PDA

View Full Version : Debate: Animals On JumbleTown

Dave Hagan
31-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Hi Everyone,

Currently members are prohibited from giving away animals/unwanted pets on JumbleTown.

We would, however, welcome the views of our members on this issue.

Should all animals be prohibited?

Should there be exceptions (e.g. birds or fish)?

Regards,
Dave Hagan,
(Admin)

Southside
01-04-2006, 02:17 PM
I have to admit, I personally don't have a problem with members giving away pets on JumbleTown, especially if the alternative is putting the animal to sleep.

After all, you often see ads in the papers offering pets to good homes.

Brand
22-04-2006, 03:49 AM
i've no problem with animals on jumbletown.
seems like an ideal place to 'give' & 'take' without too much hassle.

Brand.

PS anyone wanna wabbit? only joking! Roger's a big part of my life.

jody
10-06-2006, 01:23 PM
I dont think that any aniaml should be given away on jumble town, if someone really wants a pet contact your local dog pound or SPCA if people are trying to get rid of a pet visit visit www.irishanimals.ie, or contact a local aniaml group at least this way home checks and back ground checks can be done, with the growth of dog fighting wouldnt you like to know who you are giving your animal away to, and by giving it away you are giving it's life no value if someone really wants an animal they would be willing to pay a small fee, it's a life your dealing with not an object

Dave Hagan
10-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Thanks for your post jody, some good points.

Regards
Dave Hagan
Admin

plato
11-06-2006, 10:05 AM
I agree with Jodie. There is enough 'trafficking' of animals going on as it is.
I got good homes for all five of our puppies by putting an ad in the vets.
The vet only give to good homes and can spot who is a genuine animal lover and who isn't. Leave it to the exprets.
Ps. an animal is for life - not just for christmas.

Ross23
22-06-2006, 01:57 AM
i think you should be able 2 post exotic pets eg reptiles, spiders, snakes.

there is no pound you can bring unwanted lizards to so they end up gettin neglected or flushed down the tiolet.
jumbletown should let this be.

jody
22-06-2006, 04:04 PM
the DSPCA does have a reptile section and does take in unwanted and abandoned reptiles to rehome, they also have a bredding programme, irishanimals.com also provides a section for reptiles, there is also a reptile club that you could get in touch with Peter ward retile help line 0872262683 , reptiles are not the sort of pet someone should take on with out knowing every thing about them, this is why there are so many unwanted reptiles they are so easily available and people dont realise how hard they are to keep so if you are passing on a reptile wouldnt you want to know that it is going to a capable person that know the food and conditions needed

Ardnek
22-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Please please don't go down the route of allowing pets to posted as this just perpetuates the idea that pets are as disposable as pots and pans. Perhaps pin a thread with links to http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?act=idx or Irishanimals as well as rescues etc for people needing to rehome pets.

Castle
22-06-2006, 06:56 PM
Ok that kind of thing makes me very angry why should birds and fish be less important than other pets??? If anything fish are the hardest animals to transport safely. Many larger birds are more intelligent than dogs, all pets should be seen under the same light.
If anyone doesn't want their pet they should go through proper channels and ask advice of one of the many rescues out there, rescues may not be able to take in the animal but they can offer advice to the owner on how to rehome it, what to look for in the new home etc.
Too many puppy farmers and back yard small animal and bird breeders out there that use free ads as their way to advertise..too risky in my book.

If animals are put up for sale here I will un register.

However a link to rescues in Ireland would be helpful to point people in the right direction, animal housing could be sold but a ban on the sale of round bird cages and round fish bowls would be great (in an ideal world).

Mrs Doyle
22-06-2006, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=Castle] all pets should be seen under the same light.
If anyone doesn't want their pet they should go through proper channels and ask advice of one of the many rescues out there, rescues may not be able to take in the animal but they can offer advice to the owner on how to rehome it, what to look for in the new home etc.
Too many puppy farmers and back yard small animal and bird breeders out there that use free ads as their way to advertise..too risky in my book.

If animals are put up for sale here I will un register.

Have to agree. All animals should be granted the same protection. Selling animals on the internet is not very responsible. There are resources available to people who no longer want their pets. Most rescue groups and individuals who help animals are listed on www.irishanimals.ie People need to be responsible about rehoming their animals, regardless of what it is.

By making animals available on this site, they are being treated as little more than unwanted items instead of living, breathing, feeling animals.

berni
22-06-2006, 09:25 PM
No I totally disagree with offering anything like pets on a site like this. There are lunatics out there that will take a pet and how on earth can they be home checked. There is enough abuse of animals out there without offering them to "anyone" for free. There are rescues out there for all types of rescues including rabbits and fish. Please make it against the rules to do so. Other sites like e-bay do not allow this. I have never seen any on other freebiy sites eg the freecycle sites, its just not ethical. Here is another site

www.petsireland.invisionzone.com as well as the www.irishanimals.ie site are great.

berni
22-06-2006, 09:37 PM
I would say this site would get some very bad publicity if animals were one of the the recyclable things on it! I for one will un register also. I feel that it would attract a "certain type" of person...if someone wants an animal let them go through the channels if they have nothing to hide.

