PDA

View Full Version : Why are printers cheaper than cartridges?

Moeby
26-02-2009, 12:51 AM
Hi everyone, I went today to replace my ink cartridges for my printer (homework again, wonder how we managed without computers), Well I have a Cannon MP460 printer with scanner and all that, but when I wen to Aros to replace the cartridges, I discovered it was costing me almost E53 to replace, but there was another printer with exactly the same cartridges for E39.99. How does this make sense? It would be cheaper for me to but the completly new printer for E13 less and throw away the rest of the printer than to buy 2 new cartridges for my own printer. How does this make ecological sense???????? Am I just raving or does anyone else find the same.?? I paid more to replace my cartridges than a new printer would cost, check out the Argos catelogue.

jenniferalan
26-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Hi Moeby, I've noticed this before, it is scandulous and complete robbery!

Don't buy new cardridges but get the old ones re-filled! I live in Galway and have heard of a good few places that do this so there should be a few up ur way too. Think it's only 10e a cardridge and u are helping the environment!

TheBear
26-02-2009, 10:42 AM
I presume it's because most people won't actually buy the new printer each time they want the cartridges, and people will have to keep on buying the consumables once they have the hardware.

Cynical? Me?

smokeyeyes
26-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Completely agree with you. This drives me mad!! Price of refill cartridges approx €35 each = €70.........New printer €39.95. Makes no sense. Used to refill my own with kit from Tesco, but unfortunately it doesn't always work.

Jenniferalan, as regards getting cartridges refilled, i priced them in Cartridgeworld - they were only charging a few euros less than new cartridges!! Also not all printers will let you use refills in them. Next time I buy a printer I will definitely be buying one that lets you change just the colour that is missing. The problem with one colour cartridge refills is once one colour is gone the cartridge is no use, which is a complete waste.

adio
26-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Hi there I saw your thread and i also have a canon and buy all my cartridges from the uk on e bay some actual cannon make and also cannon compatibile which are just as good,try it it saves a fortune best regards Adi

Moeby
26-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks adio must look into this. I did use refil cartridges on an old printer once and didn't find them very good. Maybe I was just unlucky.

Big A
26-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Try 7dayshop.com I find them very reasonable

tasmin
26-02-2009, 10:12 PM
i totally agree with you!
i had to get cartriges for my printer and was disgusted to find that they were almost the same price as i paided for the printer.

J.A, i never realised you could have these cartriges refilled!!!
but i will certainly be looking into it!

tas

Moeby
26-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks Big A, never heard of this before, will try next time I am in need of cartridges.

xmillyx2007
27-02-2009, 12:08 AM
I have a printer but never use it don't need to at the minute...
But i am going to be doing a course soon and am glad i seen this tread as i didn't know cartridges were more expencive than printers but i'll sure be shopping around now...
thanks for the heads up...

Bubbles2
27-02-2009, 02:13 PM
I was curious about the prices of printers in relation to the cost of the cartridges also and I found out that (a) the cartridge which comes with the printer when you buy it first does not last very long as compared with the cartridges which you buy afterwards and (b) if you notice that the more expensive printers when it comes to replace the toners for them they work out much cheaper - so I came to the conclusion that the manufacturers sells the unit cheap but get their money back on the cartridges and if the unit is expensive they are satisfied then to sell the toners cheaply!!! Thats only my opinion though - others might not agree!!
B2

nanonano
27-02-2009, 02:44 PM
I remember reading somewhere that the average printer is around 100 euro and cartridges around 1500 euro for the lifetime of the printer.
That's the way companies make their money.
I buy my cartridges on Ebay, 10 euro compared to 25 in tesco.
I'm sure, if googled there must be a best value for money printer website somewhere.

seanp
02-03-2009, 01:48 AM
This might not be very green, but what I have heard of 'other people' doing is in Argos when you buy a printer you take out the insurance offered. When the printer stops working for you and DOES NOT PRINT you bring it back and they replace it no questions asked. Now you as a lay person who knows nothing about printers and computers need not concern yourself with why this happened you just know 'MY PRINTER DOES NOT WORK'.
Cheers
Sean

orca
02-03-2009, 11:01 PM
I like they way you think on that one.

