PDA

View Full Version : Treadmill Singer Sewing Machine

JmblTwnr
03-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Hi All;

I finally finished this renovation project and would like to share with all of you this happy moment which comes after two and half months of daily part-time work on this project...

I got this sewing machine from a nice person on DublinWaste, and did my best to renovate it with as little cost as possible:

The wood is originally a computer disk from JumbleTown, most of tools and materials are either free or from nice persons who provided me with voutures from DIY shops which was a great help to buy missing/required material that no way to be secured from JumbleTown...

And regarding tools, I just used electric jegsaw and electric sanding machine... wood glue, nails and screws... so nothing complicated...

I do not want to make this a long reading, so thanks for all who participated and helped in making this project possible, and hope all JumbleTowners will be encouraged to renovate more and more things and share us the creative work...
Photos in this post = Before...
Photos in post below = After...

JmblTwnr
03-06-2009, 11:13 PM
After Renovation:

JmblTwnr
03-06-2009, 11:15 PM
last photo :)

sleepykitty
03-06-2009, 11:18 PM
What a fantastic job you've done.

Bibi
03-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Only one word - AMAZING. Well done on this truly wonderful project.

Bibi.

Don
03-06-2009, 11:24 PM
unbelievable :)

cavangirl
03-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Wow What A Brill Job You Done On Your Sewing Machine. Excellent Job Keep Up The Good Work.

jenniferalan
03-06-2009, 11:27 PM
I have to say that I think this is the most amazing transformation I've seen on this website. Well done its fab, u must b so proud. Please give a step to step on how u did it :)

Chris P
03-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Incredible work, JmblTwnr. Thanks for sharing!

Regards
Chris p
Admin

snorry
04-06-2009, 07:18 AM
wow its amazing well done

keno
04-06-2009, 07:51 AM
wow thats fantastic

susie1
04-06-2009, 07:59 AM
that is really great. what sort of paint did you use?
does it still sew by any chance?

Mickey
04-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Absolutely STUNNING! That is truly a labour of love. Well done!

JmblTwnr
04-06-2009, 09:05 AM
More info:

I needed to take all measurements from old wood, it took me so much time figuring out correct old measurements, I was amazed by how precise measurements you need to correctly design the wood work...

I can imagine the amount of engineering done by original Singer company when they first designed this sewing machine...

So wood work took the most of time, metal work was easy as just removing old paint and rust and then repainting it with: paint base + gold color + varnish

Wood work needed most of the time, I used polish bought from Lidl last year and used Ronseal clear gloss varnish to finish the job...

All wood skearting is from B&Q and does not cost a lot... maybe about 20 euros...

All parts move correctly in this sewing machine, i still did not try it, it might need some little calibration in worst case, but i do not have any doubt it will sew more and more now...

I will try it soon and update you JumbleTowners :)

Best Regards;

Keith

unapam
04-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Just awsome! What a fabulous item. Well done!

hackytza
04-06-2009, 03:22 PM
This is unbelievable. Amazing work !!!

unapam
04-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Quote....."All parts move correctly in this sewing machine, i still did not try it, it might need some little calibration in worst case, but i do not have any doubt it will sew more and more now..."

It will probably just need the tension adjusted and a good oiling. There is a shop in Talbot Street, Dublin that serviced mine. Again...amazing result!

MrX
04-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Thank you unapam, i will check with that shop, if you remember shop name this would be great.
cheers

bluecurlygirl
05-06-2009, 12:09 AM
That is fantastic. What a brilliant job. And what a stunning piece to have in your home. Well done. You must be very proud.

unapam
05-06-2009, 08:02 AM
I think it is just called The Sewing Machine Shop. It is directly opposite Guiney's in Talbot St. Good luck with it.

penelope
05-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Did you need to replace the belt if so where did you get it. You have golden hands thats a work of art-well done.

JmblTwnr
05-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Thank you all, actually i was very afraid the original belt will not fit as I replaced all the original wooden table with a new one and as expected, new table thickness and measures will have some effect on ability of belt to fit in... but thanks God thngs went fine and original belt got fitted perfectly...

But its still a good question: from where to get a new leather belt in case original one got worn and not useable any more?! if any one knows then please tell us...

I would like to add another things to this sewing machine, i am thinking of a metal chair with antique design, I can imagine it in golden color to match sewing table frame and maybe some golden coutions... any ideas are welcomed :)

Cheers...

Sissi
05-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Wow, Keith! Wondeful! I do some sewing myself. This machine is a dream!!

Bubbles2
05-06-2009, 08:43 PM
What a lovely piece of work - well done take a bow!!!
B2

lira
08-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Well done! What a great achievement!

unapam
08-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Thank you all, actually i was very afraid the original belt will not fit as I replaced all the original wooden table with a new one and as expected, new table thickness and measures will have some effect on ability of belt to fit in... but thanks God thngs went fine and original belt got fitted perfectly...

