PDA

View Full Version : Repurposing baby food jars -- any ideas?

paprika
29-01-2009, 06:17 PM
I have a big bag of small baby food jars and would love to repurpose them. They just looked so cute, I didn't have the heart to throw them away... I kept the lids of most of them too.

Any ideas are very appreciated.

I saw on another thread they would make lovely lanterns with some glasspaint and wire.
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=31996

In the EasyFood magazine I saw you could put angel hair and sweets into them to make Christmas decorations.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
p

Stuarty
29-01-2009, 07:10 PM
This is a really basic idea but they are great for arts and crafts, if the lid is good you can use then to store supplies, buttons, glitter, foil coloured sprinkles, you take the paper off so you can see through and they stack too. If not they are just the right size for water for paintbrushes

lemencass
29-01-2009, 10:10 PM
kinda same idea as above but my friend screwed the lids to the underside of a shelf with bits and bobs pins and things painted on the outside.

bluecurlygirl
29-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Tea light holders? Fill with coloured sand? Bath salts or home made bath foam/moisturisers - something like that maybe.

jenniferalan
29-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Tea light holders? Fill with coloured sand? Bath salts or home made bath foam/moisturisers - something like that maybe.

wow that sounds gorgeous. Maybe u could collect sea shells and use them or corol (is that how u spell it, the really different sand) and lots of differnt sand colours.

You could also hold some for household things like buttons or if u have a daughter u could hold her clips/slides/go-gos

if they were big enough u could also use one to hold pens or maybe crayons/pencils.

I'm just thinking that 3 on the windowsill of the bathroom filled with blue sand and a seashell would be gorgeous!

ghendy
29-01-2009, 11:29 PM
HI there,
In our house we don't really use much jam, but always like to have a bit on standby, so what I do is when I make jam, I put some in little jars like that and just use them as I need them.

bluecurlygirl
29-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Somewhere in this clutter that is my home is a book called "natural remedies". It gives natural/herbal treatments for most common ailments and it also gives lots of ideas for face masks, moisturisers etc. If anyone would like a "recipe" for any of the stuff let me know and I'll look it up for you (if you're not in a hurry - lot to do this weekend). I thought maybe a few jars of that in the bathroom would look good too. I know there was a face mask with avocado in it. Make your own fancy labels for the jars too. Cover the lids with some material or paint them!

bluecurlygirl
29-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Do we all stay up late? Or is it just our creative juices start flowing at this hour when we have no other distractions? Anyone know who puts the "keep of the grass" sign there?........... I need sleep

bluecurlygirl
29-01-2009, 11:34 PM
HI there,
In our house we don't really use much jam, but always like to have a bit on standby, so what I do is when I make jam, I put some in little jars like that and just use them as I need them.

Love that idea ghendy. What about making sweets (if anyone has any novel shaped ice-cube trays) Melt chocolate and pour into the trays (i presume you'd have to butter them or something), leave to set and put into the jars for presents.

jenniferalan
29-01-2009, 11:34 PM
i always get creative at this time of the day, im def not a morning person! Emer that's actually a good idea for a small business creating ur own natural products... i love organic stuff like that

bluecurlygirl
29-01-2009, 11:41 PM
Hadn't thought of that Jennifer. Okay, none of ye can have any recipes now. If I tell you I must kill you!!!! Ha ha ha (in an evil tone!) Only kidding, the offer's still open.

jenniferalan
29-01-2009, 11:43 PM
mmm handmade chocolates, how delicious! im getting such a craving now lol

bluecurlygirl
30-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Yeah I know and I'm on a diet! Anyway, back to thread.... Night night everyone. Chat yis tomorrow.

jeana
30-01-2009, 12:58 AM
I use them for spices- you can buy big bags of spices very cheaply in ethnic stores and then I got cute labels from the kleeneze catalogue, then I put them all on a shelf in the press that has a glass door- it looks cool , like as though I'm a great cook-hmm, well I am if I put my mind to it- problem is with 6 kids it's often easier to stick to what you know they eat rather than experimenting---
Glass paint is lovely - you buy black stuff for the outline that makes it look like stained glass- I have a kinda porthole window at the front of the house- I made a lovely stained glass effect on the entire window- it's really lovely-- dont get those gel window stickers that you get in the art and hobby shop- they melt....I know from experience...zzzzzz....blah blah....zzzzzz off to bed---up at 7 with the kiddies...nighty nite
Jeana

paprika
30-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the lovely ideas!!

I have some glasspaint at home (hope it still works, haven't used it for years..), will do a few lanterns.

Like the spices idea, there is a gorgeous Indian shop in Tullamore where you can buy spices for really cheap, and it's great to store them this way. Sure I can make some labels for them too.

I like the seashell idea too, my bathroom is really plain lookin and have lots of shells hee, collecting only the dust. And will get a bag of corall from Ceathru Rua, that would look lovely!!

And just got a bread maker from my mother-in-law, and you can make jam in it, too. So I'll use a few for that.

Thank, thank you, I'm delighted!!

If anyone has more ideas they are very welcome!

Thanks,
p
:)

TanTan
31-01-2009, 11:34 AM
was ALLOWED into my father-in-laws shed one time and as the roof was fairly low he had screwed the lid of coffee jars etc to the beams and then he could screw/unscrew each jar filled with nuts bolts etc. Some of the jars had label like "1/4 inch" so he could find things easily.

gillo
31-01-2009, 12:12 PM
was ALLOWED into my father-in-laws shed one time and as the roof was fairly low he had screwed the lid of coffee jars etc to the beams and then he could screw/unscrew each jar filled with nuts bolts etc. Some of the jars had label like "1/4 inch" so he could find things easily.

That is a brilliant idea! I've lost count of the number of times hubby has gone to the shed looking for a particular sized screw and spent ages rooting and only finds them ages after a lot of cursing and swearing! Must tell him about this

bluecurlygirl
04-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Yes Tan-Tan, I love it. Brilliant idea. Someone mentioned it earlier too but I couldn't quite picture it. Now I can. Will be trying this out at home to free up valuable shelf space in the shed.

bluecurlygirl
04-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the lovely ideas!!

I have some glasspaint at home (hope it still works, haven't used it for years..), will do a few lanterns.

Like the spices idea, there is a gorgeous Indian shop in Tullamore where you can buy spices for really cheap, and it's great to store them this way. Sure I can make some labels for them too.

I like the seashell idea too, my bathroom is really plain lookin and have lots of shells hee, collecting only the dust. And will get a bag of corall from Ceathru Rua, that would look lovely!!

And just got a bread maker from my mother-in-law, and you can make jam in it, too. So I'll use a few for that.

Thank, thank you, I'm delighted!!

If anyone has more ideas they are very welcome!

Thanks,
p
:)

Wonderwoman - that's what you are. Little teething baby and you're gonna do all this. I would take my hat off to you if I had a hat. Good girl yourself. We want photos when it's all done please.