PDA

View Full Version : Farmers Market?

tasmin
04-02-2009, 05:09 PM
hi all.

i was listening to something on tv the other morning about cutting the cost of the household food budget.

they were talking about farmers markets and things like this and it got me thinking i might try this.

but i though i might check it out with all ye.

have any of you tried the farmers markets?
and is the meat, veg etc cheaper?
and if so, where do the markets be?

jesus i feel like a detective with all the questions lmao.

forgot to mention. i'm in dublin !

tas

3kidmum
04-02-2009, 05:41 PM
live in carrigaline and we have a farmers market on a friday morning . veg def cheaper and much fresher. they also do lots of home baking which isn't cheap but you could pass it off as your own to impress people!!!!

kiara
04-02-2009, 05:48 PM
I regularly visit the farmers market in Ennis, but only to buy delicious fair trade chocolate! :)
I find they're breads, jams, etc are expensive, the veg prices are fair for organic produce but still cheaper in aldi/lidl.
There used to be a lady there who made her own body creams she was fantastic and if anyone knows where she disappeared to please let me know! Kiara x

biker chick
04-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Hiya,there is one in Ballincollig Cork on a thursday morning & not 2 bad on prices & theres another one in Mahon point shopping center car park & the wide variety of homemade stuff is fab but is very expensive,but i love looking around & picking up a scone or a pie

xmillyx2007
04-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Where are you?
There's one in tallaght village saturday and sunday, veg is freasher but it can be expensive...

jenniferalan
04-02-2009, 10:50 PM
anyone know of a Farmer's Market in Galway?

Chris P
04-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Farmers' Markets around Ireland -- list:
http://www.bordbia.ie/aboutfood/farmersmarkets/Pages/default.aspx

Farmers' Markets in Dublin/Wicklow - list:
http://www.irishfarmersmarkets.ie/index.html

Rosrach
05-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Jennifer - if you are ever this way, there is one in Roscommon Town every friday morning

gillo
05-02-2009, 09:35 PM
There used to be a farmer's market in Mullingar every second Sunday in Harbour place car park, but I don't hear of it at all anymore. Just wondering if anyone knows if it has moved or if there is one somewhere else not too far away. The veg was always super and the home baking delicious!

jenniferalan
05-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Jennifer - if you are ever this way, there is one in Roscommon Town every friday morning

Thanks for that Rachel, would like to get food from the market, bet it's tastier.

Was anyone ever at the Market in Galway? It has mostly stalls selling clothes jewellery etc but they do have food. Was always walking so could never pick up anything! Will try get in there again soon and see what the food is like and what selection they have and hopefully ill be able to spread the word!

bluecurlygirl
06-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks for that Rachel, would like to get food from the market, bet it's tastier.

Was anyone ever at the Market in Galway? It has mostly stalls selling clothes jewellery etc but they do have food. Was always walking so could never pick up anything! Will try get in there again soon and see what the food is like and what selection they have and hopefully ill be able to spread the word!

If you're at the market in Galway go to the crepe stand and get yourself a "big mick" - if you're not vegitarian. Oh, I left Galway years ago and I still lament the crepes. Miss them so much. But generally the farmers markets are cheaper for veg & eggs. At ours there's a lady who does the most gorgeous beef & guinness pies, curries etc. Little bit expensive but divine. Home baking is expensive. We have a fish man too and even though you pay a little bit more, you get fish you don't get normally and it's just been caught that morning! Ya can't beat some fresh mussels or monkfish!

jenniferalan
06-02-2009, 02:56 PM
If you're at the market in Galway go to the crepe stand and get yourself a "big mick" - if you're not vegitarian.

Must try that lol

emmaj
06-02-2009, 03:33 PM
I usually find Farmers Markets a bit more expensive but the quality is usually much better plus there is always lots of yummy stuff. Recently though I've started buying all my veg and eggs at Newbarn Farm which is on the old Ashbourne Road near St Margarets. This place is way way cheaper than the supermarket and the veg lasts very well. Not all the stuff is grown on the farm but it is all sourced locally.