But its still a good question: from where to get a new leather belt in case original one got worn and not useable any more?! if any one knows then please tell us...

I would like to add another things to this sewing machine, i am thinking of a metal chair with antique design, I can imagine it in golden color to match sewing table frame and maybe some golden coutions... any ideas are welcomed :)

Cheers...

You should be able to get a replacement belt on Ebay. Good luck.

Karolankan
30-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Well done. Granny Russell would be so proud of you!! I spent hours as a very small child watching Granny making "cushions for the Missions". She was always happiest when she was working with her singer sewing machine. :-))

AKO5
30-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Wow - Is All I Can Say- Well Done

elbo
08-07-2009, 08:06 AM
In one word "WOW".
Absolutely fantastic job.
Beautiful piece.
Well done.

melissabell
08-07-2009, 07:50 PM
I can't believe what you've done with it!!! I got a Singer machine from a fellow jumbletowner in Ennis that i wanted as a hall table. the metal is very plain i love how ornate yours is!. I just sanded it down varnished and gave the metal a lick of black paint and some wood glue. I was so chuffed i was going to put it up here. Soooo glad i didn't now! u've put me to shame this is really amazing.

The colouring works so well. I got my machine up and running again about 2 bottles of wd40 later lol!!!

Really well done it's really amazing! Put it in full view!!!!

minnie pal
09-07-2009, 11:06 PM
This is a very well shared renovation. I really enjoyed looking at the pics and all you have to say. Perserverance certainly pays!!!!
thanks for putting it on for us.
minnie pal

JmblTwnr
09-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Thank you all for all your kind words, it encourages me more to renovate other things, what i am dreaming about at this moment is renovating one of those very old turn table with that large copper cone, those very classic old turn tables... so if some one has one of those and does not want it for some reason then please allow me to renovate it... :)

I am also willing to give ideas and help others with ideas from all the experience i got through renovating this singer sewing machine...

Bubbles2
10-07-2009, 10:11 AM
A real show stopper - well done its a gorgeous piece!!
B2

Moony
11-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Absolutely amazing..... Does it acutually work as a sewing machine I'd love to know? I think that is just wonderful... fair play to you and well done

buzzbee
11-07-2009, 03:24 PM
WOW! you given us all hope and shown us to be patient with our own projects.superb work and your passion shows.

colmsmum
15-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Wow! Absolutely amazing transformation, it's stunning, you must be so proud. Congrats.

Etana
18-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Hi, your woodworking skills are amazing, was the original wood rotten. Would love one of these old tables for singer sewing machine. I have the machine but not the table. Well done.
Etana

JmblTwnr
18-07-2009, 09:35 PM
thank you all for your nice words, very appreciated...
The original wooden table was in very bad conditon, the wood was rotten and you just feel like you want to scratch your self whenever you touch it, alot of small bugs living there :D...! at first i wanted to keep th eoriginal wood but as it was in very bad condition so i decided to get rid of original wood and start from scratch, the new wood is of great heavy quality and sometimes many jegsaw blades broke while cutting the wood for how hard the new wood is...! but after all its worth it.

pinkieschick
20-07-2009, 07:20 PM
you are so talented - well done

Sinamo
29-07-2009, 06:37 PM
looks fabulous

the young one
30-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Where's the Late Late Restoration Show when ya need it???

mammysboy2k9
30-07-2009, 11:00 PM
ASTONISHING.......spectacular work well done keep up the good work

biker chick
08-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Thank you all for all your kind words, it encourages me more to renovate other things, what i am dreaming about at this moment is renovating one of those very old turn table with that large copper cone, those very classic old turn tables... so if some one has one of those and does not want it for some reason then please allow me to renovate it... :)

I am also willing to give ideas and help others with ideas from all the experience i got through renovating this singer sewing machine...

Hi Jmbltwnr i just got a hand singer sewing machine from another jt`r & i was told it was well over a hundred years old,theres a little bit of work to do to it so when i get the chance i will take some photos of it & maybe people can help me as i wouldnt have a clue where to start or how to restore it,thanks a million bikerchick

tigerlilly.100
04-10-2009, 10:03 AM
My God,l that's STUNNING!!!

GuinnessGirl
04-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Brilliant job.....better than new IMO! Well done!

JmblTwnr
04-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Hi Jmbltwnr i just got a hand singer sewing machine from another jt`r & i was told it was well over a hundred years old,theres a little bit of work to do to it so when i get the chance i will take some photos of it & maybe people can help me as i wouldnt have a clue where to start or how to restore it,thanks a million bikerchick

Hi Biker Chick;
Sory for th elate reply as i did not check this thread for a long time...
I will be happy to help you with ideas renovating your singer Sewing machine
and i hope you will enjoy doing the work...
Cheers;

mammysboy2k9
05-10-2009, 10:44 PM
absolutely fantastic keep up the good work!!

gilmoregirl
06-10-2009, 07:13 AM
Hi what can I say that is gorgeous
jules

JmblTwnr
30-10-2009, 10:55 PM
yes, i see your points, but i had to change the original colors as they were very faded and the golden decoration was almost gone from many parts of the sewing machine...! I would love to find similar decorations as decals to use them for the sewing machine again

Thanks for your opinion :)

Bill_D
08-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Hiya, that's n ot called a restoration, that's called magic, you did a fantastic job there, well done.