As regard giving reptiles away jeez get a life please, my 11 year old and his mates would be signing up and getting some of the bigger lads to collect and then where would we be, ??and thats only my son :(

majella
22-06-2006, 10:08 PM
I would totally object to animals being on Jumble town, but links to the many good organisations who check out people and homes before they get the animals/birds/fish would be a great idea
Majella

Mrs Doyle
22-06-2006, 11:21 PM
especially if the alternative is putting the animal to sleep.

There are far worse things for an animal than a humane passing. Ireland has a terrible record with regard to animals. We produce far more than we have good homes for. Our legislation is dreadful and public awareness is very poor. People need to be responsible, these are living creatures not inanimate "items". There are other resources out there available for people who no longer want their animals. A recycling website is not the place to do this. I would appeal to the people running this site not to allow this. This site is a great resource and I would hate to see it demeaned.

saluki
23-06-2006, 02:18 AM
I am one of those people that clean up after these animals are passed around, I run a small rescue and would hate to see animals given away like this.

If anybody is looking for a dog/cat/horse/small critter please contact your local Rescue or Pound they have plenty of unwanted and needy cases.

A Reputable Rescue will have a chat with you and advise you as what type of dog would suit you and will provide backup and advice.

Same goes if anybody needs to get an animal rehomed/relocated, contact your local rescue.

And please remember if you give your dog to the local pound it may be PTS that day or the next, a surrender will only get 1-2 days and a stray will only get 5 days.

And if I may just add this:

Please everybody Spay/Neuter your dog,

All around Ireland The Pounds & Rescues are full of UNWANTED DOGS & PUPPIES, and the only answer to this is NEUTER---- NEUTER and stop the unwanted.

No Creatures on this site please............................................................

symphony
23-06-2006, 08:01 AM
The mere idea of giving away pets for free on this sends shudders down my back. Yes, you see many pets in papers for free; but who's to say that this is right? You often see ads aswell saying things like "Any breed of dog wanted, call 08-whatever," or "Free dog needed to be guard dog" and so on. You'd wonder, would you not, why a person wants any breed of dog? Is it for dog fighting? Abuse? Testing? What?

Giving away dogs free on here, or any animal for that matter be it a fish, a cat, a horse, a guinea pig without a homecheck, is quite possibly as bad as verbally saying you condone this animal to an uncertain life by your own hands!!!

If someone no longer wants their pet, there are plenty of nonkill rescues in the country, plenty of pounds (and yes, i firmly believe that being pts is better than some fates that animals end up in!), there are both large and small animal rescues ... i would never ever give away a living creature without checking to see where it was going ... i couldnt have that on my conscience ...

i dont know how anyone else could either ....

tracytoo
24-06-2006, 01:02 PM
i have to agree that to do this would not be a good idea. My first thought would be dog fighting. People may think this does not go on but it is a fact of life and these people would use animals for this purpose. Please do not allow this to happen. There are plenty of animal rescues in this country. We as a nation are one of the worst. Our pts record is 40% higher than in England per population. That is a staggering fact. 55 dogs are put to sleep every day in ireland. Please think long and hard about getting a dog so that you will not be put in a position where your animal needs to be rehomed. Spay and nueter if you are. Thanks.

maura rua
25-06-2006, 10:42 AM
I think the ethos of jumbletown is excellent, we all have so many things that are surplus to requirements that other people could happily use.

It would be a shame if such an ethical site was to perpetuate the abuse of pets that happens in ireland by allowing them to be treated as objects and not as sentient living creatures with need and wants.

Far too many pets are destroyed in Ireland every year, 16,000 dogs in local authority pounds just last year. The number of cats killed is unknown.

I would support what other people on the forum have said, that there are rescue centres all over Ireland who are flooded with unwanted animals who would love to be given a happy home.

Anyone thinking of getting a pet, please go and visit. You will have some idea of the animal you are getting which is far better than an impulse buy from a freebie.

Lets make Jumbletown an animal free zone, please.

kearney
25-06-2006, 01:46 PM
not under any circumstances.

Dave Hagan
27-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your views.

JumbleTown has not changed its policy: the exchange of all animals/pets is banned on JumbleTown.

Any JumbleTown Member who might have an unwanted animal should contact the following web sites:

http://www.dspca.ie/

http:///catsaid.org

Regards
Dave Hagan
Admin