Proteavalley
06-02-2009, 07:12 PM
There is a farmers market in Naas every Saturday and also one in Temple Bar behind the ?Parliment Hotel off Parliment street this is also every Sat.

corker
07-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Hi all, I would be a regular visitor to Farmers' markets. Yes they can be expensive, but I think some things are worth it - tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers - the taste is incredible, as a family we would eat a load of these in the summer. Also I buy potatoes in large bags there. Definitely good value. I began buying there because I was tired of watery potatoes and cucumbers that tasted of soap! from the supermarkets.

I would agree with Tom Doorley though Farmers Markets need more farmers, there is only so much pesto that the world needs or can use. Also it is questionable where some of the stuff comes from, once I asked one of the stalls did she grow the lettuce and was told that they bought it in the supermarket, rinsed the leaves and bagged them and resold them!!! They could mark the prices and origin of the stuff clearly, because it is tiresome having to ask always how much the stuff is and it should be local produce, that is the point isnt' it?

I buy far less than I did in the early days at these markets - they can be hard on the pocket and the waistline. I bring all my bags - paper and plastic- for the producers.
Remember to look up Country Markets, these are different. You can also bring your glass jars to these markets for recycling.
Enjoy the market, you are lucky if you have one nearby
Corker

jenniferalan
08-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Hi guys, was in Athenry this morning and saw a sign up for a farmers market every Friday from 9.30 to 5.... just thought I'd spread the word

desv
19-09-2009, 06:52 PM
www.irishvillagemarkets.com

Hope this helps.

saoirsetom
19-09-2009, 07:03 PM
there is a farmers market in portlaoise every friday morning in the square, all local except the fish van drives up from wexford with fresh fish of that day, its a small gathering but worth the visit if your ever passing........

superkaytee
20-09-2009, 12:50 PM
there is a farmers market in fermoy from 10am till 4pm. Has some nice food in there and is a small car boot sale on the side.Its not bad.

TickTock
20-09-2009, 03:37 PM
The Farmers Market in Tallaght re-opened this year after a year closed. My own opinion is that it is not as good as it was but its in a much better position (between the library and the theatre). I am not sure that the fruit and veg is at all local, in fact I might put my money on it NOT being local. I find that upsetting because up to a year ago the fruit and veg was great. When I visited a couple of months ago a muffin was selling at around €3-€4. Now, I don't care how much chocolate chips are in it, or blueberries, this is a ridiculous price. I'd rather bake my own thank you very much. I think when entering a Farmers Market always bring your common sense, and don't be led by the artisan rip-off merchants. There should be more improvements made in Tallaght. Council should ask the customers for their feedback!

I've been to the Farmers Market in Marley Park, its on every Saturday and it is much better. There are still too few crafty stalls but there is a book-seller, butcher, bakers, fruit & veg, preserves etc. Also, artists, and I even saw a native American flogging some native American music cd's which sounded really great but I'd prefer live music instead of just playing the cds, there were tons of olives, a pizza stall and a crepes stall. The stall holders that I spoke to were extremely friendly and happy to give info or advice when asked. Also, there is a coffee shop just a few steps away and the park itself is gorgeous, as well as the Regency garden. I liked Marley Park better than Tallaght.

Sel
21-09-2009, 01:03 PM
yes, I go to the Kilternan country market, its brilliant. All the stuff HAS to be home made or home grown. its all fresh and usually the makers are there so they can tell you anything you need to know. Its only open a short time though - 10 until 12, on a saturday, so you have to be quick or all the good stuff is gone.

ambie
30-09-2009, 06:04 PM
all farmers markets are expensive grow your own veg keep your own chickens and buy whole sheep or pig at the farmers market and if you can't cook the cakes and pies.