PDA

View Full Version : on a tight budget! 2

minnie pal
10-05-2009, 05:41 AM
bathroom: side of bath got cracked and broken by the plumber. MDF sized and wallpaper sealed with car spray varnish, many coats of spray. People thought this wouldnt work with the water etc. Still as good as new, same wallpaper behind toilet and also on the basket, which was very messy, that was heatsealed in a stationary shop.
Basket was ancient and I cut off all the bits hanging off and gave it a varnish of darker colour.
Bathroom is my joy.
Tiles from Cheapcycle network.
Patience is a virtue!!!

bb10
10-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Welldone - great ideas, you are very creative!

Belarus
10-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Well done Minnie Pal. Great ideas and looks brilliant.

nono
10-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Another gorgeous job, well done Minnie Pal

BiddyL
14-05-2009, 12:24 AM
HI Minnie, bsolutely fab job. Oh to be creative. Wouldn't know where to start.

Eily
14-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Hi Minnie,
I love it all, Great job, and fabulous imagination!
Good on you ;)
Eily

minnie pal
14-05-2009, 08:56 AM
The wicker basket just needed 'hair trim' and a lick of dark stain and the mat cut from the wallpaper was done using a tracing paper template and taken to a stationers, they heatsealed it with A4 folder, that had to be trimmed back.
The side of bath was hard work but doable.
Measure, get hardware store, with a lot of flirtatious laughter, they may even find a suitalbe 'offcut' which they did in my case, IBS Dun Laoghaire.
MDF has to be sealed with sealant, just ask which at the hardware store but I knew cos I used MDF as an artist, use many lashings of sealent, any ole way, no care needed there.
Wallpaper and spray with transparent car varnish from any car retailers (one opposite the Fire Station down a side road near bakers corner or one at the bottom of York Rd Dun Laoghaire) spray about a foot and a bit away and spray finely, dont labour in one spot, wait to dry and repeat, at least six times.
Trim with beading and paint with a 'pot sampler', NEVER throw away pot samplers. I used same for painting the exposed pipes etc in my bathroom.
the mount was done at a framers in Stillorgan, they thought it was a great idea and never came across it before and were amazed. I wouldnt attempt that myself, it has to look good.
Frames, charity shops, and Acrylic Artist paint, one tube and gold paint, one tube. That just takes patience, match one colour with what you use in the wallpaper, go with the flow of the frames you get.
Mine were black with gold inset so I touched up the gold and painted the black a red/burgandy colour, very slow work but worth it.
'No pain, no gain'
the small mosaic tile sheets I used in an inch trim were expensive so I only bought the bare minimum, beading varnished the same stain colour of the wicker basket was used around the inch mosaic trim over the arch dividing sink from rest of bathroom, oh it was an, er, square arch!
the wallpaper used on either side of the one on the back of the toilet was that cheap rough paper from Woodies.
you have to think of costs ALL the time.
Nothing need be expensive for a good look.
just touch expense here and there to bumf up your overall effect.
I have one or two other items in this bathroom I will post.

Eily
14-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Brilliant - you put an awful lot of hard work in, but the end result is just fabulous - very unique too. No-one in the world has a bathroom the same! :)
Congrats again
Eily

unapam
14-05-2009, 05:29 PM
You missed your calling (unless your calling is interior design) Love it!