PDA

View Full Version : Bird Bath

Bubbles2
28-05-2009, 07:59 PM
I was lucky enough to get this lovely bird bath from upthedubs (thank you A) and unapam encouraged me!! to do a before and after so here goes!!

Isabeau
28-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Well Done B2. it looks fabulous :)

The Mammy
28-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Wow, what a difference, that's excellent. : )

Eily
28-05-2009, 09:10 PM
That's really lovely and you'll have the added enjoyment of watching the birds feed!
Good job. Congrats. Enjoy.
Eily

taraoreilly
28-05-2009, 09:20 PM
that is brill well done tara

smokeyeyes
28-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Well done Bubbles, it looks great. I've been longing for a bird bath feeder for ages now. Have a few bird feeders around my back garden and get lots of them at mealtimes every day. Is that bread scraps in the net? If it is great idea, I usually grind them up and sprinkle round the garden, unfortunately had to stop as it was encouraging unwanted little visitors ! Have to rob your idea :)

Bubbles2
28-05-2009, 09:54 PM
thank you for all your lovely comments, smokeyeyes I had the same problem with the vermin and the crows (I know they are still god's creatures) but I love watching the beautiful small birds in the garden

minnie pal
28-05-2009, 09:59 PM
fantastic, when (?) I get my patch the bird bath is a MUSt. This is a fabulous one, so unusual.
Just check with BirdWatch Ireland about bread at this time of year when the birds have young cos it can swell or get caught in the gullet, I think I remember them saying that when I was a member years ago (in a past life)
minniepal

Bubbles2
28-05-2009, 10:34 PM
fantastic, when (?) I get my patch the bird bath is a MUSt. This is a fabulous one, so unusual.
Just check with BirdWatch Ireland about bread at this time of year when the birds have young cos it can swell or get caught in the gullet, I think I remember them saying that when I was a member years ago (in a past life)
minniepal

I never thought of that - I must check it out thanks minnie pal, I had those one's made with fat and the crows ate them all - they were gone in a matter of minutes!!

smokeyeyes
28-05-2009, 11:19 PM
thank you for all your lovely comments, smokeyeyes I had the same problem with the vermin and the crows (I know they are still god's creatures) but I love watching the beautiful small birds in the garden

LOL might be all God's creatures Bubbles, but I wish they'd stick to their own patch. Yeah me too, love sitting having my breakfast and watching the feeders full of different varieties of birds. Have a little robin family that's been coming back to my garden for years now and blue tits. Hate the crows ( and I live at the back of a Rookery full of them !! ) BUT they didn't touch my fat balls (must have been wrong flavour for them haha! )

Bubbles2
29-05-2009, 02:11 PM
LOL might be all God's creatures Bubbles, but I wish they'd stick to their own patch. Yeah me too, love sitting having my breakfast and watching the feeders full of different varieties of birds. Have a little robin family that's been coming back to my garden for years now and blue tits. Hate the crows ( and I live at the back of a Rookery full of them !! ) BUT they didn't touch my fat balls (must have been wrong flavour for them haha! )

My mother-in-law RIP use to have a little robin that came into her kitchen for scraps! Wish I had your 'wrong flavour' of fat balls for my garden smokeyeyes!! ;p

unapam
29-05-2009, 02:38 PM
I knew it would turn out well. Fab job!

Bunty
29-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Inspiring, well done. B.

Linn
29-05-2009, 06:15 PM
great job, well done.
Regards Linn

upthedubs
29-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Wow it looks brillant CAN I HAVE IT BACK NOW LOL

Bubbles2
29-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Wow it looks brillant CAN I HAVE IT BACK NOW LOL

Thanks again guys - and upthedubs - you can come down and have a closer look its staying put lol ;p

smokeyeyes
29-05-2009, 08:17 PM
My mother-in-law RIP use to have a little robin that came into her kitchen for scraps! Wish I had your 'wrong flavour' of fat balls for my garden smokeyeyes!! ;p

Bubbles, I think my 'wrong flavour' fat balls came from € shop LOL

One of my cheeky little robins has hopped into my kitchen when I was sitting having a cup of coffee, they really are quite tame compared to other varieties of birds.

Bubbles2
29-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Bubbles, I think my 'wrong flavour' fat balls came from € shop LOL

One of my cheeky little robins has hopped into my kitchen when I was sitting having a cup of coffee, they really are quite tame compared to other varieties of birds.

Thanks for that smokeyeyes I am off to the € shop tomorrow first thing - I am so jealous of you having a little cute visitor like that!!

TanTan
30-05-2009, 10:45 AM
was in Portlaoise Heatons and my daughter spotted those plastic tubes with four little openings and each having a little plastic leg for the bird to sit on for 50 cent. In the pet shop the food was pretty expensive in the bags, so I asked the girl any cheaper alternative and she said cheap peanuts from Tesco and thats what we did. Took a week for the birds to know its there but its fantastic. Well worth the money as the birds are fed and kids are amused.......