Regards

Bill

P.S.
I've a wee blanket like the one in the before pics, (totally useless info there lol)

Jumbles
18-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Wow, it's beautiful! I'm amazed.

I had my great Aunt's Singer, similar to yours and always wanted to restore it but never had the time. I finally gave in and passed it on on Jumbletown about a year ago. I would love to think it was lovingly restored like yours!
:)

Well done!

64moog
04-01-2010, 08:24 PM
More info:

I needed to take all measurements from old wood, it took me so much time figuring out correct old measurements, I was amazed by how precise measurements you need to correctly design the wood work...

I can imagine the amount of engineering done by original Singer company when they first designed this sewing machine...

So wood work took the most of time, metal work was easy as just removing old paint and rust and then repainting it with: paint base + gold color + varnish

Wood work needed most of the time, I used polish bought from Lidl last year and used Ronseal clear gloss varnish to finish the job...

All wood skearting is from B&Q and does not cost a lot... maybe about 20 euros...

All parts move correctly in this sewing machine, i still did not try it, it might need some little calibration in worst case, but i do not have any doubt it will sew more and more now...

I will try it soon and update you JumbleTowners :)

Best Regards;

Keith

Hi keith
Does your machine stitch correctly, do you still have the bobbin and bobbin case, and what kind of hook assembly does it have, i used to repair and build sewing machines in the rag trade about 15 years ago and still tinker a bit

denkarma
04-01-2010, 08:48 PM
yes, i see your points, but i had to change the original colors as they were very faded and the golden decoration was almost gone from many parts of the sewing machine...! I would love to find similar decorations as decals to use them for the sewing machine again.
Singer have a website and if you check the serial number they will show you the model , year for your machine. They also supply decals and parts for nearly every machine they ever made.

JmblTwnr
05-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Thank you for your comments and ideas, very appreciated...

I have all parts for this sewing machine complete and in perfect condition...

I still did not try to operate it, but do not have dopt it will work perfectly and in worse case it will need some little calibration and no more...

I should try to operate it sooner or later, but its just that i am usually very busy with many other things...

Best Regards and Happy New Year to all
Keith

mickey mouse
08-01-2010, 02:35 PM
can i b brazen and ask if it works

JmblTwnr
08-01-2010, 03:12 PM
I checked out the model for this machine, and found its:
Singer 15-30 (old style 15 class) which go back to years 1895 to 1933.

And as the serial number on the machine is: F527619
So I found out it was manufactured in between the years: 1910 & 1920.

Here are great site for Vintage Singer Sewing Machines:
http://www.ismacs.net/home.html
http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa012400a.htm

The decal is called: Tiffany or Gingerbread decal, check this:
http://www.treadleon.net/oldtreadleonia/university/museum/decals/decals.html

I am trying to find out a place to buy such decal from.

JmblTwnr
09-01-2010, 06:35 PM
tudlytops, you have a magnificant piece of furniture for sure, its worthy all your efforts to restore it to its perfect state... :)

Eily
19-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Wow - wow - Wow
Excellent job - looks fabulous.
Very well done.

cleanup
10-10-2010, 08:21 PM
this is a work of art. The old singers are really beautiful.

Clareboy
05-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Fantastic job, you are genuinely talented.... Keep up the good work.

mollie bain
07-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Fantastic Well Done

lissy-bee
10-11-2010, 09:25 PM
This is excellent. I would love to know where you picked up the original machine from.

rangemaster5000
11-11-2010, 01:34 PM
hows things? just wondering i have a singer foot pedal and what i think is a capacitor is gone. its a dubilier 0.1 uF +- 25% 250v 50~ WKG RJ. is this just to stop interference? it seems to work allright still just wondering though. thanks.

JmblTwnr
11-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Thank you all, I got this machine for 50e from buyandsell...
Its worth a lot for me now :)

JmblTwnr
11-11-2010, 01:38 PM
hows things? just wondering i have a singer foot pedal and what i think is a capacitor is gone. its a dubilier 0.1 uF +- 25% 250v 50~ WKG RJ. is this just to stop interference? it seems to work allright still just wondering though. thanks.

I do not have any experience in these RangeMaster, maybe someone with electronics knowledge can help...

galaxy74
12-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Thats an amazing job! well done!

evlyn13
21-10-2011, 05:52 AM
I can say just WOOOOWWWW. I never ever seen such a brilliant work, congratulations