PDA

View Full Version : Community Composting?

Deoir
06-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi there,

We are going to be moving from a house to an apartment in Cork soon.
As such we won't have a garden anymore and therefore no more composter.

Does anyone know if there's a community composting facility somewhere in Cork that I could bring my bits and pieces from the garden to?

I know that there's a facility out in the dump but I'd say that the petrol burnt getting out there would probably add more carbon than what I'm trying to avoid and I'm not sure if they would take me seriously if I came in with my one small bag once a week!

I've seen community composters / wormeries in London and I think that it's a great idea but I don't know if there's any here.

Thanks.

Bettybooboopbedoop
06-12-2008, 11:07 PM
I don't know of anything like that. It would be a great idea though. Lots of people are in the same position as you. We take our neighbours cut grass, dead plants, kitchen compost etc for our own compost heaps and they are delighted. We are just fortunate enough to have a large enough garden to allow us this privilege. We find that people are only too willing, given the opportunity, to supply the raw materials. I hope you find a local neighbour or some method of help, not too far away from you. Good luck.

Moeby
11-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Hi, a few months ago our local Council (Westmeath CC) sent out notification of collecting composting bins where you could put all your peelings, cooked food, even cooked meat into for going to a general composting site. However, I have heard nothing since. Maybe we should put pressure on County Councils to provide these as like yourself many of us do not have the space to have composting areas. Might be worth contacting your local council to see if they have such a scheme going. You have spurred me to contact mine to see exactly what is happening on this front. Best of Luck.

Moeby
11-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Hi, a few months ago our local Council (Westmeath CC) sent out notification of collecting composting bins where you could put all your peelings, cooked food, even cooked meat into for going to a general composting site. However, I have heard nothing since. Maybe we should put pressure on County Councils to provide these as like yourself many of us do not have the space to have composting areas. Might be worth contacting your local council to see if they have such a scheme going. You have spurred me to contact mine to see exactly what is happening on this front. Best of Luck.

TheBear
12-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Dublin City Council have recently delivered brown bins to everyone, I believe, which take cooked food, some paper and garden waste. I'm not sure how they organise it for apartment blocks, though.