I have a freind who does this with her christmas decorations for outside she gets them in argos with insurance and amazingly whenever her insurance is nearly up her lights always stop working or bits of them blow and she exchanges them for new ones. How unlucky is she that this always happens her

gillo
02-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Hmm, it would seem some of you on this thread are not half as green as you are cabbage looking LOL!

mcm2903
02-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Hi Moeby, I've noticed this before, it is scandulous and complete robbery!

Don't buy new cardridges but get the old ones re-filled! I live in Galway and have heard of a good few places that do this so there should be a few up ur way too. Think it's only 10e a cardridge and u are helping the environment!

Jenniferalan..if you could reccommend a few places in Galway that could do refills would be great.

I'm looking for an all in one (printer/scanner/copier) and the Canon MP140(Argos €39.99) is on top of my list.There's a HP one in Dunnes as well for €39.95.From my understanding,the ink catridges that come with a new printer is only a 'demo' and not a fully loaded one that you buy for €20+
Anyone can confirm this from experience?

Knecht
16-04-2009, 07:20 PM
I used to sell printers and yes you are right, they make the money from the cartridges. BUT be careful with the refills, some printers don't work so well on refills and if your computer is under warrenty some companys will not stand over it if you have used refills and something has gone wrong.
If you only need black and do a lot of printing, its better to go for a laser as they use toner and it will last far longer than the ink. It costs more to buy but not to replace the toner.

nono
17-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Jenniferalan..if you could reccommend a few places in Galway that could do refills would be great.

I'm looking for an all in one (printer/scanner/copier) and the Canon MP140(Argos €39.99) is on top of my list.There's a HP one in Dunnes as well for €39.95.From my understanding,the ink catridges that come with a new printer is only a 'demo' and not a fully loaded one that you buy for €20+
Anyone can confirm this from experience?

Hi MCM, We've an all-in-one that we bought a few years ago in PC World. We have all our cartridges refilled on the Tuam Road (Town Park Centre). So far, so good and fingers crossed, we've never had a problem with the printer or printing. Everything turns out perfect. Best Wishes, Nono

tash6987
10-03-2011, 05:13 PM
just been reading the posts, i almost had a fit when saw the prices to buy cartridges in the shops, so went searching on the net, i'm an ebay junkie have to admit, but bought my last lot of inks from www.inkclub.com, their inks do not affect guarentee of printer, and turned up 3 days after ordering, have just been look at another office supplier for other bits and pieces and have discovered they're even cheaper than the ones i just bought and their irish www.officespot.ie if your a member of pigsback.com like me, you can earn piggypoints on buying from both these sites as well!!

bings
21-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Have you tried viking direct I get mine there or from tesco own brand

afishyfish
31-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Printers which consume alot of ink are very cheap.
Economical printers are a little more expensive.
Enter your printer model number here to see how uneconomical it is
http://www.cartridgesave.co.uk/

Gormal
04-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Aldi sometimes get refill kits in at €6.99 I managed to get some a couple of weeks ago and used it with no probs in my canon.... well once you get past the printer complaining it can't read the ink levels....lol.
Having said that my canon printer is heading for replacement by a Kodak since the original cartridges are cheaper.

I used to get my ink from Valueshop.co.uk but lately have been using ebay for compatibles

melissabell
18-04-2011, 12:10 AM
Hiya,

My better half works in a printing company in Dublin and there are cartridges he gets for the family here that are half the price. if you don't buy the branded ones you get the same quality for way cheaper.
Also it can depend on your printer, his mum bought a new printer just because the cartridges for it were so much cheaper. I'll check if he minds me naming him and then he can hook you up :)
By the way he just works there and doesn't earn commission so that's not why I'm telling you lol :)