Well done on the revamp, amazing........

smokeyeyes
30-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Just a little note to all you bird lovers. If any of you travel up to Newry for shopping, there's a pet superstore just after you go under the bridge entering Newry on left hand side (beside tile store). It's great value for pet food of all kinds. The bird seed (for wild birds, budgies etc.) is sold loose from big bins, you just help yourself to how much you need and it's a fraction of the price in pet shops. I was up that way in March and got big bags of feed for wild birds and my daughters budgie, treats and toys for his cage, fat balls, treats for dog and couple of other items, cost = £10 !! And with the currance exchange only worked out under €11. Brilliant value, and still have seeds left. You'd be lucky to get smaller bags of seeds for that price in pet shop or supermarket.

tasmin
30-05-2009, 03:24 PM
well done!
you did a great job on the bird bath.

it looks fab!

tas

Bubbles2
30-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks again you guys- just to let you know if anyone is ever around Naas, there is a warehouse clearance store where 2 Seasons use to be and I got a load of different kinds of bird feed they are €1.99 each also hammocks €50 all things to do with the garden etc going cheap (sorry Chris if I am breaking any rules here!!) B2

Bubbles2
30-05-2009, 05:35 PM
was in Portlaoise Heatons and my daughter spotted those plastic tubes with four little openings and each having a little plastic leg for the bird to sit on for 50 cent. In the pet shop the food was pretty expensive in the bags, so I asked the girl any cheaper alternative and she said cheap peanuts from Tesco and thats what we did. Took a week for the birds to know its there but its fantastic. Well worth the money as the birds are fed and kids are amused.......

Well done on the revamp, amazing........

Thats amazing good value TanTan - will have a look in there - I am thinking of putting up sign posts for the birds - anyone able to speak birdy language!!!

Bubbles2
11-06-2009, 01:47 PM
I am now sitting back enjoying the view of my bird bath and the birds feeding - actually spotted parents feeding one of their young from the bird feeder which was really amazing!!

mweir
15-06-2009, 05:36 PM
well done. that is a great job. isn't it lovely to restore some things that may otherwise have been in the scrap heap.

baileyqueen
15-06-2009, 07:40 PM
they say you should not let out peanuts during the summer as the parents take bits of them back to their young and they choke on it and my pet shop owner said you should really only feed birds in the winter they find their own in the summer

wells
15-06-2009, 07:50 PM
that is way cooler than a standalone bird bath, never seen one like that before -
excellent restoration job x

Bubbles2
15-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Thank you mweir - yes I got a great kick out of sitting back and admiring my handywork!!

Baileyqueen - nuts are safe enough as long as they are fed through a wire mesh feeder and are ideally fed in spring and summer - got this and more from the bird watch ireland website

wells - thank you yes it is a lovely piece and all thanks to upthedubs for giving it to me!

baileyqueen
15-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Thank you mweir - yes I got a great kick out of sitting back and admiring my handywork!!

Baileyqueen - nuts are safe enough as long as they are fed through a wire mesh feeder and are ideally fed in spring and summer - got this and more from the bird watch ireland website

wells - thank you yes it is a lovely piece and all thanks to upthedubs for giving it to me!
o thats great to know that thanks for the information and enjoy the bird bath its really cool amazing what can be done with things

Bubbles2
15-06-2009, 08:40 PM
o thats great to know that thanks for the information and enjoy the bird bath its really cool amazing what can be done with things

Its a bril site - it was minnie pal who actually told me about it and its a really lovely site to visit! I have got so much enjoyment from this bird bath its amazing!!
B2

minnie pal
04-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Hi there bubbles, i am curious to know who you are as i introduced you to this site, according to your good self, will you PM me and let me know who bubbles is!!
xxminnie pal.

Bubbles2
07-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi there bubbles, i am curious to know who you are as i introduced you to this site, according to your good self, will you PM me and let me know who bubbles is!!
xxminnie pal.

PM sent

colmsmum
15-07-2009, 11:26 AM
It looks great, well done.

Bubbles2
18-07-2009, 04:00 PM
It looks great, well done.

Thanks colmsmum!
B2

Etana
18-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Thats a great birdbath, well done on restoration. I have had a container of water for the birds for years and its amazing the number of birds who visit it each day, but its on the ground and I have had unwanted visitors (vermin) this week and the cheeky b*****s were out there in daylight eating some pea seeds that I had dropped. (though glad I spotted it). Pestcontroller told me to get rid of water on ground so need a raised bird bath.

minnie pal
18-07-2009, 10:02 PM
thanks for that info, Etann, oh, have i got that right? its the patio person here ok!
My bird bath is on the ground until i can find a fallen tree trunk which i can use as a base. I must lift it off now you mention it will attract vermin.
my main prob is the whole population of dun laoghaire starlings are visiting every time i put out fat balls and i think frigthtening the sparrows away. No sign of any other birds here, like blue tits and all that breed of small birds, I want em but none seem to be in locality. would so love to see em.
xx patio pal.

Bubbles2
19-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Thats a great birdbath, well done on restoration. I have had a container of water for the birds for years and its amazing the number of birds who visit it each day, but its on the ground and I have had unwanted visitors (vermin) this week and the cheeky b*****s were out there in daylight eating some pea seeds that I had dropped. (though glad I spotted it). Pestcontroller told me to get rid of water on ground so need a raised bird bath.

Thanks Etana, I love the birdbath and have never seen one like this before or since then!!!