floors and bare plaster walls. Not even a lick of horrible paint I could paint over lol. The grant I received was paltry and hardly supplied half of what I needed - in fact, if it wasn't for my family, I'm quite sure I'd still be walking on stone floors! Do take whatever advantages you can - St. Vincent de Paul, Community Welfare Officer, MABS even! JT can be a great help to you right now. Just remember, as long as you have somewhere to sleep and something to cook on, you'll get by if you have to. If you can't find any old lengths of pole for a rail in your alcoves, you can always use curtain wire...cheap as chips and will at least last until you can find something a little more permanent. Choose your floors wisely - I picked any old thing at all to cover the concrete and regretted it in the end. I'm still trying to replace it all. I have the kitchen, sitting room and hall floors replaced...one room every few months is my aim.
As for curtains and the rest of it...I had cardboard boxes celotaped to my window in my bedroom for a while lol..not pretty..but it done the job and at least I could get changed without worrying if there was someone seeing me! Actually Argos do some really nice bamboo blinds for 7.50 each and they can be cut to size with a scissors! I have them all over my house now.
If you have floorboards upstairs, sand them down and varnish them up...they look fantastic. Your local carpet showroom will have offcuts of lino for half nothing for your bathroom floor.
And you can get paint cheap enough in your local hardware stores because some tins are mixed wrong and the person they were intended for refused them. Take advantage!
Instead of buying expensive curtains, buy unlined ones and use old bedsheets to sew some lining into them. If you need to cordon off a part of your garden, or need to erect some fences, you can use pallets - free from any place. Simply take them apart and put back together inside out!

I think that's your lot lol...my brain is shutting down now...

Oh my god, you really were put through it, thankfully things are starting to look up for us, with help from family friends and fellow jumbletowners we will get the basics done soon, and everything else we can work on gradually. I hope things are starting to come together for you now and that you like your home. One question though can you pm me about MABS I don't know what they do? Did you know that if your not happy with your grants you can appeal? Kiara x

kiara
15-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Gillo and bluecurlygirl, I know I shouldn't be doing too much... but tea duty? lol! Ah no I know they're just minding me and everyone really has been great, it's just annoying that I can't do a whole lot when I 've been waiting for this for so long! Kiara x

summersun
15-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Well K, you are looking for garden ideas ... I have the best idea ever.... you can come and help me do mine and that will give you lots of practise ha ha , and by the time baby number 2 has arrived you will be an expert. We built a new house and have been living in it 2 years now, i have a big garden loads of plants and trees that i have been collecting and growing but lack the expertise to turn mine into the wow factor..... Diarmuid Gavin if you are reading this please come to Clones or any other like minded gardening experts.... you can have a free reign...

K, i replied to your thread in your wanted add re: material.... let me know sometime

take care
Summersun

kiara
15-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Well K, you are looking for garden ideas ... I have the best idea ever.... you can come and help me do mine and that will give you lots of practise ha ha , and by the time baby number 2 has arrived you will be an expert. We built a new house and have been living in it 2 years now, i have a big garden loads of plants and trees that i have been collecting and growing but lack the expertise to turn mine into the wow factor..... Diarmuid Gavin if you are reading this please come to Clones or any other like minded gardening experts.... you can have a free reign...

K, i replied to your thread in your wanted add re: material.... let me know sometime

take care
Summersun

Sent you a pm, thank you, xxx

MandyD
16-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Oh my god, you really were put through it, thankfully things are starting to look up for us, with help from family friends and fellow jumbletowners we will get the basics done soon, and everything else we can work on gradually. I hope things are starting to come together for you now and that you like your home. One question though can you pm me about MABS I don't know what they do? Did you know that if your not happy with your grants you can appeal? Kiara x

Well as I said, when I moved in, the house was a total empty shell and I kinda bought things on a whim thinking 'oh they'll do' when in reality, when I stood back and had a good look around, I didn't like it at all. So I worked on replacing things gradually. I had blue, white and grey lino in the kitchen which worked well with the royal blue carpet and blue, white and grey walls in the sitting room - open plan - but I quickly grew sick of looking at such bachelor colors, so I painted cream with red trims like red silk curtains and some canvas pictures. I recently built a wall to seperate the open plan kitchen and sitting room as I hated it with a passion! So now my kitchen is black and cream - black floor tiles with a center mosaic in black and white, which only cost me just over a hundred smackers cos I know a guy who works for right price tiles. A black glass and leather kitchen table and chairs for fifty quid in kavanagh's in newbridge - a veritable goldmine of a place - and some new kitchen presses from my partner's sister as she bought a new kitchen and wanted rid of her old one which was perfect!
As I said before, my family have been a great help to me, and recently bought me a new washing machine, cooker and fridge, on the condition that I pay back 25 quid a week. I painted the window wall black and the rest cream, so that's the kitchen done! All I need to do is hang the beautiful pine door that a JTer so kindly gave me.
The sitting room floor has been changed to some antique pine laminate and the three peice suite I had - which was totally buggered due to children hopping on them - I replaced with the help of the travelling community who gave me a suite on the premise that I pay them in monthly installments from my children's allowance.
The carpet in the hall - a biscuit color was soooo not the right choice - has been changed to cream tiles with cream and brown center peice - approx 80 quid from my friend at right price tiles!
I still have plenty left to do - my kids rooms were built totally wrong, with my son basically having two chimney breasts in his room, because they thought it would be nice to put an alcove in the other room for a wardrobe, which would be fine if his room was bigger than a postage stamp! (Council houses!!!!) So I'm knocking down my daughter's alcove and building my son a nice new STRAIGHT wall in his room lol and then I can paint and redecorate their rooms.
It's hard going, but every couple of months, when I see one more room taking shape, it heartens me for the scrimping and saving for the next one!

I think it helps a lot that my partner is a painter and one of my best friends is a carpenter! lol

So to your question about whether I love my home... I do now.

Will PM you regarding MABS.

Hope my tale of slogging it out with my own home gives you a bit of relief in that you're not the only one out there trying to get things done and achieving it slowly... xx

Mary G
16-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Hi all, Im finally moving to my very own (council) house, Im really excited as Im getting the keys next wednesday!!! I cant wait!!!

Thing is the house is completly empty so im wondering if any of you resourceful jumbletowners have ideas for low cost renovations, reusing stuff that i might have or am able to get for uses that i might not have thought of??? (unfortunatly im not a visionary- to say the least)

Im usually a dedicated shopper but thats just not an option lately so hopefully you all have some bright ideas???

I would like to recycle/repurpose anything I can!!!

***Garden ideas also welcome***

Delighted you are getting keys to your new home. I hope you and your family have a great Christmas and keep in touch as I am not forgetting baby clothes.

Kind regards,

MaryG

kiara
20-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Delighted you are getting keys to your new home. I hope you and your family have a great Christmas and keep in touch as I am not forgetting baby clothes.

Kind regards,

MaryG

Thanks Mary, Not long now once I have my scan I'll let you know, Kiara x

kiara
30-12-2008, 11:35 PM
I got my grant today and I was shocked and delighted at how much it covered! Anything I've collected on jumbletown that I won't need now will be passed on (on jumbletown of course!) thanks to everyone who has helped us and happy new year to all, Kiara xxxx

magiceight
06-01-2009, 03:28 AM
That's great news Kiara, thrilled for you :D
Happy New Year!

kiara
06-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Most of what went into my house was bought new as most of the furniture on here was too far away, I did try some of the craft ideas though and will post them on another thread but I think it's time to close this one, x